The Batman Movies

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Kizmet
Wandering Through Town

Re: The Batman Movies

Post by Kizmet »

mcdowellswife wrote:My cousin and I were just talking about this movie over the weekend. He commented that the movie couldn't be 'that good' because it was rated PG-13.

I disagreed with him--there are elements of horrific violence in the movie (i.e the pencil trick). What makes the movie SO good/dark is that it makes you visualize the destruction, the blood, the gore, etc. It puts you in a really dark place mentally because of all that. My husband described it as being mentally raped.

What do you guys think?
I fully agree with you. In fact, I went to film camp this past summer and one of the things that my teacher emphasized WAS putting things offscreen to make them more powerful than just straight out blood and gore right in front of the audience's eyes.

I loved The Dark Knight so much. Before it came out I'd never had anything to do with Batman. I didn't take it seriously because the only association I had with Batman was my friend from preschool who was obsessed with money, evil, taking over the world, and Batman. But one day my friend asked me if I wanted to see The Dark Knight with her because she had no one to go with, and I was really bored so I said why not. We watched Batman Begins at her house first, and that one was pretty good but kind of confusing at the beginning, and then we went and saw The Dark Knight. I ended up seeing it 3 more times after that and will definitely buy it when it comes out on DVD, which is saying a lot because I almost never buy movies.
Proud Twilighter since October 21, 2006.
Waffle of Doom
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie
Location: On the Mafia's Living Room Floor, Plotting the Takeover of Japan

Post by Waffle of Doom »

mcdowellswife wrote:My cousin and I were just talking about this movie over the weekend. He commented that the movie couldn't be 'that good' because it was rated PG-13.

I disagreed with him--there are elements of horrific violence in the movie (i.e the pencil trick). What makes the movie SO good/dark is that it makes you visualize the destruction, the blood, the gore, etc. It puts you in a really dark place mentally because of all that. My husband described it as being mentally raped.

What do you guys think?
I agree with you, the way that the violence takes place is on a much more mental level then, say a slasher flick, because a movie with a lot of gore to it doesn't take any imagination, and is usually pretty cheesy, and if you see it more then once it is not as likely to affect you the same way again because you know what's going to happen and you don't have to think about it; where The Dark Knight doesn't show blood, guts, or gore so even though you may know that something is going to happen, since you have to visualize the gore for yourself it can be different every time, therefore just as shocking and scary as the first time you saw it.

Because of how The Dark Knight is so mentally linked it reminds me of The Silence of the Lambs, which doesn't really show any gore, but is still frightening because the characters are so far off the usual level of insane.
FanFiction /Twilight Mafia ~Angry Little Sabina/ Team Laurent~ Co-Boss/Volturi~ Jinx
heartofmp*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by heartofmp* »

Wish.I.may wrote:^^ Agreed.
I saw it twice; Once on a small screen theater, and another time on the IMAX.
I was in the front row. O.O
Awesome.
That sounds like me,I saw it on our local theater for the midnight showing, then we had to drive all the way to Nashville to see it in the IMAX theater, we got lost on the way there (took the wrong turn) and ended up getting there in time to get in the 2nd row,all the way at the end.. but it was still AMAZING...Heath Ledger as a nurse...wow... he did such a great job! I don't think anyone could have any better as The Joker...Heath definetly set the standards higher than high!
one_tuff_muffin
Wandering Through Town
Location: FLoating in an ocean of tie dye with the beatles playing in the background

Post by one_tuff_muffin »

I know this sounds really bizarre,but... *whispers* I kind of liked the joker :oops:.. I mean like everytime he came up i would just squeal..like ooh!sucha bad Why are we talking about a donkey? :p
sue me now!
Edward- my official :}bamf{: of all time
<3Pastry Sisters<3
Proud member of the Dorks United crew
sarah-belle
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by sarah-belle »

I've only seen The Dark Night. I haven't seen any other Batman movies because, well, I really don't like Batman. I was more or less dragged to see The Dark Night. But I love it. I am obsessed. I have a poster, a shirt, and I'm getting the DVD for Christmas. It's only because of the Joker, though. Heath was just too amazing. Without him, I would have thought it was completely boring.
Image Image
Are we wasting time or is it wasting us?
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by JenJen2112 »

I thought The Dark Knight was absolutely amazing...very sad it was Ledger's last finished project...he was amazing as the Joker...I really like Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman...I think he shows his internal struggle very well...They are going to re-release the film into theaters in January but I wonder if many people will go see it in theaters again with the DVD already available...I guess only time will tell
Kizmet
Wandering Through Town

Post by Kizmet »

JenJen2112 wrote:very sad it was Ledger's last finished project...
very very sad, but DANG what a way to go out.
Proud Twilighter since October 21, 2006.
ImBettingOnAlice
Settled in Forks

Post by ImBettingOnAlice »

i friken love the dark knight its a dang good movie :P
What if im not the superhero. What if im the bad guy?

dazzlingdynamite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by dazzlingdynamite »

One of my fave films ever . . . It's just so intense and dark, and utterly twisted.
Heath had me rooting for the Joker, and that really scared me . . . to want a masochistic, schizophernic, pshycopath win . . . dang, he has to win that damn oscar!!!

I loved each and every performance . . . particuarly Eckhart's . . . his Harvey Dent was wonderfully portrayed, especially the fact that as much as we try we're all capable of so many dark things, the human race are unpredicatable. Theres a villan inside all of us, in some it's buried so deep it never sees the light of day, in other's it breaks free and takes over . . .

My mother read one of my pages in a project I'm writing and was pretty horrified at my bleak outlook of humanity . . . she says I scare her!
Call That a Comeback?
YOU ME AT SIX
heifergrl1
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Location: Following the ever so saucy Eric Northman around...a lot...

Post by heifergrl1 »

I loved the Dark Knight so much! It was so intense and it left me feeling amazing and partially depressed at the same time. Just cause we cant' see Heath on the screen anymore, but he was an amazing Joker. He was able to pull off being such a scary person and make you realize that there are people like that. That commit crimes just cause they can. Like when he said the whole dog chasing cars and he wouldn't know what to do if he actually got one. Its alarming that there are people like that, but it make for an amazing movie.

-Elizabeth
Oh the deliciousness!
E<3B