A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by LilyMorgana »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
When Edward started to sort of ignore Bella in a way, I realized he was up to something and since he's said so many times that the best thing for Bella would be him leaving ... Yeah, I did sort of see that coming.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
Not really. I've never experienced a relationship like her and Edward's so that probably the reason.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
I didn't get what he had said at first. I sort of overlooked the part where he had said he didn't want to be with Bella anymore. (You have to admit it was kind of subtle ... Oh well, maybe not, but I'm not used to getting subtle hints in English.) So I just thought Bella knew he did it for her own good so- I'm so off topic apparently. Anyway, I didn't believe that he really felt that way and couldn't understand that Bella didn't get that either. I know she's insecure, but Edward did prove how he felt about her before, didn't he?

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
Erm ... At first I didn't know that Sam had been the one that had found Bella after reading about him later in the book. In my head he was older so I didn't really think about him.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages.
I had to smile. (I have inappropriate reactions to misery.) I thought it was a smart thing to do of Stephenie Meyer. That we way we immediately understood how Bella's life had been and how many time had passed.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
Ellie
Settled in Forks

Post by Ellie »

Questions prepared by Cocoa

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

Yes. By the time she was taking photos of Edward and Charlie, I knew that some Edward-induced split was imminent.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

Unfortunately, yes, and it's a rotten state to be in. The anxiety is like iron claws in your stomach, primarily because you have no idea what to do about it.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

No, I didn't buy it for a minute. I was thinking, "Oh, please. All that's going on here is that Edward's actually letting go of Bella for her own good instead of just talking about it all the time. Silly melodramatic lion. Silly insecure lamb. Okay, how many chapters until they're reunited? *grumble*

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

I didn't have what you'd call a gut reaction to it, but it made sense, especially because I think Meyer wrote Bella's breakdown in this chapter as a parallel to Marianne's breakdown in Sense and Sensibility. For those who know Austen's novel (or have seen the wonderful movie adaptation that Emma Thompson penned and then starred in), you might remember that Marianne wanders miles in the rain just to get a glimpse of Combe Magna, Willoughby's home, all the while knowing it won't do any good. She's found by Colonel Brandon, Willoughby's rival for her affections, who carries her back to safety, though she's so ill that she nearly dies. He does everything he possibly can, such as bringing her family to her, and when she's recovering spends gentle, undemanding, recuperative time with her. So it makes sense to me that the Quileutes (Sam wasn't the only one who found her- just the first of the group) found Bella, since they represent Jacob and the affectionate way he helps restore Bella to at least a tolerably healthy emotional state. But that's where the parallel ends, because Edward is, thank goodness, no Willoughby.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages [/quote]

I was wondering, a touch apprehensively, how S.M. was going to tell that part of the story. That kind of grief is almost beyond description, and it's hard to write it honestly. When I saw the blank months, I just nodded grimly. She got it just right.
Edwards Girl
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Edwards Girl »

1.Yes, I started to get worried.... :?

2.No...

3.No! I couldn't believe he had it in him to leave her like that. I started crying! :cry:

4.I didn't really think of it....

5.I started laughind through my tears!
I don't need a knight in shining armor...I'd settle for a vampire in a silver Volvo!

Team Switzerland! Because I just can't decide....
twilight4eva
Settled in Forks

Post by twilight4eva »

i cried hysterically when edward left and yes i truely believed him i was crushed i couldnt believe it i am a twi hard fan i kno every thing and every detail but i have read each book at least 10 times and i have cried every time and even tho i kno the end i still cry and it crushes me i am glad sam found her but i dont kno if it was rite at that very moment... wen i read the months i wanted to kno wat happened during that time i think if i had been bella i would have blocked out the world and no, charlie u never grasped how much pain she was in and hers and jakes relationship was never heading that way i will personally rip ur head off if u ever say anything like that again chief swan
lilmisstrouble
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Isle of Esme. Between feathers and broken headboards.

Post by lilmisstrouble »

Before I started reading the book, I kind of knew already Edward was leaving at some point, so the anticipation was there, although I didn't know in detail what was coming. Although it came to me as no surprise because I knew it beforehand, you can kind of sense things going that way after the birthday incident. It's inherent of Edward's personality, I guess.

Oh haven't I! It was easy to relate to Bella on that aspect, when she knew something very bad was about to happen to her relationship, yet she procrastinated the "talk" for as long as she could, walking on eggshells to try to save her heart from breaking. Ouch.

Well, although I did not expect him to come running back to her anytime soon, I still believed he loved her with all his heart and was just trying to protect her. Especially if you have read the Midnight Sun draft, it's very clear how madly in love Edward is, and the reason why he had to be such an a*hole was to keep her from waiting for him to come back.

I trusted Sam. I never had a problem with the guy. I was so devastated by what Bella was feeling that I didn't really draw an opinion on the guy. He was just helping Charlie out.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages

Oh, my goodness! When I came across those pages, it literally gave me goosebumps. It also made me a little envious to not have thought of such a genius way to portray a sense of time passing and agony through a book the way Stephenie Meyer did. It was incredible. I cried like a baby as I read those month pages, but oddly enough, I had a smile on my face because I knew I was reading a great book. Kudos to Stephenie Meyer, all the way, for that.[color]
"Does my being half-naked bother you?"
Yes, please take the other half off. xoxo

http://www.whatwouldedwardcullendo.blogspot.com
Kimmygirl23
Settled in Forks

Post by Kimmygirl23 »

I did see it coming, you can see that something bothered Edward, and when I read the chapter name "The End" I somehow knew..

