A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
emilycullenx
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: CHapter 3 ~ Phenomenon

Post by emilycullenx »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee? I just thought she was being "Renee." She tends to [for lack of a better statement] blow things out of proportion; she just freaks out quickly. She lovesBella so much, and it's only natural that, after hearing about her daughter almost being crushed by a van, she'd want to be near her, or at least have her home waiting, you know? I'd say that's more of a mother feeling, rather than just Renee spazzing over something. I still understand Bella's point, too, though; how many times must she say she's ok? Haha.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later? I definitely missed things; as odd as it may sound, I had "troubles" visualizing it correctly. I thought it was absurdly cool, though.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident? I liked it; he seemed very calm about it, though; the complete opposite of Renee.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions? He seemed so nice! And I got all excited because he was Edward's dad. Hah.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you? He didn't frighten me at all; I think I got a little frustrated when Bells and Edward started "bickering." I felt like he was being a little harsh, but Bella was being just as persistent. (:
Last edited by emilycullenx on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"every single memory is erasing;
going back to the times when we were strangers.
"
SydlovesTwilight
Settled in Forks

Post by SydlovesTwilight »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
Similarities started to show that were much like my mom. So I wasn't surprised by anything she did really.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
I had most of them the first time around, but when Bella recaps, i had to go back and re-read the section.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?
I thought he was just like a father should be. Maybe more hysteria would have been interesting, but uncharacteristic of Charlie.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions?
I saw him much like a greek god with light glowing all around him, but that later faded into flourescent hospitals lights. :lol:

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
Still intrigued me. i don't now why, but just like Bella, no fear.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
I think Renee is just a very flighty woman. She cares deeply about Bella, but Bella typically takes care of her. Renee is just altogether needy.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
When the accident was actually taking place, I knew something funny was going on. When Bella was thinking about it later, however, it was much more clarifying. I knew at this point there was something strange about Edward, and he obviously had a big secret to keep.

I think Charlie is a good Dad and responded to the situation appropriately.

He sounds very handsome. Other than that, I don't think we get to know him enough here to make any solid judgments.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
I was intrigued. I knew he was hiding something, and I just had to figure out what.
Megsimadic
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Megsimadic »

I think, the thing with Renee is, she not only see's Bella as a daughter, but also her best friend. So she is needy for her company and of course worried that her life choices are upsetting the way Bella is living. She's very frantic about her, but also likes to live young.

I think I was a little mixed up with the accident at first, but I got what happened.

Typical normal parent response

I thought Carlisle was amazingly understanding

It kind of annoyed me how he wasnt giving straight answers but I guess it was supposed to annoy me
My Youtube - My Livejournal
Private Meg Shinigami of Jasper's Confederate Army

Team Jasper:He is my happy hormone
Team Alice: Because Im short and annoying too!
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

She loves her daughter. Anyone could see that. Just because she's scatterbrained doesn't mean that she doesn't love her daughter any less.

With the accident, I read through it a couple times but I think we get more about it when Bella thinks about it later because some details don't come back to you til later and I think that is what happened with the readers too. We got more out of it as Bella recalled it.

Typical parent. Scared. Worried. Perfectly normal. And it's nice to see emotion from Charlie because we can assume that he really doesn't show a whole lot of emotion - he just covers it up.

Competent. Gorgeous! and of course, to quote Bella, "in on it".

They fascinated me. I could tell that he didn't want to share his secret - at least not in this chapter - and he didn't want to bring anymore attention to himself - or his family.
Krystal
Lured By the Scent

Post by Krystal »

I thought that Renee wasn't really responsible, but I could tell that she loved Bella very much, and just wanted her to be happy.

I went back and re-read it, because everything seemed to happen so fast that I didn't catch it all, but when Bella thought about it later I knew something was up.

I thought Charlie acted like a normal father would. I know if my father found out I almost got hit by a car that he would probably come and make sure I was okay.

I thought he was gorgeous like Edward and smart and also knew what Edward was up to.

I was intrigued! I really wanted to know what happened next and what was really going on with Edward.
by myhopesaresohigh @ vesperarium
Melarian
Settled in Forks

Post by Melarian »

She is a very chaotic person who obviously talks too much and without thinking before. I didn't like the way she reacts so hysterical. Maybe she had the impression that Bella was unhappy but even then she could have acted a bit more like a grown-up person.

I think I got the details the first time I read the scene and I kept wondering about the same things as Bella does later in hospital.

It showed that he really cares for his daughter. Maybe his reaction was a bit over the top but Bella could have died in that accident so he was probably right to worry.

I thought he must be a very nice man.

A bit of both, I think.
Elsbyth
Settled in Forks

Post by Elsbyth »

That Renee is immature and thinks of Bella as more of a friend than a daughter. And also that she's a drama queen.

Well I read that part a couple of times before moving on so I think I got all the details of the accident. That pretty much solidified for me that Bella was the most important thing in existence to Edward for him to have jeopardized his family that way.

I thought it proved that no matter how uninterested Charlie might seem or how uncomfortable he is with Bella living with him now, he loves her more than anything.

That he loves Edward and that he has amazing self control.

Intrigue. Everything about him intrigued me.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee? I didn't catch that Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Again, I read this so fast that I missed that. I think that Renee probably thought that Charlie couldn't take care of her.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later? Man, I had to re-read the accident to understand what happened. I was just as shocked as Bella when I read that Edward was holding her and asked if she were all right!

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident? I think it was a perfectly all right response for a father to have.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions? I thought that he knew what really happened. If Bella thought that Edward was the most gorgeous guy she'd ever seen, then I could only imagine what Carlisle would look like!

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you? Ugh- this is why I don't really like the first-person narrative... throughout the whole book, we don't see what Edward is thinking; we don't know the reasons behind his "eyes narrowing infinitesimally," the quick, single nods with his head, the ambivalent looks on his face... I found it frustrating.
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

I thought that Renne wasn't at all thoughtful and that she doesn't exactly..think...before she speaks.

I got it all =P

It made me realize how much he actually did care for Bella

I thought at first that he was kinda rude.....but after wards I liked him a lot.

intrigue lol
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett