Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
patricac
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Compromise

Post by patricac »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age?

I can see Bella’s prospective on why she is afraid to marry Edward, in today’s world. However, I have to admit – it is a bit strange that Bella was so eager to become immortal and become more intimate – yet the thought of marriage bothered her. I liked that Edward did not give into succumbing to her requests in the moment.

This was one of my favorite chapters of the book. I like the last page where Bella explains that she had many things she wanted to say “some not nice at all, and other more disgustingly gooey and romantic” – I think this displayed that she really does want to be with Edward and I’m glad she overlooked her negativity towards marrying young.

If I was in Bella’s position and so eager to be immortal with my true love, I wouldn’t hesitate on marriage – it would be an after thought.

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human?

I really liked the progression on Edward and Bella’s relationship. It’s only natural. I think the book really did a great job of leading up to Bella wanting to experience all “human things” – the things she would miss. It’s good that SM was able to build that up and have Bella finally realize that some things may not be the same when she’s immortal. I did think it was a little annoying how she was pushing it a little too much and making it so hard on Edward.

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls?

I think in this version of SM’s vampires – that vampires have the potential to have a soul. Edward of course has a soul and so do all the other Cullens, due to their vegetarian lifestyle. As mentioned in New Moon, it’s not what you are – it’s what you do.
LoveYouMadly
Settled in Forks

Post by LoveYouMadly »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age?
I definitely understand why Bella is afraid to marry Edward. With her parents' background in marriage and Bella's unwillingness to draw attention to herself (and, of course, the way she loves Edward that has meaning beyond a marriage contract), Bella would view matrimony as a way of dissapointing her parents and causing gossip among her peers. However, I never really understood Edward's need to marry Bella so I didn't care whether they did it or not (but, as it turns out, I loved the wedding in Breaking Dawn!).

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human?
I loved that the issue was finally addressed! I'm not sure about the decision though . . . Like before (see New Moon) when Edward suddenly decided that he would give Bella immortality in return for marriage, I was kind of surprised and very confused when he agreed that they would try. Like Edward says: "Do you imagine I would ever take that kind of risk with you?" I didn't think he would but minutes later he says that they'll try. It's times like these that I wish SM would write the entire saga from Edward's POV . . . What's going on in that boy's head?

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls?
Am I the only one that gets a little annoyed when Edward insists he doesn't have a soul? How could he love Bella the way he does and still believe that he doesn't have a soul? If any of us have souls then yes, I believe vampires have souls, too. I suppose that the opinion comes from perspective (no, I'm not a century-old vampire) but I've never grasped his reasoning on the subject. Even if he has stolen, lied, and coveted!
Here's to stolen bottlecaps, drug metaphors, and velvety soundwaves . . .
twilightapple
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightapple »

yes and no. I understand that she was told by her mother that it looks bad to marry someone at such a young age and maybe on some level she is afraid that her relationship with Edward will end up like Renee and Charlie's. I don't however see why what other people think would stop her from marrying him... unless its Jacob or her parents. As for her friends, she didn't care that Mike didn't approval of Edward when they started dating, so why should her care if everyone doesn't approve of him being her husband. I wouldn't get married straight out of high school because I would want to explore a carreer in college to be finacially stable. I don't fell like college is important to Bella. I feel like she's only going so that her life after high school will look normal to Charlie.

First off, I like that Edward gave her a crystal that sybolizes his hard sparkling self. I like how Edward gave in to the compromise because Bella wouldn't take no for an answer and he is asking a lot from Bella. I am glad that they have decided to make love before she is turned. Once she is a vampire, she won't want to sleep with him for the same reasons as when she is an human. She doesn't even know how extreme her transformation change will be, so it wouldn't be right for her not to ecperience sex while she could truely enjoy it.

Every living being has a soul whether it is good or bad. I want to understand why Edward thinks so low of himself. It seems almost as if he was some murderer in his past...
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-Yes and no. If Edward wasn't a vampire and Bella wasn't going to be spending the rest of eternity with him and they were just regular teens who wanted to get married I can see why Bella would say no. I would've said no at such a young age. But since Bella's going to be spending the rest of her existence with him I don't really see what the big deal is in getting married.

-I was SOOO HAPPY ! I mean, I know they said they would at least try but its still such an important thing to Bella and to Edward too !

-To me, a soul isn't something you have just because your a human and then if your not a human you don't have a soul. A soul to me is earned by the way you act and treat other people. If your genuinely a good person and you care about other things then yourself and your capable of loving things and other people then you have a soul. If Edward or any of the Cullens didn't have a soul, then they wouldn't be "vegitarians", they wouldn't care about the well-being of other people, so yes, I do believe vampires have souls.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
cullenfan30
Settled in Forks

Post by cullenfan30 »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age?I honestly don't see why she is afraid to marry him. I mean she's willing to spend the rest of eternity with him, so why not make it legal first. I don't think it will change their relationship, just to give him back something that he missed out on his own life.
2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human?I figured it was just a matter of time because their relationship was so passionate. I agreed with Bella I thought that he would be able to make love to her without hurting her because he loved her so much.
3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls?I couldn't begin to speculate on that issue. However, the Cullen's all seem to love so deeply that I can't imagine any of them not having a soul, especially Edward!
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

I can see but I don't agree with it. If I were in her position nothing would be stopping me from being with the one I love.

I like the fact that their intimacy jumps up a level. And I think the decision will be fine as long as they take the necessary precautions.

I honestly believe that they do.. the good ones at least. I guess it would depend on the different cases.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
Annabanana
Wandering Through Town

Post by Annabanana »

I understand that she's affraid of what her parents will think about it, but she has already decide that she want to spend the rest of her life with Edward so if I was her I would probably not think about it the same way as she does..

I was really happy! and I understand how Bella feels, no one could really know how she would be and how her feelings would be after she had become a vampire, so I believe the idea of doing it while Bella's still a human is better.. And just as Bella said, I don't believe Edward's gonna hurt her since he love her so much, I know he can control himself around her.

Well they are living creatures, maybe they don't have to breath or beating hearts but they are still alive! and I think any living creature has a souls..
rachelcullen86
Settled in Forks

Post by rachelcullen86 »

I can completely understand Bella's reluctance to marry Edward, having seen her parents make such a huge mistake... it would definitely affect my decision, but luckily I am well past that now

I think Bella is right to want to experience this while human, they have been together for a serious length of time at this point & if you really intend to spend eternity with someone I think this is not a bad idea

If we are talking the vampires that I am used to AKA Buffy/Angel Joss Whedon characters then I would say, no as a general rule...however SM puts an entirely new twist on what I had thought of as a vampire and much of the traditional "Hollywood" vampiredom goes out the window...in the case of the Cullens & their ability to love & to resist temptation, then yes I think they might
"You smell just exactly the same as always. So maybe this is hell. I don’t care. I’ll take it." Edward Cullen - New Moon
ShortStuff_<3
Wandering Through Town

Post by ShortStuff_<3 »

Yes, i think that Bella is completely rational in her reasoning towards matrimony at such a young age. She is afraid of the impression it would create and also, has been brought up her whole life learning from her mother that marriage at such a young age is a mistake. I guess if i were in her shoes, i'd actually make the same decision.
I think that it is quite a reasonable demand, as what Edward has asked of her is a big stretch for her and she should get something in return. It makes sense for her to worry about the fact that being a newborn means that she won't be able to concentrate on her relationship wiht him for a while, and of course, having the intense realtionship that they do, i'm not at all surprised that this is what she requests of him.
The way SM writes about vampires is almost human, apart from their supernatural gifts and unusual diet, they have the capacity to love and care just as intensely as humans so i think that yes, they do have souls. But then again, the question arises that do ALL vampires have souls? Coz the Cullens may be able to resist temptation and live among humans but others aren't, does this mean that all the other blood-thirsty vampires have souls too??
Dear Jacob, I WIN. Sincerely, Edward.
[i'm.betting.on.ALICE] :D
>>> ADRENALINEE RUSSSHHH <<<
ShootingStar
Wandering Through Town

Post by ShootingStar »

I definitely can see why she's terrified, but to be completely honest, the reason I'd be scared is because I'd thinki everyone would be saying that I was pregnant behind my back or something. Because honestly, that's what would happen. I wouldn't like my relationship to be dragged through the mud like that even if it was just in the eyes of other people by them saying that a wedding would never work out so young and such.

Then again, Bella has already decided to become immortal and spend eternity with Edward, so marriage isn't much to ask really. I wouldn't be scaared of the commitment, if I found my Edward, I'd be like, I WANT A WHITE DRESS. But I'd still be terrified of my, gulp, public image, PLEASE DON'T HATE ME!

I thought this was, AMAZING! Because you culd finally feel the passion between them being expressed, and the way SM describes it, it really illustrates the struggle going on in Edwards head. I love how it was more sensual than just downright sexual, so it didn't trascend into stupid teenagery sex talk.

I think it's cool they decided to go for it, I love the way it shows Edward will do anything to keep her happy, it just makes me love him even more...sighh...*fans self*

Edward will always have a soul, because his soul has found its other half. Case closed =].
"I can do this, I lied to myself feebly. No one was going to bite me." - Bella, first day of school. =]

Don't you know who you are, you're my shooting star.
E <3 B.