A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
AshleeTwilight8
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by AshleeTwilight8 »

Haha! I did the same exact thing. The second I realized they were leaving I flipped through until I saw he was back. I still couldn't really relax reading those chapters with him gone. I definately skimmed through those while Edward was gone. I told my husband this morning as soon as I read all 4 I was going to read them again. I was mad at Edward but I still love him so!
"Why am I covered in feathers?"- Bella Swan
"I bit a pillow or two"-Edward Cullen
menner
Wandering Through Town

Post by menner »

This is the part where my sister called me up and screamed about how much of a Why are we talking about a donkey? Edward is. I told her to read on. She still thinks he is a big idiot to do what he did. I think that he was an idiot, but he also thought of Bella. He didn't want her to get physically hurt, so he did what he thought was best. Sometimes when you truly love somone, doing what is best isn't the easiet thing. Edward didn't realize the that she would not be alright without him. He didn't consider the depth of her feelings for him, and as she didn't consider the depths of his feelings for her. Both were blind and acting rather stupid. He should have accepted that she wanted to be with him and turned her into a vampire after Jasper snapped at her. It would have saved both of a lot of grief and pain.
"I'll meet you in the water"
lalilin
Settled in Forks

Post by lalilin »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

A little bit of both...the parts where it was obvious that Edward was being distant I had a feeling that he was going to try to end things with her but he was so much in love with her that I didn't think that he would actually do it.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

Yes...hurts to even think about it. =\

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

Seeing that this happened within the first few chapters of the novel I couldn't really read into what Edward might of been thinking when he broke up with Bella. I did though had a more difficult time believing him than Bella. I found his speech extremely harsh but I thought he would of come to his senses and come back immediately...I was almost sure that he would of showed up when everyone was looking for Bella in the woods...she was in so much pain and it was hard to take that Edward would put her in that much agony. I was definitely wrong though. This chapter was so heartbreaking for me...it was hard to continue after this chapter.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages

I stopped breathing for a second. As I turned the first couple of pages I didn't think much of it but with the next page and the next I literally gasped...I could almost feel the pain that Bella must of gone through.
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by deven »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
well i knew edward was going to do something stupid after the whole incident at her birthday. but i didnt think it would be anywhere near this bad!

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
of course. you can feel things changing in a bad way and cling to what ever you can!

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
edward wouldnt be the one to run back right away...he thought what he was doing was right. i definately didnt believe him. there was no way that he just wouldnt want her any more.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
i was confused at first as to who he was. like he didnt even know bella at all. and i didnt pick up on the werewolf noises and stuff. lol. but that is probably because i was crying to hard to really pay attention to the small stuff

i was so sad! oh gosh i was just bawling and horrified!
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

Certainly did...why had he been so quiet and moody...what was up? I thought it would just be one of his moods though, didnt really know he was leaving for good until he said it.

YES!

I kept expecting him to come back...or change his mind... I thought he would come back for her when she spent all night in the woods...

uh-oh...I was creeped thought he was a bad guy...dunno why?
SAD SAD SAD c'mon Edward how can you do this to her!!!
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise? it didnt take me by surprise, what did was when she asked him if he wanted her and he said No and made it sounds as though he had moved on or could easily .. that broke my heart

i have, it was a mistake.. and makes the pain alittle more then it should be.. it didnt take months for me to snap out of it though haha

i thought he would have put his foot in his mouth and ran back to her, i was so surprised that he didn't that he just left her in the forest like that.. i was dying for her it was horrible, i was thinking damn so its that done and over?
i dont think i had much of one.. just relieved even though i hoped it would be Edward

i couldnt believe it was that long before her and Edward were together again.. i wasnt expecting so many months to go by and then finding out that she was basically catatonic .. thats horrible
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus
Analisse
Learning to Love Green

Post by Analisse »

When I started to read this chapter I felt something bad was going to happen, I remember I was so nervous and scare at what Bella could do.

Yes, I have felt that way

At first I did believe him as reality, but then I realize it was on Bella's head and I remember wishing over and over for him to come back. It was painful to read New Moon

I was feeling like Bella was feeling, and at first I didn't understand who was him, then I realize it was Sam. When he was so close to her, I wasn't afraid he was going to hurt her or anything, I was sure he was there to help her, but just like Bella, I was so out of my mind (I'm Team Edward) and having him gone was hard to read.

I wanted to scream, to cry. I remember the first time I read New Moon, and specially this part, I was on my doctor's office waiting for him to call me, so at the same time that I wanted to read faster, scream and cry I also had to remember where I was and I couldn't do anything but keep reading until he called for me. So it was hard, I had to kept my reaction just for me, and that made it even worse
Jublio
Settled in Forks

Post by Jublio »

I felt it coming, but when it happened I was mad. I threw my book to the other side of the room and sat pouting on my bed. I was like: NO! nonononononononono..
and then I went to do other things, and later that day I picked up my book again to read further

yes, and it turned out worse.

I didn't believe he really would just go away and leave her be. I was mad when he did. But I didn't believe what he said, I knew he left her because he thought that would be the right thing for her.

I didn't felt anything by it. i was just happy that they found her, even if it wasn't Edward.

that was harsh, time was passing by, and Edward didn't come back. it made me mad again. and then I read the page after the months page and I was sad, Bella was really in so much pain.
....::Image::....
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

SIgh. I was really depressed. Stephenie's writing paired with my very heightened imagination has a way of sucking me totally into her stories, and I was totally, totally depressed and worried. I saw it coming the first time Edward's distant behavior was described.

Yes, and it was a bad idea, because he was NOT my Edward, to say the least.

I was in shock, to be honest. It was like I couldn't believe what he was saying, but he was saying it. I think part of my dilemma was that I know Edward only ever lied to Bella to keep her safe, so I couldn't make sense of it. And I wanted him to break down and say it was all a ruse so badly.

Ok, honestly? I really wondered what he was, because even in her loopy consciousness, Bella would have heard someone approaching her, and she heard nothing, so I wondered if Sam was a vampire or something.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages.
Again with the props to Stephenie: As I turned the pages, it was like my heart broke. It was reinforcement that Edward never came back, and I literally had to catch my breath. Aside from that, I think it was a really clever way to show the passage of time.

[/color]
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Anarey
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Anarey »

I saw it coming, I knew for sure when they walked into the woods. I knew his distance was his way of preparing her for the worst, maybe he even tried to keep the distance for so long that she would be the one to break up with him but he couldn't keep the distance because it was hurting him so much. At least that was the way my personal experience made me understand the situation.

Yes, and I still think that he was my Edward, I tried so many times until one day I decided to move on with my life and even then I tried to keep something of him, even if it was a frienship that ended up hurting both of us even 6 months later.

I didn't believe a word he said. I though about the time it happened to me and how I didn't believe anything that time. I knew he would not come back, and if he did he would go away again.

At first I thought it was a vampire going to attack her. I remembered the many times Edward told her to stay away from the woods. When she saw Sam I wondered who that guy was, but I was so releived that she was safe that I didn't put too much thought into it.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages.
Well I was so much into the story that when I looked at the pages I freaked out because I thought the book was defective and that I had to wait until I could go to the store and get another one to find out what happened. Lucky for me I saw the number 4 on the title of the next chapter and understood the calendar effect on the months.
ImageCan't wait til Nov 20!!

"A mighty pain to love it is, and 'tis a pain that pain to miss; but of all the pains, the greatest pain is to love, but love in vain."
-Abraham Crowley