Click for Forum Rules

Edi Gathegi as Laurent

Postby Pel » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:18 pm

A place to discuss Edi.
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Re: Edi Gathegi as Laurent

Postby SwitzerlandXGirl7 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:16 pm

WOW i just joined and i'm the first to post???!!!??? Well in his "scene" in a clip i think he did a wonderfull job accents perfect and he is a good actor but i am in NO WAY racist but um i never imagened him black........ i mean it's defrent in a good way but i actully never really thought about how he looked because stephenie never really described him so................. oh well i think he's really good!!
SwitzerlandXGirl7
Settled in Forks

Postby katie3605 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:16 am

i'm in no way racist at all either but i agree with you, i definitely did not imagine Laurent being black. especially since SM's description of him in TW was "his skin olive-toned beneath the typical pallor"... basically implying he was probably tanned like Jacob before he was changed and is now covered in the paleness of vampire world. but i love the way Edi's accent works with Laurent's character. that part alone made me suspend my disbelief and be happy with who they chose.
katie3605
Settled in Forks

Postby mlola619 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:21 am

I loved his accent in the trailer- and judging from HOUSE i'm sure he'll pull off his role effectively; he's a good actor in my opinion...
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Postby cidluen » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:31 am

SwitzerlandXGirl7 and katie3605- I never imagined Laurent black either so it was a shock to me at first too, even though I knew Mr. Gathegi from House and Gone Baby Gone I simply didn't picture Laurent black at the beggining. It's not racism, I'm mestiza ;) . Time, the accent and the clip finally convinced me he was perfect in the role, different but in a good way. So, we had the same reaction :D

PS: Loved Cole in House and Cheese in Gone Baby Gone XP
cidluen
Wandering Through Town

Postby ummplz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:21 pm

cidluen wrote:SwitzerlandXGirl7 and katie3605- I never imagined Laurent black either so it was a shock to me at first too

Yeahh, same here. I was just like I imagined something way different, but he seems really good, accent especially.
I imagined Laurent someone more like.. Gaspard Ulliel
Old Account Name: TeamEdward/Robert ! (L)
ummplz
Settled in Forks

Postby awesomejen1 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:00 pm

I don't think SM intended for him to be black in the books (Olive toned is deep tan) but usually in Movies they will play with a characters race/appearance if it doesn't mess with the story line, mainly to make sure everyone is "represented"...it's common in movies and TV

I think Edi's Laurent is going to kick ace...I can see it!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~awesomejen
Cool graphic stuff from MRK! Thanks!
awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Postby samajama » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:37 pm

i love edi. he;s so cool. i loved him on House.
and, i too, and in no way racist, but honestly, Laurent shouldnt be black.
he was described as having "olive-toned skin," first of all
and second, hes a vampire, so should he be pale-ish? ok, that came out bad, but seriosuly.
oh well. i suppose they did this to not seem racist or whatever.
possibly the reason eric is asian - also, did not see that one coming.
but i love edi, so i guess it doesnt matter, hell be an awesome laurent and ill be sad when he dies in new moon even though i shouldnt, haha :lol:
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Postby mammadawg » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:42 pm

SwitzerlandXGirl7 wrote:WOW i just joined and i'm the first to post???!!!??? Well in his "scene" in a clip i think he did a wonderfull job accents perfect and he is a good actor but i am in NO WAY racist but um i never imagened him black........ i mean it's defrent in a good way but i actully never really thought about how he looked because stephenie never really described him so................. oh well i think he's really good!!

lol - omg - I'm so GLAD to find out that I'm not the only one who didn't picture him black. But you're right - he is a great actor - he did a nice job in the mini-clips I've seen.

Which are probably too many. My son said last night, "Mom? Are you looking at Twilight videos again?" ;)
mammadawg
Settled in Forks

Postby mammadawg » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:43 pm

awesomejen1 wrote:I don't think SM intended for him to be black in the books (Olive toned is deep tan) but usually in Movies they will play with a characters race/appearance if it doesn't mess with the story line, mainly to make sure everyone is "represented"...it's common in movies and TV

I think Edi's Laurent is going to kick ace...I can see it!

You're right! I was thinking the same thing - making sure we're all "represented." :)
mammadawg
Settled in Forks

Next

Return to The Cast List