Bella Swan Cullen #2

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules

Bella Swan Cullen #2

Postby Bronze Haired Girl » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:08 pm

This is the place to discuss all the things you've wondered about Bella as an individual. Keep posts about Edward and Bella's relationship to the general discussion forum.

Edward and Bella's relationship discussion found here.

Please remember the Discussion Guidelines. Posts will be edited or deleted as needed at the moderators' discretion without warning.

Remember to be civil and respectful of other people's opinions.
Image
Banner by urcoolcarrie
User avatar
Bronze Haired Girl
Human History Archivist
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Driving through the Tennessee mountains with Emmett

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Postby footloose » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:18 pm

I'm rereading New Moon and this is what I think. I think it makes sense for Bella to be attracted to Jacob to an extent because she truly believes that her relationship with Edward is over, that he doesn't want her anymore. I actually sympathize with her when Laurent tells her that Edward must not think she's all that important to leave her alone in Forks, and yet despite the pain the words cause her, Bella still says (paraphrasing) "Edward I'm going to die, I love you." At that point, I really wanted to kick Edward's a** for hurting her so much even when he means well. As he says in Eclipse, he leaves Bella bleeding, so it's only realistic that she turns to the only person who can heal her (Jacob) and ends up falling in love with him.

However, this doesn't sit right with me in the context of this story because 1) SM always makes us think that Bella cannot live without Edward, and yet after he leaves (no matter for what reason), she fights to continue her life, and 2) SM portrays Bella as a constant person who doesn't change her mind about things, and yet she falls for Jacob pretty easily. So it's kinda out of character for her to fall for Jacob so fast when she has just lost Edward. And malaz, i think you hit the nail on the head when you said in the previous thread that it's ridiculous that she wasn't aware of her feelings for Jacob before Eclipse, since in NM she already refers to Jacob as more than a friend. I wonder if this is a glitch in the author's part.

Another thing I find illogical is how torn she is even when Edward is THERE. It's still a bit acceptable for her to re-examine her options when Edward is gone and (presumably) not going back. But in Eclipse, her LIFE and FUTURE is there BY HER SIDE, and yet she's still TORN between him and the other guy!!! it's almost like she takes Edward for granted, that she only feels what it cost her when he leaves, and when he's around, she easily seeks other distractions. It just contradicts the way SM presents her character in Twilight and part of NM. :roll:

I can't hate Jacob cos he only does what he needs to do: seize the opportunity while he still can. An opportunity that won't exist if Bella had been consistent with her heart :roll:
Last edited by footloose on Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
footloose
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:23 pm

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Postby leahroselover » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:21 pm

^
To just repeat. It doesnt make sense because Jacob was never Supposed to be a love interest with Bella in the original storyline. So its weird
Image
Avi By Kaitlin @B&E.com
Sig by Electrimafried @ASN
Why Edward Hates Blonde's Pg-13 : A Dark/Romance/Comedy Fic
User avatar
leahroselover
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Postby holdingoutforjacob » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:17 am

well, i think that we are being a little rough on Bella here.

I mean, honestly, how do you expect a 17 year old to only ever fall in love with one person ever?? how does that work? of course Bella THINKS she will only ever love Edward. But that's simply unrealistic.

I don't think she fell for Jacob easily at all.... I really don't understand where you are getting that from.

i think that in the context of how SM portrays bella she seems to be different than she is.

in the context of real life, i don't think it was bad for bella to have another love interest. i think it was necessary. i think edward knew it was necessary, that was his thing all along, to make sure she had as many human experiences as possible.

however, that does not mean her treatment of people was right. if she were a little less melodramatic, a little more centered, and her relationship with edward was a little more balanced and healthy, she would have caused everyone a lot less pain.
Image

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
User avatar
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Where the wild things are...

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Postby navarre » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:13 pm

holdingoutforjacob wrote:well, i think that we are being a little rough on Bella here.

I mean, honestly, how do you expect a 17 year old to only ever fall in love with one person ever?? how does that work? of course Bella THINKS she will only ever love Edward. But that's simply unrealistic.

