Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Charlie Swan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

well, what need-to-know really means is that charlie won't get weirded out by anything. the things that are bound to happen - him noticing bella's not aging, nessie's not aging, them never eating, them traveling a lot, so on and so forth, will never become an awkward thing. he knows something's going on, so he's not crazy, and he knows they are all ok, so he can just take it and accept it and not wonder about it. does that make sense?

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
NayobiWan
Wandering Through Town

Post by NayobiWan »

^^Okie dokie, thanks for clearing that up. :] I love Charlie; he seems like a nice guy... just clueless, lol.
"I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally." - W.C. Fields

MySpace | LiveJournal | YouTube
MoonBeam09
Settled in Forks

Post by MoonBeam09 »

I have ALWAYS loved Charlie. I think part of it is that a good friend of mine is a daughter of a guy like Charlie. High up in the ranks of law enforcement and he is a WONDERFUL man, but has such a hard time relating to his daughters. I feel for Charlie and think he is fantastic. He wants so much to be a part of Bella's life, but is so scared to push and is so lost. He is like a little lost boy... I think the actor in the movie did an AMAZING job bringing out exactly why I LOVE Charlie!
gossipgirl
Wandering Through Town

Post by gossipgirl »

I love Charlie. I felt so bad for him when Bella left Forks in Twilight. It was like Bella broke his heart. :(

I loved reading in Midnight Sun how Edward heard that his thoughts were so concerned for Bella and full of love for her, but when he spoke to Bella he always kept it cool. ;)
I don't need a knight in shining armor. I'd settle for a vampire in a silver Volvo.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I love Charlie. He is so content with his life, but is also so willing to just turn it upside down for his daughter. You just know that he loves Bella so much, but he just isn't an effusive guy, so he has that kind of gruff guy exterior, expressing his love for her in very concrete ways, ie a truck, snow chains, letting her be. I have actually had a friend ask me how it is I think Charlie is such a great dad when he leaves Bella alone all the time. Easy, because that's what she needs. I think Charlie remembers what being with Rene was like only too well. Therefore, he knows just who did the majority of the parenting in that household. Bella had to grow up to be self sufficient and independent. With a child like that, pushing yourself on them is bad. He knew just how to give her enough space and still let her know she was loved. That's a rare dad.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
mikkib
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by mikkib »

I didn't read all the old posts so maybe this has been brought up before but..
why did Charlie dislike Edward so much? He wanted her to go to dance with Mike N. He defended the Cullens and wanted people to accept him but freaked when he found out Edward was dating his daughter, even the 1st time before all the accidents/depression happened. He wanted her to be with Jacob knowing Jacob had her jumping off cliffs and riding motorcycles. Did he always sort of "know" something was up with them but was ok with that as long as it didn't involve Bella? Do you suppose something like that would make him be able to accept Bella's change because he knew it was going to happen all along? And maybe realizing Jake wasn't as "normal" as he thought and that Jake told him it was all in her best interests. It would be nice to read that whole conversation from Jake's POV or even Charlie's. I am sure there was a lot more than just, yeah, ok, sure, I don't really want to know the details.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

mikkib wrote:I didn't read all the old posts so maybe this has been brought up before but..
why did Charlie dislike Edward so much? He wanted her to go to dance with Mike N. He defended the Cullens and wanted people to accept him but freaked when he found out Edward was dating his daughter, even the 1st time before all the accidents/depression happened. He wanted her to be with Jacob knowing Jacob had her jumping off cliffs and riding motorcycles. Did he always sort of "know" something was up with them but was ok with that as long as it didn't involve Bella? Do you suppose something like that would make him be able to accept Bella's change because he knew it was going to happen all along? And maybe realizing Jake wasn't as "normal" as he thought and that Jake told him it was all in her best interests. It would be nice to read that whole conversation from Jake's POV or even Charlie's. I am sure there was a lot more than just, yeah, ok, sure, I don't really want to know the details.
He didn't dislike Edward until Edward left her for dead in the woods in NM. When he wanted her to go to the dance with Mike it was only because Mike had asked and Bella certainly had never expressed interest in Edward to him. His reaction to her actually having a boyfriend was a natural, paternal one, but after that it was fine until Edward left.

P.S. Jake didn't have her jumping off cliffs. That was a Bella invention.

mikkib
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by mikkib »

Really? I thought she said something about going out with Edward and he was saying he was too old. She replied he was 17 just like her and he seemed to me like he was grasping at straws to tell her no but there wasn't much he could come up.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

he thought she was talking about Emmett. And does any father really want their daughter dating?

eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

Did anyone think Charlie's reaction when he 1st saw Bella after her transformation was odd? He obviously knew something was off. He acted like he did. Bella's skin was paler, her eyes were a different, her voice was completely different. I don't remember if he hugged her, but usually a father would after not seeing his daughter for that long, and she would have felt hard as marble and very cold. He noticed abnormalities with Renesmee--having teeth at such a young age, etc. I'm not saying Charlie shouldn't have eventually accepted that they were different but OK, but I would expect him to freak out a little at first and then gradually accept it. What did everyone else think?