Chapter 3: The Big Day

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
EdwardCullen4eva
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 3: The Big Day

Post by EdwardCullen4eva »

1. I think that Bella has put a lot of though into her and Edward taking it to the next level, and she is also very nervous about becoming a vampire. She knows that the next day, she will belong to a family of vampires, and become one very soon. My opinion is that all of this is stressing her out and coming all together in one jumbled mess.

2. I think that Rosalie finally accepted the fact that Bella was going to be part of the family, and there is nothing she can do to stop it. I also think that maybe, just maybe (this prediction isn't based on anything in the book, just somehting that came to mind) that Rosalie wanted to get closer to Bella and to try to convince her not get turned into a vampire. But the reason i think most, is that Rosalie was trying to relive her human years through Bella, the short time that she had anyway.

3. I think that Renee meant that Alice wanted to do everyhting herself. Everyone knows how Alice is a big party planner, and goes way over the top, so anyone that really knew alice (well, but didn't know she was a vampire) would just assume that she wanted to do everyhting herself, but since Renee isn't best friends with alice, and that wasn't a very big part in the book, it's really anyones guess (except stephenie meyers, of course)

4. I think that she finally realized it was a good thing, when she looked into his eyes and really saw how happy they were together. i also think she could have been thinking about the rest of forever they were going to spend together. That is a very hard question becuase Bella had been very dead set against getting married and big celebrations, and she never gave any hints. Another reason might have been becuase she was extremely happy at the moment, surrounded by family and friends and she was just caught up in the moment and realized all the positive things that came with that choice.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

twilightfan1 wrote:The memories of Rosalie's human wedding. She talked about how it was big and beautiful because her fiancee was rich and so it was everything she wanted. I think she remembers the feeling of happiness that her wedding gave her and wanted Bella to enjoy hers as much as possible, by calling a silent sort of truce for the day that Bella would have noticed.
Just wanted to point out- Rosalie never got married while human. She was engaged, yes- but on p. 158 of Eclipse (HB) she mentions that the wedding "was only a week away" when the attack on her happened. So perhaps in a sense, she longs for the wedding that she didn't get to have- although from Twilight we do know that she and Emmett have been married- most likely, more than once. :)
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:Thanks to jenni_elyse for the discussion questions!

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella?

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself?

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?

1) I think it is the result of the words spoken by Carlise that had such a profound and emotional impact, that she would dream of this. But, I have often wondered if this was part of the 'premonition gift' that I always thought Bella possessed.

2)With Rosalie, who knows. But it could have been Edward and Alice that may have warned her to behave herself. It also could have been Rosalie resigning herself to Bella's choice and Rosalie deciding to behave and play nice.

3)Probably Alice wanting to do this wedding herself.

4)I think that she saw she was gaining everything by marrying Edward and that she had been silly to be so afraid of marriage period and NOT the idea of marrying Edward.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I just wanna say I LOVED this chapter!

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella?
I just thought that it was Bella being Bella having another one of her crazy dreams.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?
I first thought oh good, Rose is going to play nice for one day at least. I think also she realized it's Bella's life & she has made her decision. She wants to be w/Edward forever and no one will change her mind. Also after what happened in NM & their "bonding" experience in Eclipse I think they like each other better & understand each other more. And I bet Esme, Emmett, Alice, & Edward told Rose to be nice & let Bella (and Edward) have their day.

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself?
I just figured it was Alice being her party, control freak self & wanting to make everything perfect for the wedding and reception.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?
Mostly I think she was just afraid of getting married because
1) she's just out of high school
2)the reaction of Rene and Charlie
3)The reaction of the community & their classmates
4)the spectacle weddings can become & all the attention!
So she realized that she really loves Edward, he loves her, they both want to be together forever and she was just being silly fearing it. Marriage and being with the person you love forever is a good, happy thing.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
elizabella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: In our cottage, discussing the latest fashion trends with Alice.

