Required School Reading

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bandnerd218
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Required School Reading

Post by bandnerd218 »

in 7th we had to read the giver and the little prince which were both amazing. :D :D

in 8th grade we read the outiders. hat was an awesme book :D

last year we read romeo and juliet and that was kind of awful bc the teacher dragged it on for 2 months.

this year we read julius caesar, and that was good.
we read a seprate peace, that was bad.

in 7 or 8th grade and last year we had to read a john Steinbeck book... it was god awful.
i hae john stienbek with a flambing passion :evil: :evil:
Jesse=My love.My life.
"I'll sing to you all night if it will keep the bad dreams away" -Edward
"Your Slower than a fat kid on crutches"-Aphrodite;Untamed
"The greener grass on the other side is probably just AstroTurf"-idk
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

We have to read the outsiders this year! (havent read it yet though)

A lot of my friends went through the whole of last year without reading either book (Falling From Grace and Runner. The day before our english exam my friend rang me and said "tell me what happens in runner!!" :lol:
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
dazzlingdynamite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by dazzlingdynamite »

I like required reading, it gets me reading things I'd probably never want to read unless forced, and I usually end up liking them.
We've just finished Animal Farm . . . I really loved that book! It was so interesting and thought-provoking. I'm very interested in the Russian Revolution, so of course it was suited to me.
I just loved how Orwell believed that it could never work, but he still thought it was a good principle, that everyone is equal, but how a society like that would never function because there would always be someone that wanted to be above everyone else.
It's totally my view!

I'm now reading 1984 because I loved it so much.
Call That a Comeback?
YOU ME AT SIX
TeamJake
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamJake »

ugh..I guess I'm the only one here being forced to read "Great Expectations" for school. It's horrible. I can't understand what the hell they are saying! Even shakespeare was easier to translate. Last year I got to read " And then there were none" and " Much Ado About Nothing" and both of those were really good. *sigh* I guess I'll just have to wait till next year =(
strawberry
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by strawberry »

dazzlingdynamite wrote: We've just finished Animal Farm . . . I really loved that book! It was so interesting and thought-provoking. I'm very interested in the Russian Revolution, so of course it was suited to me.
We also just finished Animal Farm in our english lesson. At first I was a little bit sceptical because normally I read other types of books but now that we finished it I really love it.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

TeamJake wrote:ugh..I guess I'm the only one here being forced to read "Great Expectations" for school. It's horrible. I can't understand what the hell they are saying! Even shakespeare was easier to translate. Last year I got to read " And then there were none" and " Much Ado About Nothing" and both of those were really good. *sigh* I guess I'll just have to wait till next year =(
I had to read that as a freshman, you aren't the only one.
His obsession with Stella annoyed me, how he could never get over her when she was so mean to him! And I hate Dicken's style of writing. He got paid by the word, so he puts in as much detail as he possibly can and it's soooo boring! Dickens would actually be good if he didn't spend so much time on useless detail. But he does, so he's boring.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

Our school doesn't have a reading list, it has a list of books that you might want to read, and what kind of level you should be on, but nothing that you have to read. Yet.
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

dazzlingdynamite wrote: We've just finished Animal Farm . . . I really loved that book! It was so interesting and thought-provoking. I'm very interested in the Russian Revolution, so of course it was suited to me.

Oh dear Neptune. I read those on my own, for fun, when I was about... 12/13. I really liked them, but they scared the shoot out of me. I was sitll a little naive beck then... Truely though, they are amazing books, and they got me into a whole bunch of OLD classic sci fi, like HG Wells and Issac Asimov. My brain expanded tenfold because of Orwell.

As for required reading, I'd infinetely prefer to read Of Mice and Men over what we just finished. We were forced to read Speak (Yes, the book turned movie that Kirsten also starred in) and I HATED it. The characters, they're just so plastic, and not at all real! Also, the main character whines the entire fricken time about how horrible life is, and it reminded me of New Moon. I kept on comparing her to Bella, then I realized both characters were played by Kirsten. I guess she just likes whiney bothersome characters.
If I'm going to read a book about plastic people, I'll go read Paper Towns again. It wasn't nearly as stupid as Speak.
dazzlingdynamite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by dazzlingdynamite »

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:

Oh dear Neptune. I read those on my own, for fun, when I was about... 12/13. I really liked them, but they scared the shoot out of me. I was sitll a little naive beck then... Truely though, they are amazing books, and they got me into a whole bunch of OLD classic sci fi, like HG Wells and Issac Asimov. My brain expanded tenfold because of Orwell.
I agree. I'm not quite the sci-fi girl . . .and I was meaning to get round to reading Orwell but kept putting it off. I feel a lot safer with sweeping dramatic romantics, like Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre.
Call That a Comeback?
YOU ME AT SIX
museicalking
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by museicalking »

the hound of the baskervilles.
sherlock holmes kind of book.
argh.
Team Emmett- EDC, Inc. Emmett Demolition Crew.
Team Rosalie- Every Rose has its Thorns
Team Alice- Seeing the Future Since 1901
<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3