Stereotyping

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bkny
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Stereotyping

Post by bkny »

oh my god....this is great topic...i attend a high school in brooklyn called Brooklyn Tech and whenever i tell people that i attend that school i immediately get stereotyped as a stuck up or a nerd. im really annoyed when this happens since i see a lot of kids at school get stereotyped...im half filipino and spanish and whenever ask me if i am asian i say yes and they assume im chinese...i also hate the fact that they stereotype us as nerds...i mean im smart but not smart enough to called a nerd not that there's anything wrong with it...
lovvetwilight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by lovvetwilight »

Stereotyping is so wrong. It can really hurt people.

I honestly don't know what my stereotype is. My school is HUGE (1200 in my class, about 5000 in the school), but there are clear *populars* and *nerds*. I don't think I'm classified as either. Just thinking, how are stereotypes even formed? Obviously, they are there. But how do they come to be? Is it just ignorance? Cruelness? I really can't think of a reason why.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4356617/1/Bad_Girl_Bella << please press

Team Edward Team Ian
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

I would like to say that I hate stereotypes and they're shocking and I never use them, but then I'd be lying. About the last bit anyway, I DO really dislike the way people use stereotypes all the time. It feels like my friends are desperately trying to make out that our school is just like the American high schools on TV, and they stereotype a lot (or a few do, anyway).

It seems obvious to me that stereotypes are formed from ignorance. If people knew what everyone was truly like, they'd know the stereotypes don't fit most of the time, and they wouldn't exist. But I don't really think they're formed out of cruelty, I think its just lots of first impressions gathered together and turned into a label.

If I offended anyone, I'm sorry by the way. It's about 11:45 right now and my brains a bit fuzzy.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
Niinella
Settled in Forks

Post by Niinella »

My school is an average-sized school with about 400 students. (I feel stupid saying that after I read some of you telling about the thousands of students in you school.. Wow.) It feels bigger because the elementary & middle schools are in the same building, so I guess there are about.. 800 students? It's the biggest school I have attended.

Anyway, stereotypes. I'm in high school and I have to say, there aren't many stereotypes. Of course, there are the loud and misbehaving kids who probably consider themselves "popular", but really, there aren't many stereotypes. I think it's mainly because most of the students are equivalent to each other. (I'm not sure if that's a fitting word..)
The stereotypes were much more visible back in middle school. There really were the popular kids, emos, nerds, etc.. It was exhausting, but I'm just happy it's over now. I hated it.
Stereotypes almost always get really out hand, so I try not to do it. Of course I tend to stereotype people too, but I try not to.. overdo it. I mean, I try to get along with everyone, even though I had stereotyped someone as something I didn't like. Everyone is different and everyone deserves a chance.
soul alchemist
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by soul alchemist »

I'm stereotype as the Emo-goth. I guess they dont know the difference between goth and emo. I wear mostly black and red. My nails are always black. My hair is black naturaly. My usual hairstyle is a low ponytail with my long bangs covering my right eye. Maybe they are right to call me emo. I do hurt myself when Im in emotional pain which usually is. I listen to punk rock or heavy metal.
The most gorgeous twins in my world.
jasmine
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by jasmine »

Stereotyping is just a way for ppl to fit you in in their world, you shoudnt take it personal, its not worth it :)

(they are always wrong anyway :lol: )

The Gen Y Rocks My Twilight Socks

Follow me @ http://gosh-makeup.blogspot.com/
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

italiangirl1577 wrote: Oh, and could someone please explain to me what "Emo" is? I have no idea.
i think they are called gypsies in england?
emo is a type of music but it's apparently a fashion style too - sort of like goth. i don't really know the difference. anyways. the people that wear dark clothes :D
Jasper<3
Gone Fishing with Harry

Post by Jasper<3 »

^ Emo is the name for people who cut themselves. They usually dress somewhat like goths, but sometimes wear more brighter colors, not just red and black and purple and such. And it is a type of music, too.
List, Gnat ♥
bandnerd218
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by bandnerd218 »

im a band geek right? well people who dont know me in class think im smart. thats not really all that true. but their always like "oh shes a smart kid lets get in a group w/ her" and the only reason they say that is bc i actually pay attention... just because im in band dosnt make me smart [kinda wish it did though]

and the peopel on my bus must think i was born yesterday bc of it. they try to make flute jokes. and epicly fail. at life. ::sigh:: they dissapoint me. . if only they werent droped quite so many times as a baby... lol
Jesse=My love.My life.
"I'll sing to you all night if it will keep the bad dreams away" -Edward
"Your Slower than a fat kid on crutches"-Aphrodite;Untamed
"The greener grass on the other side is probably just AstroTurf"-idk
eliselovesedwardx
Completely Dazzled!

Post by eliselovesedwardx »

'Emo's are quite big in Australia..Emo is the short term for the 'stereotype' of 'Emotional'
I don't have anythig against Emo's..i just wish they didn't have to resort to hurting themselves..But..it's them..

I am always stereotyped as the 'Nerd' or the 'Smart person' in the class who everyone alwasy comes to for answers and tries to get in with in a group..It annoys me so, even though i know it's not always the right thing to do..I never simply 'give out' answers if they don't bother to try it themselves..

I am always stereotyped against because I am smart, even though I don't think I am as smaart as some..but the problem with being seterotyped at the 'Smart Person', everyone always expects you to 'Ace' every exam and assessment and I know that won't alwyas happen..It's frustrating because that then puts undue pressure on me, making me feel like I have to do well all the time!
Stupid people!
::Elise:: Backhoe Operator for EDC, Inc~EDC's Cheer Squad Captain!
I'm on the List~The names Mooner