Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
cara89felicia
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by cara89felicia »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

no probably not lol, but then again, i really like to drive fast. and i looked up the picture of that car online and it's beautiful.unnessesary? sure. but i wouldn't look that gift horse in the mouth.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
i think that charlie was just worried. and he didn't understand why billy wasn't more worried. to charlie, jake was still jsut a sophomore, while in reality he was definitly strong enough to take care of himself. besides, if billy were to go looking for jake and put up posters it would cause more problems than it would solve. billy knew jake was safe, and even if he wanted to stop him he couldn't. jake was going to make his own decision. charlie did'nt know all the details so he couldn't knwo any better than a 15 year old is out there on his own.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?

i liked the reactions alot actually. i think charlie responded just the way i imagined he would. i didn't expect him to say what he did about telling renee but once i saw that i knew it fit. and renee's reaction was entirely appropriate. bella and her mother always had their roles switched, bella being the more grounded, mature of hte two. so it would make sense that renee, being as intuitive as she was, would see this coming. and that she would be okay with it, because she knows bella well enough to know she wouldn't take that decision lightly.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?

no! i was so excited for the wedding! im one of those girls that guys are afraid of, who has all these ideas of what my wedding will someday be like. i have my music and flowers and colors and dress all figured out lol. so i couldn't wait to read that part because i knew it would be romantic. and i'm a sucker for the romance. i was so glad jake showed up though. it made it clear that he could still be there for bella, even though she was already married to edward. obviously, the part where he flipped out wasn't cool. but it fit him none the less.
kimmyBEE
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by kimmyBEE »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
I think I might have been at first, but I wouldn't have been all self-conscious when I drove it around town... definitely not to the point of "going without pop-tarts and shoelaces." Typical, silly Bella.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.

Of course! Charlie wasn't in on "the secret" at this point, and Billy was his best friend. It's only natural that he'd want to take a step towards finding Jacob. If you look at the situation from an outsider's perspective, it IS really alarming that Billy didn't seem to care about finding his son.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?

I understood both of their reactions completely, especially since I know that's how my parents would have reacted. I thought Charlie's reaction was adorable.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
I was excited, especially since I had this crazy theory about how the Volturi were going to show up during the wedding and start a fight.
Alice's Party Planning Committee: Bag Carrier
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by Lieziewiezie »

Even more so. I wouldn't drive it at all. I'd make him return it and let him buy me a less expensive car and one that falls out less. Else I'd say I'd just drive my bike all the time, or even better a motorcycle. He wouldn't want me to be in danger so he would agree.
I wouldn't drive it.

I do understand him. He cares about Billy and Jacob. He thinks how he would feel if it was Bella and he doesn't understand why Billy doesn't do a thing. He just wants to help out, I think he might believe Billy doesn't want to search Jacob cause he is scared of what may come out.

Haha, priceless!
I thought it was awsome that Charlie's threat was to let Bella tell Rennee. And then Renee reacting the complete opposite way anyone expected. Truly priceless.

I was very much excited for the wedding. We need all the Bella and Edward romance we can get and I was really curious to see what Alice did. I was convinced Jacob would show up. For him, at the time, it was his thought that it would be the last time he was able to see Bella human. Jacob loves Bella and he wouldn't let that last opportunity go by. He would hate himself for the rest of his life if he didn't.
Thanks MRK for the banner!
Is a proud part of the Gen Y Lexily to escape reality!
iamthevampiregirl
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by iamthevampiregirl »

Absoloutly! Especially if I knew I would never be able to repay them with something as expensive.

I don't know, I never really thought about those posters.

I thought that he went waaaay too easy on her, SHE'S EIGHTEEN!! I also think that Renee went too easy on her as well - I mean, Bella isn't really THAT mature - .

I wasn't nervous, just really excited. I had no clue that Jacob would show up, but I was a little upset when she danced with him, especially when she knew that they both had controversial feelings for each other.
nafereti
Has Caught Sight of Edward
Location: roll'n wit the turtles, run'n wit the wolves & Taylor's Left Pec

Post by nafereti »

In a way, yeah! I don't really like receiving gifts from people for now reason. I mean, if it was my birthday or christmas, then I will accept the gift. But especially a car. I would not accept it.

Hard question. In a way, I think Charlie did have a right because Jacob is his bestfriend's son. He watched the kid grow up & everything, so Charlie sees him as a son. And if his real dad wasn't doing anything about it (even though Billy knows why Jake's gone) then Charlie has a right to do so.

OMG, I couldn't stop laughing when I read it. Seriously, now a days the only reason why teens get married is because the girl is pregnant. Charlie was right to think that way; I would have as well if I was Charlie. TOO FUNNY!!

Renee, well I really didn't care about her reaction. Her character was always a blur to me.

Okay so I'm Team Jacob & I really wanted her not to marry Edward...LOL but I knew she was so I was just like BLAH throughout it all. I knew Jacob will show up at the end, I mean, it's his best friend's wedding. Even though Jacob's character is a jerk some times, he will never be that big of a jerk to miss it. Right when Edward & Bella were dancing and Edward started to led her outside. I knew it was Jacob. I was getting all happy & when I read the part when Bella mentioned his name, I was crying :cry: seriously!! No joke, I couldn't stop.
Team Turtle//Skank Pack-Tay's L.Pec//Dork Squad-SuperSonicSamoan
TEAM TAYCOB WEBSITE: http://teamtaycob.webs.com/
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

Are you kidding? Of course not! A new car would be wicked! 8-) But I can understand why Bella is so er... whiny about it. I wish she could be okay with that. She'd be a Cullen, so her life was about to change, financially speaking.

Probably he was a bit over the top, as Chief of Police. But I think as a friend of the family, of course he'd do anything he could to find Jacob. The well being of a person, especially of a minor, is more important than formalities like jurisdiction. I think that's why he didn't get into any trouble.

That was a surprise. I thought they'd make a scandal. That maybe Charlie would be furious and Renee might stop talking to Bella. But they were really great. Charlie's reaction was hilarious. And Renee was awsome and caring. And she was so right standing by Bella's side and supporting her decision.

Yes, I thought Jacob would crash the wedding and kidnap Bella or something. Or that maybe Bella would chicken out in the last minute and give up on everything. She was so reluctant about the wedding.
Cookies
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Cookies »

Of course! I would feel like he was trying to spoil me :[

I don't know about this one, I mean, Charlie has been a friend of the family for such a long time. He doesnt know at that time that Jake is a shape-shifter so of course he would be worried.

LOL. E <3 C 4EVA!! Even if Charlie and Renee objected, Edward would find some way of convincing them to allow him to wed Bella.

I wasn't nervous for the wedding, I'm fraid. I thought that Jacob would do something stupid, like crash the party and transform. And when the vicar says something like, "i there is anyone who objects to this union blaah, speak now or forever hold your silence", he would jump in. I know, I'm weird :p
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb ..."

Hug me :)
Mara Jade Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

Nope. But then again, I'm not as averse to gifts or extravagance as Bella. Plus, he bought the very safe, secure car for her out of love and concern for her welfare. So that the car could wrap itself around her even when he couldn't keep her safe in his arms. How could you complain about that? *happy sigh*

I don't really think that it was Charlie's place to put up the posters if his father didn't approve of it. But at the same time, Charlie probably feels like Bella does (to an extent) about Jacob--that he is family. So Charlie would be quite worried about Jacob in his own right.

Although we're obviously going to side with Bella and Edward since we know all that happened between them, you can't blame Charlie for being a little hesitant about it. Bella and Edward (supposedly) are only 18. Bella has never really had other relationships to compare this one to. She has not gone to college or experienced the world. In normal circumstances, the odds for a successful life would be stacked against them. (Yes, we all know that these are not normal circumstances, but Charlie doesn't know that). He's seen how Edward hurt her so deeply in the past by leaving her. And in general, past behavior predicts future behavior. So who's to say that he won't leave her again in the future? (Again, from Charlie's POV). Add to that his own history with marrying a 17 or 18-year-old Renee. That didn't exactly turn out well.
This being said, he also loves his daughter and wants her to be happy. And Edward seems to make her happy. He knows his strong-willed child and also knows Renee's opinion on marrying young. So he decides to let her be the heavy.

What surprised me is Renee's reaction (as it did Bella). She seemed to expect it. And she gave Bella her blessing. You have to love Renee for that and for telling Bella explicitly that her own mistakes are not necessarily going to be Bella's. I think that this was Bella's biggest hang-up on marrying Edward. And to have it so soundly repealed was a gift to Bella.

Having watched a lot of soaps and read a lot of comic books, weddings are always ripe for some catastrophy to interrupt or ruin them (look at Deathly Hallows). I was happy that it didn't happen until the reception and that it wasn't a scene that the whole assembly saw--that it was a more private conflict. But it did place a bit of a damper on their special night.
No. I didn't expect Jacob to come. I was surprised. The poor boy had good intentions. Its too bad that both stubborn and hot-headed dispositions got in the way. But no blood was shed at least.
Team Edward
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward? I would accept anything from Edward.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.I think Charlie was being unneccasaringly overbearing.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted? I thought that Charlie would harm and cuss out my Edward. lol I think Renee's reaction was normal. She said what I thought she would've.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up? I wasn't nervous. No I didn't. He ruined the moment. :evil:
bella_love3
Learning to Love Green

Post by bella_love3 »

I personally would not mind exccepting the gift but as from Bella's point of view of it making the uneven gap between them worse, it makes sense.

I think he did because he feels a fatherly bond with Jacob and for someone who is out of the secret circle Jacob's disappearance is a big deal.

I thought it was really funny that he left all the punishing up to Renee. But I also was extremely disatisfied with the reaction. I just thought there would be a big fight. I was also suprised by Renee's reaction but she does seem like a free spirited person who would allow her daughter to marry as long as she was "happy."

I really wasn't nervous I was just so excited that I couldn't possibly wait and think about it! At that point I was thinking Jacob who....?