The Classics -- Films, books, etc

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

The Classics -- Films, books, etc

Post by Nena »

We had a request for classic novels and films, so here it is a thread to discuss them all. Have fun!
talirhee
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: The Classics -- Films, books, etc

Post by talirhee »

Dracula and Frankenstein would have to be my favourites. =)
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

^^ The films or books? Just curious. I've never read the books, but I've seen a few adaptations of each.

My classics, as far as books, tend to be more American Southern Delta literature (ie. Mississippi writers). I love William Faulkner (have toured his home in Oxford, MS), Flannery O'Connor, and Tennessee Williams. My favorite Faulkner novel is Light in August. My favorite O'Connor short story is "Good Country People," and my favorite Williams' play is "A Streetcar Named Desire."

My favorite classic films are "It Happened One Night," "Move Over, Darling," and "The Shop Around the Corner."
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I love Jane Austen. Especially Persuasion. Most people are all over Pride and Prejudice, but I can't get enough of Persuasion, it's so great.
I'm also really liking Charlotte Bronte. I've read Jane Eyre and I'm on Villette now. I really like her style of writing.
Don't care for Dickens at all, he needs to learn when to shut up. And yes, I know he was paid per word, but if he had just written more stories with the right amount of words then he would have had just as much money.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
talirhee

Post by talirhee »

Umm, both. hahaa.

The movies for Frankestein. I'm curently reading the book.
And the book for Dracula - I haven't seen any movies on account of I didn't want to ruin the story before I read it. I should probably go out and watch them now...
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

I recommend the Dracula movie with Gary Oldman. I LOVE Mary Shelley's Frankenstein with Kenneth Branaugh.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

I think all of Jane Austen books should be read: they're all great in their own way. I adore Pride and Prejudice but I would recommend also Northanger Abbey - written to imitate and mock the gothic novels of the time - and Sense and Sensibility (the movie is also very good). To those who love Pride and Prejudice I have an advice: forget Keira Knightley and see the BBC version with Colin Firth...priceless!

Debussygirl I agree with you about Dickens: his writing is so over-estimated. David Copperfield scared the pants off me :?

Talking about classics: what about Shakespeare? I love him...he's really the best. Everyone can find something suitable to personal taste in his works: comedies, dark comedies, historical plays, witty poetry, love poetry, tragedies. My favourite are A Midsummer Night's Dream, Much Ado about Nothing and Hamlet.
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

talirhee

Post by talirhee »

dimber wrote:Talking about classics: what about Shakespeare? I love him...he's really the best. Everyone can find something suitable to personal taste in his works: comedies, dark comedies, historical plays, witty poetry, love poetry, tragedies. My favourite are A Midsummer Night's Dream, Much Ado about Nothing and Hamlet.
*sigh* I love Shakespeare! That man was truly a genius.
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

I agree with the sentiment on Dickens. Ick. I had to read Hard Times in Brit Novel, and I hated it.

I love Huxley's Brave New World, Wells' The Time Machine, Matthew Lewis' The Monk, Flaubert's Faust, and the alleged Shakespeare Titus Andronicus.

I also say I'm not a fan of British Literature, but perhaps I am in a way.

I enjoy distopian, apocalyptic literature. I'm warped like that. ;)
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
CullenxLove
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: frolicing through the unicorn forest that is RPattz's hair

Post by CullenxLove »

debussygirl wrote:Don't care for Dickens at all, he needs to learn when to shut up. And yes, I know he was paid per word, but if he had just written more stories with the right amount of words then he would have had just as much money.
I have to agree about Dickens, I just had to read A Tale Of Two Cities for english. It was TORTURE! lol

Team Edward, Emmett, Alice, Jacob, Garrett, Jasper, Seth, Bella, Charlie, and Renesmee<3
"And by the way I adore you..in frightening, dangerous ways" - Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun