Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Post by -Jasper »

I don't know anything about him, so I can't really judge him.

There is a letter that he's written on Stephenie Meyer's site, and he seems quite nice.

Hope he does a good job, because New Moon will be difficult to film, what with all the werewolves, cliff diving etc. He also has high expectations from fans. Good luck!
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
Dazzled_by_Cullens
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by Dazzled_by_Cullens »

I don't know much about him either. I never read the Golden Compass, but I heard that the movie was very different from the book. I thought the movie was slightly confussing at parts and the ending was very abrupt. But, besides that I thought the imagery and the film were so beautiful. I wouldn't mind seeing some of his visuals come to life in New Moon. But I don't think it was all CH's fault either. Melissa had/has a lot to do with it too. She wrote the screen play. I can only hope that New Moon will be better followed and no unecessary added scenes. The fan base is huge and we don't need/want that added in there. Just my opinion.
I left my heart on the Gen Y thread...I my LEXILY
Nerd
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Nerd »

As I mentioned on TST.com, I'm a little apprehensive of the director change. For one, each director has a distinct style, and it's always a little unnerving -- for me -- when a new director starts on a franchise. I hated it when Singer left X-Men and I REALLY hated it when Christopher Columbus left Harry Potter. Sometimes directors change just little things or they go in a whole new direction and you can SEE it. It kind of messes with the continuity.

I don't think I've seen much of Chris Weitz's work. I did watch The Golden Compass, though, and I LOVED it. Until I read the books. I understand that the subject matter was very sensitive and that they altered some of the references to Catholicism to make the movie more family friendly. However, they changed a LOT of things unnecessarily. Character names, they switched scenes around, they changed the characters THEMSELVES... And maybe I should be blaming that on the writer. I'm not sure. I just know that as a movie, I loved it; as an adaptation, I was repulsed.

But since Twilight isn't even remotely as controversial as His Dark Materials, maybe everything will work out. The graphics, for one, were AMAZING in TGC.

(On a side note: D: I finally get my computer back tonight, only to find out that tomorrow, the boards will commence their brief hiatus.)
Skank Bale Image Let's roll! | Klutzy Chanteus | Official member of the Dork Squad
Visit here & here DAILY to donate to my city! | Thoughts of a Twi-hard: A Blog of Rants
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by JenJen2112 »

^^the studio, New Line, played a huge part in deviating GC from the book....they didn't want to tackle the sensitive subject matter...I loved the movie too because I didn't connect it to the book...by itself it is a good movie...
Nerd
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Nerd »

Ah. I shall deviate my wrath toward them. *glareglare* xD

I'll definitely have to check out some of his other movies in the mean time.
Skank Bale Image Let's roll! | Klutzy Chanteus | Official member of the Dork Squad
Visit here & here DAILY to donate to my city! | Thoughts of a Twi-hard: A Blog of Rants
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

If the movie does end up sucking...I'll join any army that is going after Wietz. I don't really have an opinion on him either, if he does the movie well and sticks to the story line then great; he's awesome in my book. But, if he does it wrong, well I'll hunt him down. :x *evil glare*

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I haven't seen any of his other movies so I really don't know what to expect from him. As long as he does a good job w/NM, stay true to the story &the characters, he'll be okay by me. I'm just going to wait for the finished product of NM (In a year!) to pass any judgement.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
cutesweetiezzz
Fishing with Charlie

Post by cutesweetiezzz »

pennybug84 wrote:I haven't seen any of his other movies so I really don't know what to expect from him. As long as he does a good job w/NM, stay true to the story &the characters, he'll be okay by me. I'm just going to wait for the finished product of NM (In a year!) to pass any judgement.

Same here. I haven't seen any of his movie, but I'm planning too. I want to see some of his previous material, so I'll know what to expect from him in New Moon. I agree. He better stay true to the storyline and the characters or he'll regret big time.
Thank you Camille for making me this banner and being such an amazing friend and person. Love you. <3
Dragon's_Gypsy
Wandering Through Town

Post by Dragon's_Gypsy »

I finally saw The Golden Compass. While I didn't read the book, I liked it as a movie. I could tell there was a lot left out (including the wth ending) but I think it's already been established that wasn't CW's fault. I feel more confident that NM will be okay in his hands as long as Summit doesn't try to stand in the way like New Line did.
Team Edward
Because Jacob just can't fight with an eclipse
switzgal
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by switzgal »

I haven't read TGC but I TiVOed the movie tonight and will be watching it.

So curious to see a Weitz directed movie. I haven't seen About a Boy.