Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by Amethyst1 »

navarre wrote:
leahroselover wrote:Its true when my Edward left me I went into my own breakdown, where I just needed attention. I just needed to be told I was special and beautiful. Then my mother talked to me about love and suddenly it hit me. The things I was doing was not just going to hurt me, but my family in the long run (I won't get into details about the actions). He left me on June 17, 2006. In August of 2006 I made myself move on.

Belle went on for months and months.
I'm glad to hear you're doing fine, leahroselover. :)
aw, i am glad you're doing well too.

and like navarre said, glad to have a twilight guy (senorgimp) around here :D

there's this amazing quote by neil giaman
have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.
pretty accurate with bella, eh?
now that i think of it. I feel bad about criticizing bella - i just don't understand her extreme dependency on someone to live. Like the world will end if they die or something....
footloose
Learning to Love Green

Post by footloose »

Because Edward left her, put a huge hole in her heart, and Jacob helped to fill that hole. But the truth is that, no matter who may come along, no one can ever fill the place of that first love, believe me I know, so when she has to choose between Edward and Jacob, she of course wants to choose Edward, but she doesn't want to hurt Jacob, because he was the only real friend she's ever had, and Edward DID hurt her pretty badly, so she doesn't know if she can trust him anymore, even though she still does love him.
i still have a hard time understanding Bella's feelings, but you have a point. Jacob entered Bella's life when her trust in Edward is greatly shaken and therefore created pretty deep impression in Bella she couldn't easily shake off. thanks for posting your opinion.
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

leahroselover wrote:Its true when my Edward left me I went into my own breakdown, where I just needed attention. I just needed to be told I was special and beautiful. Then my mother talked to me about love and suddenly it hit me. The things I was doing was not just going to hurt me, but my family in the long run (I won't get into details about the actions). He left me on June 17, 2006. In August of 2006 I made myself move on.

Not understimating your feelings, of course, but each and every person is different. So, the time to heal from a heartbreake is different. There are people that take a long time to recover from something like that and some people never get over at all. Bella made a mistake that lots of girls in love do: put everything in the same basket. So, when Edward left, she feel apart. I've seen things like that happening even with women older than Bella.

In Eclipse, I think she was determinated to act differently. So, she kept Jacob on her side, as she did with Angela. Even when things with Jacob started to get complicated, she wanted him close. It wasn't a wise decision, but I think she was trying to do the right thing. She love Edward wholehearted, but it doesn't mean she can't have other friends aside Edward and Alice.

For me, it's easy to get on Bella's shoes sometimes, as the twiguy said a few posts above because I was 18 one day and I pretty much remember the hell it was. I may not agree with her decisions and atittudes. I really wished SM didn't write the kiss scene. But maybe her thing with Jacob was necessary for her make a wholehearted decision of choosing Edward over Jacob and his promise of kids and a house with white fance. Because she could see other options for her life and realized that it was Edward she wanted. It sucked to read it, but I think it was important for both, Bella and Edward. Especially for Edward. He suffered a lot in Eclipse, but in the end, he knew Bella chose him whole hearted, she embraced his style of life. But she did it, not in a naive, impulsive thought, like the Twilight girl did. Bella had the oportunity of leaving the supernatural behind and leaving a normal life and she chose being with him, despite everything. I think this is true love.
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

In Eclipse, Bella realizes that the Cullen family and the werewolves are going to fight for her and she doesn't want this. She feels bad and like the only reason everyone is suffering and forced to fight is because Victoria wants her. Then, Alice leaves during graduation and Edward leaves Bella with her dad after graduation. I was really expecting her to take that opportunity, where there weren't any vampires to stop her, to leave Forks in order to go to Seattle and sacrifice herself. I thought she would want to sacrifice herself to prevent everyone she loved, especially Edward, from possibly getting hurt. In Twilight, she was willing to sacrifice herself to James believing she would be saving her mother. I guess I think it's kind of selfish that she continues to allow people she loves to risk their lives for her and expected her to at least try to do something, especially when she was given the perfect opporunity to leave without Edward or Alice stopping her.
DesiringJB
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by DesiringJB »

eclipserox wrote:In Eclipse, Bella realizes that the Cullen family and the werewolves are going to fight for her and she doesn't want this. She feels bad and like the only reason everyone is suffering and forced to fight is because Victoria wants her. Then, Alice leaves during graduation and Edward leaves Bella with her dad after graduation. I was really expecting her to take that opportunity, where there weren't any vampires to stop her, to leave Forks in order to go to Seattle and sacrifice herself. I thought she would want to sacrifice herself to prevent everyone she loved, especially Edward, from possibly getting hurt. In Twilight, she was willing to sacrifice herself to James believing she would be saving her mother. I guess I think it's kind of selfish that she continues to allow people she loves to risk their lives for her and expected her to at least try to do something, especially when she was given the perfect opporunity to leave without Edward or Alice stopping her.
Well but Bella has learned that escaping from Edward is easier said than done . . Alice would most likely of had a vision and Edward would have stopped her in no time . . I don't really beat Bella up for that one . .
leahroselover
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by leahroselover »

navarre wrote:

I'm glad to hear you're doing fine, leahroselover. :)
aw, i am glad you're doing well too.