I don't think she fell for Jacob easily at all.... I really don't understand where you are getting that from.

i think that in the context of how SM portrays bella she seems to be different than she is.

in the context of real life, i don't think it was bad for bella to have another love interest. i think it was necessary. i think edward knew it was necessary, that was his thing all along, to make sure she had as many human experiences as possible.

however, that does not mean her treatment of people was right. if she were a little less melodramatic, a little more centered, and her relationship with edward was a little more balanced and healthy, she would have caused everyone a lot less pain.


Great point, HOFJ. Also, SM did establish on her website that one can experience more than one love like romantice love, friendship love, parent/child love. Of course in this case it was romantic/powerful love with Edward and friendship love with Jacob that actually went deeper than Bella ever planned for it to.

Her love for Jacob only demonstrated to Bella that she could love someone else even though it would never, ever be enough, she still could love and Edward to his credit recognized this because his leaving actually allowed this 'door' to be opened in Bella's life and in Jacob's. The price one will sometimes pay when the path to hell is paved with good intentions(Edward leaving). Just a thought.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
User avatar
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Swimming in a sea of books, books and more books

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Postby Amethyst1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:42 pm

footloose wrote:Another thing I find illogical is how torn she is even when Edward is THERE. It's still a bit acceptable for her to re-examine her options when Edward is gone and (presumably) not going back. But in Eclipse, her LIFE and FUTURE is there BY HER SIDE, and yet she's still TORN between him and the other guy!!! it's almost like she takes Edward for granted, that she only feels what it cost her when he leaves, and when he's around, she easily seeks other distractions. It just contradicts the way SM presents her character in Twilight and part of NM. :roll:

thank you for putting that in a way I couldn’t. And I absolutely agree.
See, this is what really [mostly] makes me thinks that bella does not love Edward nearly as much as he loves her. Eclipse was supposed to read this way, that by bella giving up her mortality and her family and denies a supposed “healthier” love, it makes her love for Edward stronger. It never read that way for me - impossible - I suppose I am being a little mean for saying that - I realize it - But how can it be possible that Edward is her “whole life”, she can not live with him but she’s already wagering? - torn over how to pursue? If anything, Eclipse sent Bella’s love for Edward into question for me. Internally, she’s fully committed to Edward or supposedly she is but yet she’s out there getting deeper with someone else. One quote that absolutely manifested it is when she said to Alice “can you still see me becoming a vampire?” and that was like at the end of the book. And well before that her actions and thoughts accentuated the point as well, too but not nearly as much as that quote or the last chapters of eclipse, I suppose.

I honestly don't get it. If she thinks she's committed to Edward as she claims to be, then, isn't it silly to be inlove with someone else?
I get that she fell inlove with Jacob during Edward's absense - but it is contradicting to Bella's character. Another thing to remind me that she was being ridiculous when Edward left her....oh well, she's human afterall, i suppose and that never demonstrates to me "true love" if she can antiquate Edward later on her life EVEN if she still loves him. It's natural she would do that but i am just saying.
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!
 
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Postby SenorGimp » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:26 pm

Sweet, I get one of the first posts on this thread...

I get what you two are saying, malaz and footloose, but the whole point behind everything that Bella does in New Moon, is to drum up danger so she can hear Edward's voice. First she goes to the city and looks for people like the serial rapist dude from twilight, so that she can feel scared and hear edward
Then she goes to Jacob to have him fix up her bikes, so that she can ride them, putting herself in danger (clumsy as she is) to hear edward's voice.
After a while, the thrill of that wears off, so she goes through a whole bunch of other ideas (trying to locate the meadow, cliff-diving, etc.) and Jacob is there for all of that.
So then she starts to feel like she's okay when Jacob is around, because he doesn't try to protect her, he just lets her be her, and rather than thwarting the stupid things she wants to do (like edward would) he acts as a sort of partner in crime, helping her carry out her hair-brained schemes.
Throughout all of this interaction, it's only natural that she might start to develop feelings for Jacob, call it a rebound, call it whatever you want, but I don't think that she's going against her character by so doing.
I mean, come on, she's just lost the most important thing in her life, which can be pretty hard to deal with if you've never had anything important in your life before.
Now when Edward comes back (is brought back by Bella and Alice) at the end of New Moon, and then in Eclipse the whole Jacob or Edward thing starts, Bella is genuinely torn.
Because Edward left her, put a huge hole in her heart, and Jacob helped to fill that hole. But the truth is that, no matter who may come along, no one can ever fill the place of that first love, believe me I know, so when she has to choose between Edward and Jacob, she of course wants to choose Edward, but she doesn't want to hurt Jacob, because he was the only real friend she's ever had, and Edward DID hurt her pretty badly, so she doesn't know if she can trust him anymore, even though she still does love him.
I don't think it's too hard to step into her shoes and feel what she feels, because I've been there trying to fill the hole left by one love with another, and it really is treacherous ground to cover.
I don't know.
Just a thought
Thank you for your time
Image
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
 
Posts: 1120
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: fort collins colorado

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Postby navarre » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:51 pm

SenorGimp wrote:Sweet, I get one of the first posts on this thread...

I get what you two are saying, malaz and footloose, but the whole point behind everything that Bella does in New Moon, is to drum up danger so she can hear Edward's voice. First she goes to the city and looks for people like the serial rapist dude from twilight, so that she can feel scared and hear edward
Then she goes to Jacob to have him fix up her bikes, so that she can ride them, putting herself in danger (clumsy as she is) to hear edward's voice.
After a while, the thrill of that wears off, so she goes through a whole bunch of other ideas (trying to locate the meadow, cliff-diving, etc.) and Jacob is there for all of that.
So then she starts to feel like she's okay when Jacob is around, because he doesn't try to protect her, he just lets her be her, and rather than thwarting the stupid things she wants to do (like edward would) he acts as a sort of partner in crime, helping her carry out her hair-brained schemes.
Throughout all of this interaction, it's only natural that she might start to develop feelings for Jacob, call it a rebound, call it whatever you want, but I don't think that she's going against her character by so doing.
I mean, come on, she's just lost the most important thing in her life, which can be pretty hard to deal with if you've never had anything important in your life before.
Now when Edward comes back (is brought back by Bella and Alice) at the end of New Moon, and then in Eclipse the whole Jacob or Edward thing starts, Bella is genuinely torn.
Because Edward left her, put a huge hole in her heart, and Jacob helped to fill that hole. But the truth is that, no matter who may come along, no one can ever fill the place of that first love, believe me I know, so when she has to choose between Edward and Jacob, she of course wants to choose Edward, but she doesn't want to hurt Jacob, because he was the only real friend she's ever had, and Edward DID hurt her pretty badly, so she doesn't know if she can trust him anymore, even though she still does love him.
I don't think it's too hard to step into her shoes and feel what she feels, because I've been there trying to fill the hole left by one love with another, and it really is treacherous ground to cover.
I don't know.
Just a thought
Thank you for your time


Nice to have a male POV.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
User avatar
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Swimming in a sea of books, books and more books

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Postby leahroselover » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:17 pm

Its true when my Edward left me I went into my own breakdown, where I just needed attention. I just needed to be told I was special and beautiful. Then my mother talked to me about love and suddenly it hit me. The things I was doing was not just going to hurt me, but my family in the long run (I won't get into details about the actions). He left me on June 17, 2006. In August of 2006 I made myself move on.

Belle went on for months and months.
Image
Avi By Kaitlin @B&E.com
Sig by Electrimafried @ASN
Why Edward Hates Blonde's Pg-13 : A Dark/Romance/Comedy Fic
User avatar
leahroselover
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Postby navarre » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:22 pm

leahroselover wrote:Its true when my Edward left me I went into my own breakdown, where I just needed attention. I just needed to be told I was special and beautiful. Then my mother talked to me about love and suddenly it hit me. The things I was doing was not just going to hurt me, but my family in the long run (I won't get into details about the actions). He left me on June 17, 2006. In August of 2006 I made myself move on.

Belle went on for months and months.


I'm glad to hear you're doing fine, leahroselover. :)
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
User avatar
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Swimming in a sea of books, books and more books

Next

Return to Sparkling in the Sun

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests