Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
flutterbymonkeys`
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Jacob Black Past, Present and Future

Post by flutterbymonkeys` »

tigerlili wrote:I believe Jacob Black's mother was killed in a car accident. The same accident that put Billy in the wheelchair, I think. What's got me up at night is, why does Jacob say they had to nail his mother's coffin shut? What's up with THAT?
Yeah, SM said that Jacob's mother was killed in a car accident.

I'm not sure what put Billy in his wheelchair...... thats a good question, now that I think about it!
Lion+Lamb=Lochness Monster!
JN
blue-eyed-bella
Wandering Through Town

Post by blue-eyed-bella »

Actually, Billy got in a wheelchair because of diabetes. But yeah, Jacob's mom was killed in a car accident.
When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.
TeamJacob!
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by TeamJacob! »

^I love your avatar..its freaking HOT!!
E<3B but I <3 Jacob
OFFICIAL ROBNAPPER SECURITY
>>>Thinks her avie provides proof that Rob does indeed have muscles...;D
DesiringJB

Post by DesiringJB »

blue-eyed-bella wrote:Actually, Billy got in a wheelchair because of diabetes. But yeah, Jacob's mom was killed in a car accident.
Really? :shock: Where did you get that? Is that in the books? I dont recall..
chach
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by chach »

hes such a bumm
TeamJacob!
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by TeamJacob! »

^^Thnks for you input Chach...enlightening as to Jacob as a character to say the least.
Has SM said anything about what happened to his mother? Cos I've re-read the books and Jacob doesn't say much about her. I would really like to know.
E<3B but I <3 Jacob
OFFICIAL ROBNAPPER SECURITY
>>>Thinks her avie provides proof that Rob does indeed have muscles...;D
blondiebronzeeyed
Settled in Forks

Post by blondiebronzeeyed »

Okay I have a greater respect for Jacob after reading Breaking Dawn because at first he seemed really immature to me during the first two books. I really didn't like him in New Moon and I just thought the whole situation in Eclipse was just great. But, during Breaking Dawn what he encountered made me appreciate his character because he seemed to handle everything better than I thought he would. When I caught wind of BD having a portion of it from Jacob's view I was upset, but after reading it, I got a chance to see Jacob for who he really was. He's not that bad, even though I'm Team Edward.
Babygirl67

Post by Babygirl67 »

when he was first introduced in twlight i thought he would just be the guy bella was gonna be best friends with then in new moon he's there for her when edward leaves her i mean the kiss between them in eclipse was hot but i always knew she would choose edward but even though jacob can act like a jerk every once and awhile i believe that he will always be a great friend to bella and the whole imprinting on resseme thing was very weird but he will be great for her..
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

I had an odd thought to elaborate more on my opinion of Jacob and how it has evolved - if any.

One of the things that I love about SM writing, is her ability to create such characters with faceted obverses and with Jacob, there’s no doubt in my mind that she failed to do so, with him being ushered in as a main character through new moon. Mostly because to me, a main character has to be able to connect with you to some degree, and they should be sympathetic to some level which is needless to say, you can properly conclude that I am heartless - I digress, but to phrase it simply in my own words is that I simply couldn’t be able to feel any compassion towards him.

. . . As I reread or rather skimmed through the books as often as I do, I concluded that it’s not Jacob that I hate so much, it’s mostly how he was written or worse. . . how he was the result of intended literary purposes. Or in other words, a plot device with a mission to be portrayed in a certain way. And I find this literary intendment most frequent with Jacob - so you’d think it’s a contradiction to the many arguments that pertain that Stephenie’s heart is for Jacob - which is true in many cases, it is emphasised as much in and out of the contents of the books. What ill humours me most about it, is that her preference has seeped all the way through to the paper. I don’t have anything against SM’s preferences, but I’d rather they don’t effect the series in the way that they had (emphasis on Jacob and Jacob and Bella rather than Bella and Edward which is the story. . . )

However, I’ve got to give her major props regarding “ushering in” Jacob with subtlety and background information to make him fit exactly right and then to develop his character throughout one book to get him to main character status. That takes a pro to do it. Jacob in new moon wasn’t that bad, in fact I really liked him because he represented all that’s good in humans even though he was not altruistically motivated, untill the last chapter of new moon is where my feelings now “blossomed”.

Eclipse. . . You’d assume since I liked him in new moon, I would have enjoyed his presence as well in eclipse and so forth. That’s not the case. In Eclipse, Jacob appeared to be lacking. . . the Jacob I met and liked in new moon. I couldn’t get a grasp on his character, there was no middle ground to his vampire hatred basis to his unethical conducts. He was just. . .mean. pure meanness. His pursuing an almost engaged woman, his bitter sarcasm, his overall arrogance towards vampires in general, his immaturity and stupidity, his unnecessary remarks, his taunts and scorns. . .and not to mention the two kisses, one forced and the other achieved through manipulation. And through all that Stephenie Meyer expects of the reader (me) to sympathize with this guy? Not gonna happen with the way the book read.

In Breaking Dawn things took a different turn. Not for the better. . . At least nothing that made me enjoy him as much as I used to. Breaking Dawn followed through with fashionably order he was portrayed as much like the previous books. Somehow, he seemed to come out of the dark abyss (after imprinting that is…) and became the old Jacob again, through a heck of torturous series of events I’ll admit, but he became THAT Jacob. THAT Jacob I like - but I still have my adversary towards him, but even Jacob simply does not tempt me whereas dearest jasper does my immeasurable amounts.

and that's simply my opinion. . . a very opinionated one at that.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Eclipse. . . You’d assume since I liked him in new moon, I would have enjoyed his presence as well in eclipse and so forth. That’s not the case. In Eclipse, Jacob appeared to be lacking. . . the Jacob I met and liked in new moon. I couldn’t get a grasp on his character, there was no middle ground to his vampire hatred basis to his unethical conducts. He was just. . .mean. pure meanness. His pursuing an almost engaged woman, his bitter sarcasm, his overall arrogance towards vampires in general, his immaturity and stupidity, his unnecessary remarks, his taunts and scorns. . .and not to mention the two kisses, one forced and the other achieved through manipulation. And through all that Stephenie Meyer expects of the reader (me) to sympathize with this guy? Not gonna happen with the way the book read.
I agree! In Twilight and NM I liked his character. I thought he could be a good friend for Bella (and he was there for her when Edward left :cry: :x ) But then in Eclipse he really got on my nerves & was making me so mad! I wished I could punch him in the face myself! In BD he was a little better because he gave in & let Edward change Bella to save her life.

Everything that Edward did for was FOR BELLA . He loved her & didn't care if what he did hurt himself as long as Bella could be happy.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson