1. What does Bella mean when she tells Jake “I never had a choice”? Is she saying she had no choice about falling in love with Edward -- it was a kind of compulsion like imprinting? Or that her love for him is irrevocable: once she fell in love, she could never love someone else instead? Or does she just mean that given the depth of her passion for Edward there is no real choice to be made here? Do you think she is right about this?
I think Bella meant a combination of all of that. Edward and Bella seem to be meant for eachother, like they were specifically made to be with one another, so it is like they imprinted on each other. Her love for Edward is also irrevocable, even in New Moon after Edward leaves we see that Bella can't really move on from him. Even after he hurt her so bad, she still loved him so much it nearly killed her. These things combine with the passion she feels for him would take away any other choice to be with someone else. I do think she is right in saying she never had a choice. She and Edward were meant to be and made to be together, even Jacob couldn't make her feel the way Edward does.
2. Jake tells Bella that Edward was like a drug for her. Do you think he’s right? Is her love for Edward more like an addiction than a healthy emotion?
I do belive Edward and Bella are meant to be togehter. But, to a certain degree, Jacob is right about Edward being an addiction. Bella is always so worried that he will vanish that she can't be without him for any length of time. If it were just a healthy emotion, Bella would realize Edward will always come back to her no matter what.
3. What is Bella getting at when she tells Jake that her love for him was overshadowed by something so strong it couldn’t exist in the rational world? Does she think her love for Edward is unnatural, something you could only feel for a mythical creature? Is the idea of two worlds -- the sane one humans think they live in and the mythical one of monsters and magic -- her way of explaining how she can love two people at once?
I don't think she thinks the love she and Edward share isn't natural. I think irrational or abnormal would be better words to describe how they feel about eachother. The feelings they have for eachother are perfectly natural, the intensity of their feelings is a little abnormal. Bella knows her love for Edward is a little crazy, but she can't help the way she feels. Yes, I think she is saying the love Edward and Bella share can't exist in the rational world because Edward is a mythical creature. Jake is also a mythical creature, but most of the time he is human and his love isn't as powerful as Edwards.
The two worlds aren't her way of saying she can't love two people at once because she does love two people at once. I think the idea of two worlds is her way of explaining that she loves them differently. In the human world, Bella loves Jake and they would probably be happy together. But, the mythical world is so different and intense that it overshadows any feelings she could have in the human world. The love she and Edward have is so much bigger than anything she and Jake could have that they never would have even had a chance.
4. Jake acknowledges that it is too late now for Bella to be happy without Edward. But he insists that the human life she and he could have had together if she’d never met Edward would have been better for her than the life she will now have. Do you think he’s right?
He is right only in the sense that Bella wouldn't have to pick between her family and friends and the one she loves. With Jake, Bella would have been able to live a normal human life and she probably would have been happy. But, while she loves Jake, she never would have gotten to experience the crazy, intense love she has with Edward.
5. Jake tells Bella that he’ll always be there waiting for her if she changes her mind -- even when she’s a vampire. Only a few weeks ago (Chapter 8), he told her that he’d rather see her dead than a vampire. Why do you think he feels differently now?
He was being stubborn a few weeks before. Jake was trying so hard to get Bella to recognize what she could have and how she felt that he was just being pig headed. I think he got frustrated and said things he didn't mean. Once Bella figured out that she really did love Jake, he would do anything to keep her around. Jake knows Bella has made her choice, but I think he is still hoping she'll change her mind, even once it is too late.