Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
L.Cullen
Settled in Forks

Re: Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Post by L.Cullen »

Hi everyone---I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts about going back to teenhood but in this day and age. I think if I had the chance, with the same people, I would. There are some things I wish I had done but didn't because of fear. I think I would have tried to be more outgoing. I spent most of my teen years with my head down just trying to make it through. (good girl, no trouble, etc) I also probably would have tried a different college. I would have liked to move further away to be on my own for a while. Technology would have made it better for me, I think. My parents were distant but I was still afraid to leave--a cell phone might have changed that. I don't regret where I am, I don't think? Just some things I wish I had done differently

I would take immortality with my loved ones---I guess that's the hope of heaven for me.
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

Question of the Day: If you could be immortal-esque (a BDB warrior lifetime, 1000 years plus or minus) in this reality would you do it?

If I had a support system like the Brotherhood (or Sihsterhood ;))to see me through immortality, then yes, I would. If i was going to outlive everyone I loved/cared about, then probably not.
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Question of the Day: If you could be immortal-esque (a BDB warrior lifetime, 1000 years plus or minus) in this reality would you do it?

Like most of you, if I had a support system, I'd say yes. I'd say more, but I'd be spoiling.

Oh, if I could go back to high school knowing what I know now, would I go? I think I would. I would obviously be going to right some wrongs, correct mistakes, etc. Yes, my life would be different. It could be better. Maybe I could catch my disease early enough and be treated in time to have babies. I would choose to go to college in my earlier 20's. It depends on how much I remember and what I can change and influence.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
vampman
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by vampman »

oleander,

Are you trying to get back at me for my gutter QOTD? This is going to require some heavy thought! What's going on here all this deep pondering today??? :lol:

QOTD: I have to be honest. Immortality does not suit me. I have had so much heartache in my life so far. I don't think I could handle immortality. Especially if I were ever to find a soul mate and she was not immortal!
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

I know we aren't in the gutter here, but how could you all just pass up this quote?
BlueStarlight wrote: My mom taught me how to cook, bake (from scratch), sew, cross-stitch, clean a house, scrub floors, do laundry, garden (precious little, since there was just never time in highschool, but I remember the garden out back when I was young);
BSL: I'm glad your mom taught you the birds and bees and gaving you "baking lessons!" And how to scratch?! Oh, wait, I've been reading too many P/C books, sorry! :twisted:
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Twi-mom, you are making me BLUSH!! Since I haven't read the P/C books, I don't get the "scratch" comment. Thanks, I needed that laugh!!! Just to throw this out- I went to highschool with a girl named E. She came from a nice family, never lacked for anything. She told me one summer that her mother was going to teach her and her 2 younger sisters how to bake, and NOT from a box. I looked at E, cocked my head to the side, and just stared...I didn't know what to say. I had never baked any dessert from a box mix. I was just shocked a little that her mother hadn't taught her basic kitchen know-how. I just assumed that this family had it all together.
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

My mom never taught me squat. My dad taught me to color, ride a bike, drive a car, and how to kick someone's behind. I taught myself how to cook. When I was in my late teens (18-19) I began experimenting in the kitchen. My mom always loved whatever I made. Turns out I have a very good eye for food. When I moved back in during college as a married adult, she was more willing to teach me things.

I understand now that she was just too busy. She had a full-time factory job, a house, and 2 kids. I don't really mind that she didn't teach me how to cook. I've learned through trial and error. I enjoy trying out recipes. I can make the best dang cake mix cookies. I also make a really good hot milk cake from scratch. I prefer jiffy mix cornbread to homemade.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
vampman
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by vampman »

QOTD: Is this thread dying a slow death?

I ask because, GEN-X has been neglected as of late. We have added 2 Gutter pages and now almost a third to 1 GEN-X. What is going on here?

GEN-X up until recently had some good play. Has the Gutter stolen all the thunder?

Ok So I guess that was several QOTD'S... :lol:

Anyone have any input?
inspired
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by inspired »

I was just thinking that I have been neglecting Gen X in my efforts to catch up on all things Lex. Get off my brainwave, Twin ;) :lol: !!

QOTD 1 Hell no I wouldn't ever go back to being a teen.
QOTD 2 This life has already kicked my butt. I wouldn't change a thing but to prolong it indefinately would be masochistic.
QOTD 3 I have been out of touch with what has been going on in Gen X. I get here and Twimom and BSL are talking about baking...where am I again :lol: ??

My mom taught me independence. If I didn't figure it out on my own, I was out of luck. Maybe I should say that she taught me to survive instead.
found by MMETP, courtesy of em3228 @ photobucket
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I don't think this thread is dying, I think we just has a pause in the conversation. They happen...but now we are moving on.

My hubby used to joke about this all the time when we first got married. My mother (and Dad) raised us kids to be independent. I learned to cook in the kitchen (I remember making pizza dough from scratch...our own mayo and cheese, my parents were hippie-ish) from my mom and the importance of following my dreams and never being afraid to reach out, to be goal oriented and faithful. My dad taught me responsibility, fiscally and morally, loyalty and how to BBQ. However, the joke is that my hubby laughs when my parents complain about my work ethic, the amount of volunteering I'll do, about my independent/stubborn streak. It cracks him up, he has always WANTED to say, "Well you raised her to be like this...you can't complain that she has met and exceed your goals...as you encouraged her to do." Yeah...eh, it's interesting how parents can mold you; intentionally and unintentionally.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!