Gex X--the 30 something thread

skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by skylarblue »

Hey All!! Wishing Everyone A Prosperous New Year.

I know we've been discussing the 80's and 90's but I was thinking about this:

I was born in the age of Disco (the 70's) and loved it but I've always wondered if I was born a decade to early. So I'm putting this question out there.

So, if you could have been born in a certain decade which would you feel you most related too?
For me I wish I was actually born in the 60's. I've been told I'm a 60's hippie at heart. I so would have loved to been at Woodstock. I can only imagine seeing Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendricks, The Mama's and the Papa's, the Grateful Dead, The Doors, etc. I also love the old R&B groups, the Temptaions, etc. I know that some of these artist's moved through the 60's and 70's but it would have been sweet to be there in that time.

P.S. I enjoyed the NYE chat session, that was a Hoot!
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Fun Question Skylarblue.
I have always said that I wish I was around in the 50's. I would have loved to wear poodle skirts and beautiful dresses. I think I would have swooned over Elvis with the best of them. I love 50's do wop (sp?), rock 'n roll, jukebox stuff. I like to think it was a simpler time, but I realize that it wasn't. It is just that people didn't talk about it. So in reality, I am glad that I live now. I just like the 50's.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

That's an interesting question, Sky.

I'm outspoken, opinionated, and an advocate of the underdog. I do not answer well to authority. After giving it some thought, I think I was born in the right decade. Or at least the decades and their changes have also reflected my own personal growth. Of course our nation took some mighty big steps backward the last 8 years, but I feel we're back on the road to recovery and discovery. I hope, like our nation, that I will also see some personal growth and advances.

On the flip side, I want to be taken care of. I don't care how much money we have as long as we have it. I don't want to work. I'd rather visit with friends, read, or clean house. If we had kids, and could afford it, I'd stay home with them. I'm so tempted to erase all that because I should be embarrassed, but heck, it's how I feel today.

ETA: Yeah, bac. Times seemed simpler in the 50's, but they were actually worse in many ways. I said above I want to be taken care of, but not at the risk of losing my rights as an individual.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Goodnight Elizabeth wrote: On the flip side, I want to be taken care of. I don't care how much money we have as long as we have it. I don't want to work. I'd rather visit with friends, read, or clean house. If we had kids, and could afford it, I'd stay home with them. I'm so tempted to erase all that because I should be embarrassed, but heck, it's how I feel today.
Well, just so you know, I am absolutely not embarrassed to say that I stay at home and am taken care of. There is nothing wrong with it. I am all for having rights and being able to work. But there is also nothing wrong with staying home. Please don't be embarrassed to do something that I do everyday.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

So, if you could have been born in a certain decade which would you feel you most related too?
I think I totally would have been happy being of age in the 60s. I think I'd have been one of the hippies flouncing around reciting poetry wearing a daisy chain in my hair--one of the ones that everyone wanted to slap. ;) I would have gladly followed the Grateful Dead around and made myself at home with the Merry Pranksters and I totally would have been the first one in the mud at Woodstock.

So i see the trolls were back last night. I wonder if that's why the board was down.

OK...GNE brings up some good points. It would be nice to live in a time where I would be taken care of (and better yet, men weren't as picky in the looks department) but true to what GNE said, I wouldn't want to lose my rights in the process.
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Goodnight Elizabeth wrote:On the flip side, I want to be taken care of. I don't care how much money we have as long as we have it. I don't want to work. I'd rather visit with friends, read, or clean house. I'm so tempted to erase all that because I should be embarrassed, but heck, it's how I feel today.
^^ That is what I meant: I'm embarrassed to admit I'm lazy. Sorry about the confusion. It's not really even an option for me anyway, so it doesn't matter. I have to work. Well, it's either work and pay bills, or not work and live in a cardboard box. :lol:
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

oleander wrote: CG you have impeccable taste in 80s and 90s music. I spent a lot of yesterday going through old music of mine and contemplating new playlists!
Aww, thanks oleander! :oops: I also took a look at my music collection and it's really a mixture of the 80s and 90s. Most of the music today are a rehash of the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I can't help hearing a song and go, "That's a rip off of such and such".

QOTD: Well, I'm in my midtwenties at the moment. So, I'm not entirely sure of what decade I'd like to live in. As you all know, I love 80s music. So maybe the 80s?

ETA: I think we're nearing our 100 pg for this thread. I'm going to PM Nena and let her know. :)
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

Well, I hope to get this off before our GEN (emphasis on the N) X thread is closed. Thanks for PM'ing Nena, CG.

When I was in high school, my mom always said I should have been a teen in the 60's. I was her flower child. At that time, I wished I could have been one - it *seemed* so wonderous and exciting to me at the time!

Now that I'm older, I'm very glad that I live when I live. I have to agree with a lot of what GNE stated. And I think I understand what you were trying to get at... I am very proud to be a stay-at-home mom with two beaufiful kids and a loving husband. I know that we are VERY FORTUNATE that we can afford to do this. I am also proud of my BS in Civil Engineering from the University of Michigan and my Masters in Environmental Engineering from the University of Washington. I don't feel like I am "wasting" my education by being home right now. Of course, 10 years ago, if you would have told me I'd be a SAHM with two kids and be happy, I'd laugh in your face. There was NO WAY I was going to do that! (Never say never). But I went back to work after my son was born and I know what it was like. I'm so glad I'm not there now. And I do know that some of that comes from "being lazy" as GNE put it. I like to be "taken care of," too!

I'm glad we are in an age that doesn't "force" mother's to stay home and women to take meanless jobs. I'm glad we aren't in an age where we would feel guilty if we CHOOSE to stay home, either. I think a couple/few decades ago, SAHMs were frowned upon - women had to fight for equality.

AND, I was a teen during the 80's so I got to be part of that rockin' era as CG mentioned!! ;)
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

LOL I just realized that its said Gex-X .... I don't know how this thread got away from me, but I am sure I will see you all on the Gen X thread...

took me 99 pages to notice. wow.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

Yeah, I'm on the 100th page! Woo hoo!
The question was what era would you like to have been born in / best suited to be in.
As my friends know I am fond of saying, I am very fortunate that I live in the era I do and in part of the world I'm in. If I were in an earlier time, I would be seen as extremely useless. I am domestically challenged - can't cook, can't clean, can't sew, can't garden - I'd never be marriageable material, and there weren't that many other options (I guess the nunnery would have taken me - wait, I may still have had to do chores). Like bac, I liked the feel of the 1950s - it felt simpler from this side of the timeline even though it wasn't an easy time to live in. I'd miss the comforts of now, though.
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!