Not really...

I was in total shock to hear (read) Edward speak. How could he be so cruel, I half expected him to brake down half way trough or that you could see in his eyes that he didn't meant it, but he was really harsh, cruel...And I didn't believe him at first, but because he was so cruel I started to think that he was doing this because of his family. I didn't think he didn't love Bella anymore, just that he loved his family more, and wanted to keep them "safe"

It felt like he knew what happened, and there was something strange about him that I couldn't put my finger on it...I didn't know if he was one of the good or the bad guys

I was already torn by Edward leaving (yes I cried...) and when I was the pages the tears started again....it was horrible, and I could just hear Bella breaking, I felt so sorry for her...
~TEAM EDWARD~
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

Well...to begin with, the title gave it away "The end"..I almost cried just by reading the title. I saw it coming, but I was in denial..I thought, there has to be a better option, he can't be possibly thinking of leaving her HOW DARE HE!!!! Yea. I was pretty upset.

Yes, it a horrible feeling. Which is why I think this chapter touched so many people. The emotions are so relatable that it hurts. Because you know EXACTLY how it feels.

I did not believe him (but Bella has self-esteem issues) and I thought he would come back sooner than it happened.

Ok..the first time I read the book his presence didn't mean anything to me...i was in Bellas head the whole time. I just thought, great some guy found her, thats good. The next time I read the book it made more sense of course.

SAD, so sad and true. Because time does pass, whether you want it or not. I think Stephanie did a great job with the month pages, it was a great way to visualize time passing by.
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise? No. Everything took me by surprise.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away? No, because I have never had one. :cry:

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did? At first, I didn't believe him because he would do anything for her. I was in denial for 14 chapters.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence. I was creeped out.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages. I thought that it was appropriate because Bella was a blank page, nothing present but still there, for that long.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
manderz9511
Settled in Forks

Post by manderz9511 »

1.I knew something was going to happen, with what happened to Jasper and Bella in the chapter before. Edward's reaction to what happened at the birthday party for Bella was shocking, it was like it wasn't him, he was watching tv with charlie, whats up with that? I figured something was going to happen, and something big at the end of chapter 2, when Bella descibed the kiss as the one they had shared before he left her in the first book. From then on it was heart brake.

2.Yes, a very current exsperence. I am in 7th grade now, and switching from elementry school to middle school was something that I was excited about, I didn't think that it would change me, or my friends. My very best friend was put in different classes then me, mostly because she was on a different team. It was easy at the beging of the year, when you still have the strong bond, but as the year progressed I could feel the relationship sliping from my grasp. It was frightening, sad, and unsure, it was weird, I knew from the second I could feel it slip that things would never be the same, but I wanted to try at least, to maybe save the bond, but as time passed I no longer knew how to save it, it was a lost cause.
Our relationship moved to very best friends, to best friends, to friends, to aquantances, to well, strangers. Its hard to see her in the hallways and remember, the good times and the bad, after we no longer were talking on day to day baises anymore, I can rememeber myself crying at night wondering were are relationship went.

3.I knew that he was going to leave, I have my friends to thank for that, but I don't think that his speach was as harsh as his actions were before the speach, when you didn't know what was going on it was like, when is he going to snap out of it. But I knew he never was going to. When he talked to her in the woods it was like... signing a deal? Confurning a rumor? It was... I don't know, relief, possibly, to at least know what was going on. I knew that he was leaving, that was reality and I accepted it perfectly fine, I believed him when he said he was leaving Forks, I mean it's Edward he usully follows though on what he says.
Some part of me, even through all of the Jacob chapters was... yearning for him to turn around and come to his sences, the meddow scene kept flashing in and out of my brain. I wondered why.
I was crying as soon as he said, "Bella, were leaving," And I was balling when he kissed her on the cheeck, its not one of my favorite chapters in the book, but then again, who does love this chapter? Team Jacob? I doubt that even they like this chapter.

4.I was automaticly confused by Sam, I was still thinking Edward though, so I don't think I conprehened anything.

5. These pages were the hardest to read, its like, why would Edward leave her, I was crying, as I flipped page after page to finaly reach chapter 4, Waking Up, but even what Bella was thinking at the begening of that chapter had me crying even harder, "Time passes. Even when it seems impossible. Even when each tick of the second hand aches like a pulse of blood behind a bruise. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me." - Bella Swan, New Moon
seniortwilighter
Settled in Forks

Post by seniortwilighter »

. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
As soon as I saw the name of the chapter my heart sank.

Unfortunately, yes. It was nearly 20 years ago (my daughter was the outcome) and I still blush when I think how naive I was.

I WANTED him to run back but knew he wouldn't, he thought he was doing what was right and that was important to him. No I didn't believe him, but I could understand how Bella did.

Who's this and why did he creep me out? :D

Been there, done that :-) Life passing by without feeling a part of the world.