Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
EdwardCullen4eva
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by EdwardCullen4eva »

1. It depends on how well i knew edward. If i just met him and he gave me some expensive car, i might be a little reluctant. How often is it that a stranger comes up and gives you a sports car??? If i knew him, of course i would say no, just to be polite, but if he insisted, and i knew it made him happy, then i would say yes.

2. I was a bit annoyed that Charlie put up posters, becuase seriously, do you think that Charlie would do that for Edward, not likely. I think that Charlie was fine doing that, but if Charlie knew the secrtet that edward was a were wolf, he probably wouldnt, which explains why Billy didn't. Another reason i think is becuase Charlie was trying to make a deal of showing Bella how much he like jacob, or how much more he like Jacob over Edward.

3. I was really annoyed the way Charlie acted, becuase aren't you supposed to support your kids in the decisons they make??? I think Charlie could have put on a happy face, and been happy for Bella, becuase this meant a lot to bella, and even more to Edward. I was NOT suprised at Renee's reaction. I did not believe Charlie when he assumed the way Renee would act. After all, Renee was a lot more supportive about Edward than Charlie.

4. i was a little nervous, when Bella was meeting Kate and Tanya, only becuase Tanya used to like Edward and I thought that Tanya might be little rude to Bella, but after Bella met Tanya and they were all nice to eachother, i wasn't really nevous, but excited. I wasn't really thinking that much about Jacob becuase of everything else that was on my mind about their wedding, but i was glad Jacob could put his feelings aside to make the day even more special for Bella.
EdwardCullen4eva
Settled in Forks

1. It depends on how well i knew edward. If i just met him and he gave me some expensive car, i might be a little reluctant. How often is it that a stranger comes up and gives you a sports car??? If i knew him, of course i would say no, just to be polite, but if he insisted, and i knew it made him happy, then i would say yes.

2. I was a bit annoyed that Charlie put up posters, becuase seriously, do you think that Charlie would do that for Edward, not likely. I think that Charlie was fine doing that, but if Charlie knew the secrtet that edward was a were wolf, he probably wouldnt, which explains why Billy didn't. Another reason i think is becuase Charlie was trying to make a deal of showing Bella how much he like jacob, or how much more he like Jacob over Edward.

3. I was really annoyed the way Charlie acted, becuase aren't you supposed to support your kids in the decisons they make??? I think Charlie could have put on a happy face, and been happy for Bella, becuase this meant a lot to bella, and even more to Edward. I was NOT suprised at Renee's reaction. I did not believe Charlie when he assumed the way Renee would act. After all, Renee was a lot more supportive about Edward than Charlie.

4. i was a little nervous, when Bella was meeting Kate and Tanya, only becuase Tanya used to like Edward and I thought that Tanya might be little rude to Bella, but after Bella met Tanya and they were all nice to eachother, i wasn't really nevous, but excited. I wasn't really thinking that much about Jacob becuase of everything else that was on my mind about their wedding, but i was glad Jacob could put his feelings aside to make the day even more special for Bella.
EdwardCullen4eva
Settled in Forks

EdwardCullen4eva
Settled in Forks

EdwardCullen4eva
Settled in Forks

EdwardCullen4eva
Settled in Forks

EdwardCullen4eva
Settled in Forks

EdwardCullen4eva
Settled in Forks

IsabellaAnastasia
Settled in Forks

Post by IsabellaAnastasia »

Alphie wrote:1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
HECK NO!!! I mean he has unlimited funds and while most people say things like 'it's just money' the Cullens REALLY mean that! I understand she is a simple and prideful person and a car like that would cause a commotion in a small town like that, but she would need to get used that kind of stuff anyway, so why not start now? :) Besides, I gotta tell ya, her inability to except his gifts has seriously frustrated me through-out the series. It's like, there's stubborn and then there's just ridiculous, ya know?
Alphie wrote:2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
Ok, that is a tricky question because while you are correct in the 'jurisdiction' part of it...Charlie wasn't thinking like a police officer entirely, he was thinking as a concerned parent in regards to a kid that he has known forever. A kid that is his daughters best friend and HIS best friend's son. Charlie didn't know what really happend to Jacob either and honestly if a friend of yours disappeared and no one seemed to be doing anything about it, wouldn't you do something? I know I would.

Alphie wrote:3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
You know, Charlie isn't dumb and while he may have not liked the situation he seems pretty level headed about most things. He is the head of the police department...he HAS to be fairly intelligent. He isn't blind either, he saw something coming, sure he was shocked but his reaction was fitting because he thought he could count on Renee giving Bella crap for her decision. Obviously that didn't happen but at that point it was a done deal and the polls were closed (so to speak) so honestly I liked his reaction...I honestly thought his reaction was quite perfect.
As for Renee...I was honestly shocked! I mean Renee ran out of her marriage, spoke harshly of early marriages so much so that it seriously effected Bella to the point that even though she was willing to end her life to be with man she KNEW she loved for all eternity she wouldn't say yes. That is a serious impact. So, while I WAS shocked at first...after her mother explained her stance on the subject in direct regards to Bella...it made complete sense after that. After-all it's true that Bella has never been a kid emotionally speaking.
Alphie wrote:4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
No, I wasn't nervous I was anxious for it to FINALLY happen. YES! I absolutely KNEW Jacob would come back. He is stubborn and crazy, but he loved Bella and it was inevitable that he would come back!
Last edited by IsabellaAnastasia on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

If I knew that giving me a car would make Edward happy, I'll go along with it. I would probably have requested he give me something more practical, instead of a Mercedes! I mean, I don't think missiles really find their way to Forks, do they?

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.

I think he was justified. Charlie views Jacob like a son.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?

Classic Charlie, I love it! :lol:
It also made me laugh out loud when he started laughing about Bella being the one to have to tell Renee.
Renee's reaction...Hm...being as how she's so scatterbrained and flakey, I was not surprised that she was totally cool with it. With Renee, you never know what you're gonna get!
I thought maybe she would flip out, but I was happy to see that she was so cool about it.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?

At first I kinda did NOT want Jacob to show up cos I know it would be really painful for him, and I LOVE Jacob.
But I was glad he came! It made Bella's day complete, before the disaster.
I LOVE the wedding in general, one of my most anticipated scenes in the movie, OH THEY BETTER MAKE A MOVIE! Actually, better to make BD into 2 movies!
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank