Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Aro

Post by Lunna-san »

Ugh. He creeps me out since day one. Okay, he's very nice and polite, but also greedy. His tendency of collecting people is so scary. Everyone is "dear ones" and at the same time, can be killed so easily. At least, Caius is an old bat and you know it. But Aro is unpredictible. He can either let you live and murder you with the very same smile. I wonder where SM based his character. I don't know why he makes me think of Lucrezia Borgia. I bet he killed people with the very same sweet smile. Sick.
Tegan
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Tegan »

Lunna-san (why not chan?), are you a collector? My dad collects coins (ooh, pretty shiny), and some people would think that he was mad for buying something that's worth added up to $3.85 for over $80. On the other hand, my dad probably thinks that $80 is a perfectly reasonable price for a 1975 (or whatever. I don't collect coins) mint set.

I don't know if this counts, but I skip my lunch every day at school in order to hoard up my money so that I can spend it on nice things later.

A collector may do crazy things in order to add to their collection, but never unreasoable.
vegasn8ive
Learning to Love Green

Post by vegasn8ive »

Let's face it, Aro is creepy. Whether you like him or not he's creepy. And fascinating. But after what I just read on the BD FAQs on SM's website, yeah.... I'm back to creepy. Poor Marcus. And poor Didyme. :(
FidoLover
Settled in Forks

Post by FidoLover »

Haha everyone's saying that Aro is creepy, but i think he's really interesting. I think he's a little odd, but to be honest, I find him hilarious. I always end up loving the bad guys of the books :P I love the Volturi. Aro doesn't fit the stereotypical type of villain. He's really eccentric, kind of sly, an exceptional character, and his mind kind of works in a different way. I do admit though, the whole "peace" thing got annoying but oh well. There's just something about him that I love.
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Post by Alcyone »

My man is a self-centered, conniving, savage beast. I love him.
Set by *cullens & converse | AB Type
Astralflight
Settled in Forks

Post by Astralflight »

Aro creeps me out. Even more so after I read SM's BD faq.

Apparently, he changed his younger sister [Didyme] because he hoped that she would have a gift that would make his coven more powerful. Didyme's gift was a little like Jasper's, since she carried an aura of happiness, so people around her were happy. Then Marcus fell in love with her, which wasn't unusual, but she fell in love with him too. So they were tremendously happy, and after centuries, they made plans to leave the Volturi. Aro wanted Marcus' gift because it was more useful than his sister's gift, so when no one was looking, he murdered his sister to keep Marcus from leaving. Then he got Chelsea to keep Marcus loyal to the Volturi.

And even now, Marcus has no idea that Didyme was killed by Aro.

And that is why Aro is creepy. He isn't as direct as Caius, but more sneaky and gets away with it. He wanted power so much that he killed his sister for it.
Tegan
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Tegan »

Ooh, I read that! I was delighted that Aro had a sister, she must have been such a darling little thing. It's a shame he killed her, but little matters like that can't be helped.
It's little things like that that make my Aro Aro. *swoon*
Alcyone

Post by Alcyone »

Astralflight wrote:And that is why Aro is creepy. He isn't as direct as Caius, but more sneaky and gets away with it. He wanted power so much that he killed his sister for it.
That's who he is. What he did was awful, of course, but it was what he deemed necessary. He is a self-centered individual seeking to further himself, even at the cost of those around him. He has a coldly brilliant mind.

Interesting how many have reacted indignant at the knowledge that he killed his sister, but did not suffer the same reaction upon learning Aro also slaughtered an entire village of humans because they burned Jane and Alec at the stake. It's entirely unsurprising that he would willingly sacrifice his own family to his ambition.

Which brings up an interesting note. Does he love Sulpicia and care for her as his wife or is she now important simply for the fact that she is his mate and her destruction would have an averse effect on him?
Tegan
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Tegan »

Alcyone wrote:Which brings up an interesting note. Does he love Sulpicia and care for her as his wife or is she now important simply for the fact that she is his mate and her destruction would have an averse effect on him?

I wish that Stephenie had told us more about the Volturi, but guessing is always fun, I suppose. Aro and Caius keep their wives locked up in a tower, so I suppose that they can't be all that...loved. On that note, I'm going for the latter.

I wish that Stephenie had talked more about the wives. It's almost as if they were just shadows. There was no real point to them in the story. I wouldn't have thought that she would have mentioned them unless they were important.
Alcyone

Post by Alcyone »

Tegan wrote:I wish that Stephenie had talked more about the wives. It's almost as if they were just shadows. There was no real point to them in the story. I wouldn't have thought that she would have mentioned them unless they were important.
Same here. I imagined that, due to their being mentioned, they would play a larger role in the end. At least have them speak. Marcus spoke to everyone's shock. Why not them? *sigh*