Post by elizabella »

I know this is the wrong place but since I don't see sort of a generic Breaking Dawn conversation I'm confused...when somebody changes into a vampire, they are frozen exactly as is so why isn't Bella at least a little chubby. I know you lose a lot of the weight once the baby is born, but she'd hardly be perfect would she? Also what about all her broken bones?

Alice's Party Planning Committe: (*bag carrier*)
Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

elizabella wrote:I know this is the wrong place but since I don't see sort of a generic Breaking Dawn conversation I'm confused...when somebody changes into a vampire, they are frozen exactly as is so why isn't Bella at least a little chubby. I know you lose a lot of the weight once the baby is born, but she'd hardly be perfect would she? Also what about all her broken bones?
If you recall, prior to them discovering what food would actually help the fetus, it was taking nourishment from her. As a result, she was losing a lot of weight- the opposite of normal for a pregnant woman. When they discovered the "fix," she was able to bounce back to some semblance of her usual self- she wasn't able to gain that much weight, as the pregnancy was highly accelerated and never came to term.

As for the injuries and broken bones, the venom heals and changes as it travels through the body. Go back to the chapter where she describes the change- at one point she says that the pain suddenly doubled, as if some severed connection was fixed. That would have been her spine being reconnected. Also, in a later chapter, you hear Carlisle remind Edward about Esme's condition when she went through the process, and look at how Esme turned out. :)
elizabella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: In our cottage, discussing the latest fashion trends with Alice.

Post by elizabella »

Ah yeah, thank you, i feel dense. Shucks guess I better go read them again :oops: ;)

Alice's Party Planning Committe: (*bag carrier*)
Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-I was too excited for the wedding to really think about the dream too much, so it kind of just blew past me haha.

-Rosalie probably realized that there was no stopping Bella and Edward now, so she might as well help her out in time of need, seeing as they would become family memebers soon.

-Maybe it was Renee picking up on Alice being attune to everyones actions, but I think Renee was just stating that Alice wanted to do everything herself, she was probably too happy for Bella to notice much else.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “I knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?
-I think she realizes now it's a good thing because by marrying Edward she's making him truly happy and she loves Edward so much that making him happy is making her "win" too.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

Maybe it's a bit of both. She's nervous about the wedding and in situations of tension, Bella has some very vivid dreams.

I can't believe I'll write this, but I think she was happy for Edward. Her family was happy. it was a day for celebrate and maybe she thought 'Why not?" I would not be surprised to know that Emmett had something to do with it.

Well, when it's about Renee, you can never be really sure. :lol: Maybe she's being litteral. But I think she's just saying that Alice refused any financial help.

Because she was being pretty much childish about the wedding. But I know Bella was raised with a determinated idea about early wedding. And as it happens with some situations, when you finally experience it, you have the opportunity to realize how things are and for Bella, she saw how important and beautiful that ceremony was. It wasn't an annoying party. It was a ritual that would declare that Edward and her belonged together.
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

At first I thought it was just Bella having last minute bride jitters esp since Edward was not with her that last night and she rarely sleeps thru the night without him there. But as the story developed, I could tell it was SM's signature way of foreshadowing events thru dreams.

Several reasons. Rosalie has been slowly warming up to Bella thru the series, she can see how sincere Bella is and how much she loves Edward, risking her life in Volterra, etc. Even tho Rosalie is a B **** most of the time, I think she still has the ability to think of someone's happiness. She knows this is Bella's big day, Rosalie's had several weddings with Emmett, she knows what it is like to be a bride. Even tho she does not agree with all of Bella's decisions, I'd like to believe Rose is nice enough to put that aside and not ruin Bella's day.

I think Renee has no clue. She is just remarking on how Alice love to plan everything herself, til the very last little detail.

Bella tends to overanalyze everything, in this case the wedding, so she ends up being stressed over something any of us would kill for to have. In the end, when she was actually there, she realizes it just FEELS right, so she finally sees the wedding the same way Edward does, that both of them were winning.
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank