Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Re: Twilight Movie~Actors' Performances

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

I thought the entire supporting cast was a gem, and actually loved Jackson. Rob did the best job humanly possible- no pun intended- with Edward. However, I was not impressed with Kristen Stewart.
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
lilmisstrouble
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Isle of Esme. Between feathers and broken headboards.

Post by lilmisstrouble »

Oh boy, this movie is growing on me. Maybe because I'm trying REALLY hard to love it as much as the book - which will never happen - or get used to these actors so they don't ruin it for me on New Moon. But here's what I thought about their acting, in detail (I grabbed the template from a previous post, thanks for taking the time do that extended analysis on the cast):

Please let me know how you feel as well.

Kristen Stewart as Bella: Ok, Kristen is a talented actress. She seems a bit arrogant, especially for her age, but that's not my problem. I liked her a lot in Into the Wild, so I have faith in her. I think she did Bella justice, most of the time, and as well as she could've, given the circumstances. You see, a lot of what lacked of her Bella could also be the script, the director, the chemistry with Rob... But my question to her is: "why so serious?" - the Bella I read in the books is not THAT serious of a chick. I didn't see that girl smiling once in the movie. I mean come on, she is in love. With a vampire. A drop-dead (no pun intended) gorgeous freaking vampire. Let's live a little, huh, Bella?

Robert Pattinson as Edward: Hmmm, I honestly have mixed feelings about that. Again, I'm gonna blame the director, the script, the weather, maybe he was constipated for the meadow scene - Rob, I believe in you, buddy! I do, I know he loves the character of Edward and he had a chance to know Edward's side of the story and see how dark he can be. But at times, I felt like I was watching Derek Zoolander on the screen. It really bothered me. But then he lightened up, smiled, cracked jokes. When he didn't overdo it, he was truly *dazzling*.

Billy Burke as Charlie: Awesome. Nothing bad to say about him. Hospital scene had me cracking up and when Bella introduces Edward and he's cleaning his gun - "Bring him in!" - fantastic! :)

Ashley Greene as Alice: She's a cute, charming Alice. I can't wait to see more of her in New Moon.

Nikki Reed as Rosalie: Not my pick for Rosalie at all. First of all, I didn't buy that blond hair for one second. But some of my guy friends thought she looked incredibly hot, so I guess it worked and that was the purpose. Didn't really care for that kitchen scene with her breaking the salad bowl. But once again, not the actors' fault.

Jackson Rathbone as Jasper: Ai ai ai... Sorry. No. That guy just creeped me out. He reminded me of Edward Scissorhands in serious need of some laxatives. Besides, the makeup was terrible. But I'll get into that later.

Kellen Lutz as Emmett: A breath of fresh air. Exactly the Emmet I pictured. Thank you for not overdoing it, dude!

Peter Facinelli as Carlisle: Eh, it was ok. He is a good actor, but again, the hair. Why, the hair???

Cam Gigandet as James: I always had a soft spot for him, ever since the O.C. I knew he would pull it off. He delivered the "you brought a snack" perfectly, stealing the scene from everybody. Oh I love that scene. :)

Taylor Lautner as Jacob: Eh. Let's hope he gets more comfortable in Jacob's shoes for New Moon. I know the pressure is high on him right now, so I'm optimistic.

Anna Kendrick as Jessica: Perfect. The girl is a natural. But there was something very friendly about her. I can't see her being the ding dong the witch is dead which old witch the wicked witch that Jessica is on the books though.

Michael Welch as Mike: Sure, he was fine. He did not suck, and that says a lot about a member of the cast of Twilight. Sorry for being so harsh, everybody!

Christian Serratos as Angela: She was sweet and very likeable. Just like Angela.

Elizabeth Reaser as Esme: Perfect. Absolutely endearing. She was probably the most talented in the whole cast and completely underrated. She is the perfect motherly figure.

Edi Gathegi as Laurent: Pretty, pretty good. Gotta love that accent. Can't wait to see him again in New Moon. He gave me the heebeegeebees.

Rachelle Lefevre as Victoria: Sure, whatev. Cool hair.

Justin Chon as Eric: Hmmm, at first I thought they had made Eric into a gay guy in the movie and I was like "wtf?". But then it grew on me. He is adorkable. :)

Overall, there were flaws in the production of this movie that I believe contributed for the ensemble of suckiness that it turned out to be for many, many scenes. I am sorry for those of you who ADORED the movie and think I'm insane. Ok, I also LOVED the movie, like I tune in every monday night to watch The Hills and I can't miss an episode. It's so terrible that's it's good. You can't get enough of it and you laugh at the parts where the cast is taking it seriously. I caught myself doing the same thing in Twilight.

The whole makeup thing for the vampires, I couldn't get past that. They just looked like weirdos who got a deal on wholesale purchase for the wrong shade of foundation. Oh, and Rob was wearing eyeliner. Oh yes he was! My emo vampire! lol

Some of the lines that they added to the screenplay were unnecessary. Like someone mentioned here before, Bella telling Edward in biology "you were gone". Uh, yeah... do I know you, chica?
Other lines were great though, I loved the "it's called an adrenaline rush. It's very common. You can Google it". And the square root of pi one was also funny!

I hope they step it up a notch or two for New Moon. PLEASE Stephenie Meyer, Melissa Rosenberg, Chris Weitz - I know you can pull it off!
"Does my being half-naked bother you?"
Yes, please take the other half off. xoxo

http://www.whatwouldedwardcullendo.blogspot.com
twilightnewbie
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightnewbie »

cascsiany wrote:
twilightroxmysox wrote:Just quickly did Bella smile ONCE in the whole movie????? I don't know if it was bad acting or bad script but Bella/Edward seemed rushed and without chemistry.
Yes Bella did smile. She smiled when she was talking to Esme at the baseball game. I definitely think that the Bella/Edward relationship was rushed but I think it had more to do with the writing than with the acting.

As far as Kristen playing Bella, I think she seemed a little flat. Not necessarily because of her acting skills, but because the writing.
Honestly, did you Kristen haters even look at her much during the film. Re-watch the movie and look for all the times Bella smiles. Examples: When getting the truck as a gift, at prom (inside with Edward many times, outside talking to Jacob, and outside when Edward says his "Wolves descend..." joke), when walking down stairs to go to prom, at Eric's "La Push" joke, when Mike says "How do you lika the rain...", at Edward when she says "At least try to act human", after he calls her "spider monkey", in Edward's room when he gives her a twirl and she realizes he is trying to get her to dance, in the parking lot when Mike asks her to prom and she comments on her dancing skills, in the tree scene, in her bedroom when getting off the phone with her Mom and Edward is there, during her first phone conversation with her mom, when flirting with Jacob at the beach, during the conversation at the beach when she is sitting in the van, when Edward picks her up to take her to school (and when they get out of the car and she comments on how everyone is staring), at Cullen's house when she comments to Edward how it must suck to re-live high school all the time, when Edward puts the baseball cap on her at the field, in the diner at the "butt crack Santa" joke, and when she calls Rosalie out during the baseball scene (a wry smile to be sure) These are just some examples. And as far as Kristen's performance being emotionless, are you kidding me, look at her face as she is sitting next to Edward while he is playing the piano, for example, or the scene when she leaves her father (and in the truck immediately thereafter). I guess you can tell I'm a big Kristen Stewart fan.
Last edited by twilightnewbie on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Her blood entices
Out of dangerous desire
A thirsting for love
CrazilyObsessed024
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about one thing or another involving Twilight

Post by CrazilyObsessed024 »

twilightnewbie wrote:
cascsiany wrote:
twilightroxmysox wrote:Just quickly did Bella smile ONCE in the whole movie????? I don't know if it was bad acting or bad script but Bella/Edward seemed rushed and without chemistry.
Yes Bella did smile. She smiled when she was talking to Esme at the baseball game. I definitely think that the Bella/Edward relationship was rushed but I think it had more to do with the writing than with the acting.

As far as Kristen playing Bella, I think she seemed a little flat. Not necessarily because of her acting skills, but because the writing.
Honestly, did you Kristen haters even look at her much during the film. Re-watch the movie and look for all the times Bella smiles. Examples: When getting the truck as a gift, at prom, when walking down stairs to go to prom, at Eric's "La Push" joke, at Edward when she says "At least try to act human", after he calls her "spider monkey", in Edward's room when he gives her a twirl and she realizes he is trying to get her to dance, in parking lot when Mike asks her to prom and she comments on her dancing skills, in the tree scene, in her bedroom when getting off the phone with her Mom and Edward is there, when flirting with Jacob at the beach, when Edward picks her up to take her to school (and when they get out of the car and she comments on how everyone is staring), at Cullen's house when she comments to Edward how it must suck to re-live high school all the time, and when she calls Rosalie out during the baseball scene (a wry smile to be sure) These are just some examples. And as far as Kristen's performance being emotionless, are you kidding me, look at her face as she is sitting next to Edward while he is playing the piano, for example, or the scene when she leaves her father. I guess you can tell I'm a big Kristen Stewart fan.
I think we all just don't want to watch her mouth. I think she can be pretty if she keeps her mouth shut! I don't know why, her mouth annoys me. And she always has it half-open like a weirdo!
ImageImageImageImageImage
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

twilightnewbie wrote:
Honestly, did you Kristen haters even look at her much during the film. Re-watch the movie and look for all the times Bella smiles. Examples: When getting the truck as a gift, at prom, when walking down stairs to go to prom, at Eric's "La Push" joke, at Edward when she says "At least try to act human", after he calls her "spider monkey", in Edward's room when he gives her a twirl and she realizes he is trying to get her to dance, in parking lot when Mike asks her to prom and she comments on her dancing skills, in the tree scene, in her bedroom when getting off the phone with her Mom and Edward is there, when flirting with Jacob at the beach, when Edward picks her up to take her to school (and when they get out of the car and she comments on how everyone is staring), at Cullen's house when she comments to Edward how it must suck to re-live high school all the time, and when she calls Rosalie out during the baseball scene (a wry smile to be sure) These are just some examples. And as far as Kristen's performance being emotionless, are you kidding me, look at her face as she is sitting next to Edward while he is playing the piano, for example, or the scene when she leaves her father. I guess you can tell I'm a big Kristen Stewart fan.
Thanks, twilightnewbie for reminding us of all the times Kristen/Bella smiled in the movie!

I thought Kristen was great in "Into the Wild". Her character really stood out for me in the little screen time she was given. I also thought she gave a good performance in Twilight, and I don't really understand why so many people seem to think she either appeared "emotionless", "flat", or her acting was forced. I thought Kristen gave an understated and restrained performance and she brought my vision of Bella from the books to life. In my humble opinion, Kristen truly conveyed the essence of Bella from the books...the introverted, somewhat insecure teenager who doesn't really seem comfortable in her own skin, almost as if she doesn't really fit in anywhere, in Forks or Phoenix. The only scene I cringed at upon my first viewing was the hospital scene. However, I wasn't so bothered by it after a second viewing and I thought Kristen accurately portrayed the raw desperation Bella felt when Edward suggested she would be better off without him around.

Some people have suggested that Kristen/Bella appeared too serious in the movie version and that she should have appeared happier as Bella is in love for the first time. I probably need to read Twilight again, but I don't remember Bella from the book being girly, giggly, gushing, and smiling all the time. Yes, Bella is in love for the first time, but she's experiencing these new and very intense feelings for a vampire. She has to worry about the fact that he might not be able to resist drinking her blood, he could accidentally crush her skull or break her ribs if he holds her too tightly, his family members are also vampires and not all of them are thrilled that she's his girlfriend, etc. It's not exactly your normal teenage high school romance.
Banner by TammyAZ
Alison
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Alison »

older_twilight_fan wrote:
She has to worry about the fact that he might not be able to resist drinking her blood, he could accidentally crush her skull or break her ribs if he holds her too tightly, his family members are also vampires and not all of them are thrilled that she's his girlfriend, etc. It's not exactly your normal teenage high school romance.
It's open to interpretation, but I always thought the main idea in the book was that these things you've listed were Edward's feelings, not hers. In the book, he spends days (well, actually, all of Twilight) trying to instill these ideas in her head and her reaction was always that she didn't care.

I know the movie is different than the book in many ways, but in the book, Bella is happier once she's in love with Edward. I'm currently re-reading Twilight, and every time Bella sees Edward, her heart flutters, a smile spreads across her face. Her spirit is lighter. It's made obvious in the book that Bella is, not giggly and girly, but happier.
"...I wanted to dream. Maybe, if I could be unconscious, if I could dream, I could live for a few hours in a world where she and I could be together. She dreamed of me. I wanted to dream of her." -Edward, Midnight Sun
shortstuff
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by shortstuff »

CrazilyObsessed024 wrote:
twilightnewbie wrote:
cascsiany wrote:

I think we all just don't want to watch her mouth. I think she can be pretty if she keeps her mouth shut! I don't know why, her mouth annoys me. And she always has it half-open like a weirdo!
LOL, i have the exact same problem with kristen! its not that i dont like her, but there is just something about her jaw that annoys me, lol! it just hangs open in a wierd way...
CrazilyObsessed024
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about one thing or another involving Twilight

Post by CrazilyObsessed024 »

shortstuff wrote:
CrazilyObsessed024 wrote:
twilightnewbie wrote:
cascsiany wrote:

LOL, i have the exact same problem with kristen! its not that i dont like her, but there is just something about her jaw that annoys me, lol! it just hangs open in a wierd way...
Ha ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one!
ImageImageImageImageImage
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

Alison wrote:
older_twilight_fan wrote:
She has to worry about the fact that he might not be able to resist drinking her blood, he could accidentally crush her skull or break her ribs if he holds her too tightly, his family members are also vampires and not all of them are thrilled that she's his girlfriend, etc. It's not exactly your normal teenage high school romance.
It's open to interpretation, but I always thought the main idea in the book was that these things you've listed were Edward's feelings, not hers. In the book, he spends days (well, actually, all of Twilight) trying to instill these ideas in her head and her reaction was always that she didn't care.

I know the movie is different than the book in many ways, but in the book, Bella is happier once she's in love with Edward. I'm currently re-reading Twilight, and every time Bella sees Edward, her heart flutters, a smile spreads across her face. Her spirit is lighter. It's made obvious in the book that Bella is, not giggly and girly, but happier.

You made a great point Alison. It's been a little while since I've read Twilight, and I've forgotten how we were able to see signs of Bella's happiness since we were privy to her thoughts and feelings. It does make more sense that most of these feelings of worry and concern over their relationship belonged to Edward, and not Bella. She did have to deal with his angst over being a vampire and all the ways that could affect their relationship. I suppose that could put a small damper on the happy and carefree feelings one would hopefully feel when they are in love for the first time.

I'm looking forward to reading Twilight again, as well as the rest of the series. I'm pretty new to the Twilight phenomenon and read all the books this past fall. I purposely avoided rereading Twilight until after viewing the movie as I hoped it would help me enjoy the movie more and not obsess over aspects that were omitted or changed from the book. It will be nice to reread the books more slowly and fully absorb everything, now that I know the ending. I plowed through each book so quickly the first time that I'm certain I missed many details.
Banner by TammyAZ
Vampire4eva
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Vampire4eva »

I dont think it was bad acting on Kirsten's part but more of the director and Stephenie both would have had ideas about the how the character should have been played, probably one of the many reasons they chose to get a new director.
Obviously it would have been nice to see her smiling nervously a few times when she saw Edward at school.
I did like the cinematography throughout the film though, the camera pan when she reveals she knows he's a vampire, the ballet scene with the several reflections of James.
The opening sequence when she arrives at school when she first sees Edward. I thought when her hair gets blown was a little predictable like a advert for shampoo I guess it was a good way to intensify her smell. I loved the volleyball scene and thought she did quite well.
Charlie Swan was great in the movie.

For a low budget film it did surpass my expectations in many ways.