Thank you. I'm glad I have my mom to talk sense into me when things go wrong.
Good mothers:FTW
Not understimating your feelings, of course, but each and every person is different. So, the time to heal from a heartbreake is different. There are people that take a long time to recover from something like that and some people never get over at all. Bella made a mistake that lots of girls in love do: put everything in the same basket. So, when Edward left, she feel apart. I've seen things like that happening even with women older than Bella.
I did the same thing as Bella, I really thought this was the one.

I would have been able to feel more pity for her, if not for this:

I had been with my boyfriend for a year and a few months
She had been dating Edward for a few months.

The time to heal from a heartbreak is different, I understand that, I honestly do. But how much did she have invested in this guy after a few months into the relationship? Even if they are"soul mates" as people keep telling me, I feel like a few months is nothing in a relationship (9 months plus is okay, imo).
Avi By Kaitlin @B&E.com
Sig by Electrimafried @ASN
Why Edward Hates Blonde's Pg-13 : A Dark/Romance/Comedy Fic
TwilightRose1
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by TwilightRose1 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:well, i think that we are being a little rough on Bella here.

I mean, honestly, how do you expect a 17 year old to only ever fall in love with one person ever?? how does that work? of course Bella THINKS she will only ever love Edward. But that's simply unrealistic.

I don't think she fell for Jacob easily at all.... I really don't understand where you are getting that from.

i think that in the context of how SM portrays bella she seems to be different than she is.

in the context of real life, i don't think it was bad for bella to have another love interest. i think it was necessary. i think edward knew it was necessary, that was his thing all along, to make sure she had as many human experiences as possible.

however, that does not mean her treatment of people was right. if she were a little less melodramatic, a little more centered, and her relationship with edward was a little more balanced and healthy, she would have caused everyone a lot less pain.

It doesn;t have to be unrealistic. Some people do find their true loves at that age. i know plenty of people who met their sweethearts as teenagers and are still with them 20 or thirty years later. I do understand that most teens today have six or seven love interests and dont stay in a relationship for more than a year, and granted, Bella isn't an amazing example of this because of her "detour " with Jacob, but relationships like that shouldnt have to be unrealistic. :?
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Bella is an intriguing character. While she is not one of my favorites, she is certainly a great character in her own right. She has serious flaws, but somehow, they come together to create a compelling heroine. As a serious feminist, I was concerned when I heard all of these things about her being a weak character and relying on everyone around her to save her, and being a poor role model for young women. But, I have to say, I find the opposite to be true. She has to make some really tough decisions in some seriously crazy circumstances. I don't really blame her for her budding relationship with Jacob. She truly believed Edward was gone. When you lose your soul mate, you still have to go on living, in some form. I can't blame her for trying to make that bareable. And, the bottom line is that there are two decisions she makes and sticks with. One is loving Edward. The other is the life she wants with him. That, to me, is part of the gift of NM. As soon as Edward returns and amends, she never waivers in her love for him. Sure, there's pain for all involved. But, again, Bella's not perfect. She's human. That's part of her charm.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

you're right in that eventually we all must move on, but it can be very difficult, especially when you had something as special and powerful as what Bella shared with Edward, but you're right, it can be done.
I just think Bella was doing what most of us would do (I certainly did it for a while, till the pain was too much NOT to deal with), and trying to hide from her feelings so that she didn't have to hurt. Not incredibly uncommon.

I DO think she should have been more forward with Jacob from the beginning, because (being the selfless individual he is) I'm sure Jacob would have been there for her just for the mere fact that she needed him, but it can be hard to make your intentions clear, when doing so threatens to take away the one thing you've been resting all of your hopes on, and investing all of your emotions into...

I'll shut up for now
= )
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

TwilightRose1 wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:well, i think that we are being a little rough on Bella here.

I mean, honestly, how do you expect a 17 year old to only ever fall in love with one person ever?? how does that work? of course Bella THINKS she will only ever love Edward. But that's simply unrealistic.

I don't think she fell for Jacob easily at all.... I really don't understand where you are getting that from.

i think that in the context of how SM portrays bella she seems to be different than she is.

in the context of real life, i don't think it was bad for bella to have another love interest. i think it was necessary. i think edward knew it was necessary, that was his thing all along, to make sure she had as many human experiences as possible.

however, that does not mean her treatment of people was right. if she were a little less melodramatic, a little more centered, and her relationship with edward was a little more balanced and healthy, she would have caused everyone a lot less pain.

It doesn;t have to be unrealistic. Some people do find their true loves at that age. i know plenty of people who met their sweethearts as teenagers and are still with them 20 or thirty years later. I do understand that most teens today have six or seven love interests and dont stay in a relationship for more than a year, and granted, Bella isn't an amazing example of this because of her "detour " with Jacob, but relationships like that shouldnt have to be unrealistic. :?
umm, i'm aware that that happens. but not often. and, i wasn't saying that it's unrealistic or it couldn't happen, i was merely making the point that bella's not a worse person because she explored another option. and honestly, you can't tell me that every single one of those people who have been with their significant other were ONLY ever with them, there was never a friend who was a little more or another interest. and humans don't have the same kind of finality that bella was facing.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...