Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Re: Aro

Post by Amethyst1 »

I recently finished harry potter and the half-blood prince (like 3 days ago), after finishing it, Aro's character really went into question for me.
Why is it is that he is so similar to Voldemort? It couldn't be that Stephenie based Aro of off Voldemort. I don't want to believe that, but they are so alike, i can't deny that.
I love Aro, i really love him. Nothing romantic about it, but i just love his character. He's one of my favourites. He's his own person, but the alikes between him and Tom (Riddle) are the "love for domination, kills to reach his ambitions, wants to rule the vampire world (where he is doing that, but that's what he wanted for so long).." along with other things. I agree, they have their differences. But they are so alike, and for that, i decided that i love Voldemort more and Aro second - the point of my post is not who i like more but the just the similarities.
DumBumm
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by DumBumm »

malaz wrote:I recently finished harry potter and the half-blood prince (like 3 days ago), after finishing it, Aro's character really went into question for me.
Why is it is that he is so similar to Voldemort? It couldn't be that Stephenie based Aro of off Voldemort. I don't want to believe that, but they are so alike, i can't deny that.
I love Aro, i really love him. Nothing romantic about it, but i just love his character. He's one of my favourites. He's his own person, but the alikes between him and Tom (Riddle) are the "love for domination, kills to reach his ambitions, wants to rule the vampire world (where he is doing that, but that's what he wanted for so long).." along with other things. I agree, they have their differences. But they are so alike, and for that, i decided that i love Voldemort more and Aro second - the point of my post is not who i like more but the just the similarities.
I don't know... i really couldn't base Aro on Voldemort, only because everyone thinks that Aro is bad, like his the Voldemort in the twilight saga, but, his not... Edward said it in BD that The Volturi are not bad, there basically doing there job, to protect their secret, but because it's in Bella's point of view, she thinks that The Volturi are evil.
I'd like to see that in Edward's point of view, to see what he thinks of The Volturi.
But i do Agree with Aro being power hungry.
AnnieBee
Settled in Forks

Post by AnnieBee »

I have read some of the opinions and thoughts expressed on the topic, Aro, and I wonder if I was the only one who picked up what to me was so obvious. And right off the bat, I HATE ARO!!!!
Yes, Aro is all in for "control" over the vampire community??? (to call it something) But he was also in for amassing more powers for the Volturi, just not to say for himself.
I am guessing he made the decision to attack the Cullens, once Jane returned to them and told them the Cullens had exterminated the 20 or 21 newborns without the help of the Volturi. (Eclipse)I think Aro processed this info in two ways; the Cullens are threat to the Voluturi, (seeing them as extremely powerful after the 411 from Jane, Felix and Demitri) or the Cullens must be brought into his fold.
He always had a hidden agenda while he was "counseling" with Caius and Marcus. I read someone felt Aro was the "Meekest", I would say he was the most "calculating" of them all. As such, he was able to weigh the immediate consequences of their every move and decision. He was a humongous hypocrite!Trying to appear all fair and open-minded to his witnesses, pftttt!
LOL, I'm getting all worked up! :roll: No, I disliked his character since his first appearance in New Moon. That sweet, calming, sugar dripping voice was equal to DANGER-DANGER-DANGER!!!!

(I listened to the CD's, maybe that had a bigger impact on me than the written word.)
bella+edward4eva
Wandering Through Town

Post by bella+edward4eva »

EWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FYI-TWILIGHT ROX!!!!!!
Cookies
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Cookies »

There is only one word to describe Aro ...

COOL.

Well, probably more than one word, but meh. Aro is just simply one of the coolest characters in theh Twilight saga. The way he says "Peace" all the time is a bit annoying, but he reminds me of a creepy old man in some ways. I wish SM told us how old he looked though :/ Ah well...
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb ..."

Hug me :)
chrichelle
Settled in Forks

Post by chrichelle »

Aro... from what I've gathered from this thead, he is probably the most interesting of all of the characters.

I'm one of those who enjoys trying to figure out people. And I would love nothing more than to learn everything I can about him.

I can almost relate to him.. Almost. The horrible obsession with collecting, going to whatever lengths to get what he wants... Take that and tone it down a few (well no, many,) notches and you have me.
Into the Night Aro & OC fanfic by yours truely. Work in progress, FYI
xxonceuponadreamxx
Settled in Forks

Post by xxonceuponadreamxx »

i dont think i would have a problem with it at all if Steph decided to up and turn him into a really good character. I really think that he believes he's doing what's best. He was always so nice to Bella even when she was a human and when i first met him i didnt have a clue why he would stick around with those other guys, they're mean and he's nice. He is one of my favorite bad guys of all time!
Bella is so lucky, everyone in her world is hot...everyone in mine has pimples.
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

malaz wrote:I recently finished harry potter and the half-blood prince (like 3 days ago), after finishing it, Aro's character really went into question for me.
Funny, I never thought of them this way. I really don't think she based Aro in Voldemort and I really doubt it she ever read Harry Potter books.

In a way, they are pretty much alike indeed. They have thrist for power and they are capable of anything to reach their goal. They are also merciless. I'd say that I like Aro better, because of the duality of his character. You can't be sure of what he's thinking. What's his next move. Voldemort is an interesting character and a very scary villan, but you look at him and you're positive that he is evil and that he'll crush the world at the first oportunity. I don't know. They are both cool.
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

How could stephenie meyer have not read the harry potter books! :o

i think that most of the similarities between aro and voldemort are similarities you find between all/most villians.
Think of any other villian, most of them kill to reach their ambitions, want to rule the world, etc. I can't think of many villians right now that don't have at least one of those aspects.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
flow_3
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by flow_3 »

I don't know why but i always think of him as old looking...lol