Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Re: Twilight verses the Host

Post by G-Faerie08 »

LilyMorgana wrote:I think I like the Host more than Twilight. :oops: This could be because I've just finished reading the Host and it's still fresh in my memory, but I really loved it and how it surprised me in the end. The Host seemed slightly more intense to me. I don't know why. Probably because it made me cry and Twilight didn't. Maybe I change my mind again after rereading the Twilight series again. :)
I wouldn't necessarily say I liked the Host more, but I definitely understand what you are saying. I didn't cry in the Twilight saga until Breaking Dawn..and I didn't cry in the Host until the last 10 chapters or so..

I'm not sure if were are comparing the whole saga of Twilight against the Host..if we are just doing the first book, Twilight, then I would have to say that the Host was better. For me it is difficult because of course they are two completely different books with different plots, characters, etc. They both bring different elements to the table..so..Yeah..I like them both, but I lean towards the saga more because there is just soo much more to the story whereas the Host is rather contained..if that makes any sense..
charlevoix318
Settled in Forks

Post by charlevoix318 »

I love the host! C:
Mara Jade Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

I really enjoyed The Host. The whole middle section was almost impossible to put down! I think that Stephanie has a gift for keeping up the suspense so that you just have to read "one more chapter" and then, "well, okay, one more chapter."

BUT...I don't think that it came close to Twilight for me. The characters and story of Twilight has become infused into the world of fantasy in my head--like my Star Wars, Clan of the Cave Bear series, Lord of the Rings. The Host, while enjoyable didn't achieve that level where I bonded with the story so completely.
Team Edward
KStew and RPatz

Post by KStew and RPatz »

the weird thing is, about 2 months ago, I definitely would have said Twilight. But. . . now that alot of people know about it and everyone's judging it for just a silly "teenage romance" novel, I think about the host, and I like it better. I like to go away from the crowd and THe Host is definetily my favorite book now.

THe Host made me think about if I want to find my Edward or my Ian!!! :lol: :D
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

For me it is definitely Twilight.

I just finished reading The Host for the 1st time last night and I did enjoy it. But I don't love the characters and the story as much as I do Twilight. Maybe it's because I've only read it the one time. It took me a week to finish it I wasn't able to get into it right away. And the Host to me is definitely a more serious story. I'll probably read it again to see if I can enjoy it more.

I love all the Twilight books. I love all the characters, love the story, romance, funny lines and jokes. I find myself thinking about Twilight sometimes and am an obsessed "fangirl".
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Mara Jade Cullen

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

Definitely read it again. Or at least the Wanda/Ian parts.
Its definitely grown on me. I'd have to still say that I like the Twilight story better.
But despite the whole alien bodysnatcher thing, the relationship between Ian and Wanda just seems more natural than that of Edward and Bella. Not better just different in a nice way.
I think because you get to see how Ian loves Wanda just for who she is and knows her so thouroughly inside and out without needing a whole separate book to get inside his head (like you need MS to get into Edwards).
Team Edward
LoveMeSomeEdward
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by LoveMeSomeEdward »

I like the Host but it didn't grab me like Twilight did.
I'm reading the Host again so maybe I'll get a different opinion once i finish.
mim
Settled in Forks

Post by mim »

I love anything to do with Twilight but I do have to say (alien body snatchers aside :roll: ) Ian and Wanda were more real for me. The book was a little slow for me in the beginning compared to Twilight but once she started her trek through the desert it really picked up. After that I was hooked. I felt like the relationship between Ian and Wanda had more of a developmental stage. They weren't just madly in love at first sight, and you had more of a sense of growth. The connection was more human I guess. Wanda made so many changes in her opinions and thoughts on what was right and good and the diff between the two. I never felt any development in Bella. She was who she was and that was it. You spent the book just learning about her. I really liked Wanda in the end. I didn't fell any change in Bella at all except for the unfurling romance. I really like to see my characters develop before my eyes. I feel like for fantasy romance I will always want my Edward but reality...I would take Ian any time. By the way I was only comparing growth of Bella in twilight it would be too much to stack the whole saga against one book. Not looking for any trouble this early! :)
jezza3000
Settled in Forks

Post by jezza3000 »

So anyways, I've read a lot of what you people have said, But regardless I Died reading The Host. I was so excited at first to read something new from Stephenie and I was afraid of what people said that it would be slow at the beginning. But when I read it, I was like " Where is this slowness in this". The story was perfect, just awesome. I died crying for the characters, and the relationships they endure in it was so deep and rich. The story was excellent, It opens your mind a lot to Humanity and what it means to be human and just how terrible we can be on one spectrum but on the opposite such loving and caring creatures. I loved the twilight series, But The Host made me stop and think about things, where as twilight was more straightforward. The characters captured my heart, not because they were super lovers and who were super beautiful and do anything with flying colors, but because they showed us what their true colors were and because who doesn't want to read a story where there's someone your in love with and want it so bad but you can't have it. So in conclusion The Host is #1 for me.
"Life sucks then you die" Lmao Team Jacob FTW!!
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

ooh.. thats a hard one. i really like the Twilight world and the fact that it is a saga. But The Host is extremely good as one single book. I think it's a tie!
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!