Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

Bewitched
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

Post by Bewitched »

Bac, love the eye candy. Great job.

I've been fighting something for the last few days. I don't think I have the flu though, just something I ate that is messing with my system. So I'm at work trying to ignore my grumpy tummy.

I remember reading the FitA when I was in high school. I can't remember all the details but I know it's not one I think I would want to read again.

i had to take a break from DH (I know, :shock: ) so I read the HON series. I really liked them. The next one comes out in March. Jeesh, my whole paycheck is going to go for books in March.
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

bac, hun i think those examples of eye candy just made my fever spike even higher. mmm...such nice strong jawlines. i don't know why i'm suddenly obsessed with jaws...could be that all of the PC books involve a lot of jaw kissing and stroking.

Bewitched...i'm right there with you on spending my paycheques on books in March. So many new ones coming out...i can't keep up with them all.
ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

I need to get back into reading. I'm actually contemplating getting The Host and reading that. Has anyone read that book yet? Also if any of you wouldn't mind helping I would like to know suggestions of good books to read. I've been thinking about the books that True Blood is based of off aside from The Host but anything else you could suggest would be appreciated.
Ifeellikerain
Learning to Love Green

Post by Ifeellikerain »

ellalou73 wrote:I need to get back into reading. I'm actually contemplating getting The Host and reading that. Has anyone read that book yet? Also if any of you wouldn't mind helping I would like to know suggestions of good books to read. I've been thinking about the books that True Blood is based of off aside from The Host but anything else you could suggest would be appreciated.
that's funny i just bought both of those but haven't read either yet. when i do ill let you know if i liked em. Im just finishing up a book called american gods by neil gaimen that's really good, though a little slow. its fantasy i suppose, definitely more adult. anyways check it out, if you want a better description pm me :)

oh and I'm new to this board, i've been watching for a while but this is the first i've had any real input. this board gets kinda crazy and confusing at times :D
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

You asked for book suggestions, so here you go: (You didn't specify what genre)

Lovely Bones - Alice Sebald
Drowning Ruth - Can't remember
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Neffenegger
Good in Bed - Jennifer Weiner
Goodnight Nobody - Jennifer Weiner
Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Kindred - Octavia Butler

Outlander Series - Diana Gabaldon
Sookie Stackhouse series - Charlaine Harris
Dawn Series - Octavia Butler

Smut:
Dark-Hunter Series - Sherrilyn Kenyon
Black Dagger Brotherhood Series - JR Ward
Psy-Changelings Series - Nalini Singh
Midnight Breed Series - Lara Adrian

^^ Those are my favorites. :twisted:
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
Ifeellikerain
Learning to Love Green

Post by Ifeellikerain »

oh I also wanted to suggest the Otherland series by tad Williams, its scifi fantasy and probably my fav series ever next to twilight/harry potter (though its way more adult than those...)

oh and thanks goodnight elizabeth, I think im going to check some of those out as well :)
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

GREAT list GNE!!! And for those looking for YA:
  • House of Night series by P.C. and Kristin Cast
    Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
    The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Claire
    Nightworld series by L.J. Smith
Another great series I really enjoyed was the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. It's really good and has an off-shoot series called Alpha and Omega series. I do recommend before you read the first book in Alpha and Omega (and there is only the first book out anyway, called Cry Wolf second book due out this year), read the short story by Patricia Briggs in the anthology called On the Prowl. I didn't like the rest of the stories in the anthology, but the short story in there sets up Cry Wolf.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

GNE, thanks for the long list of stories. I think I'll have to try out the smut first, but I don't know what series to try out first BDB or DHS..decisions decisions. I did order The Host so that one will be first, but I think after the paycheck I'll probably go with DHS, or BDB, or maybe both I wonder if they have them on audio...
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Of course, I have to recommend that if you're going to start with smut, you should begin with the Black Dagger Brotherhood. I say that because that is how the rest of us began. You know you don't want to be the oddball, right? Exactly. :twisted: :lol:

I also have a really good collection of Vietnam War Literature, if anyone is interested in reading it. I'm a child of a Vietnam vet, and the books allowed me access into a world he kept (rightfully) hidden away. I took a seminar in Grad School on Vietnam War Lit, so it isn't just stuff I've chosen. It's stuff I've studied - somewhat.

New Moon News:
Check it out! Dakota Fanning in talks to play Jane in New Moon! THIS makes me happy! Article
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

Goodnight Elizabeth wrote:Of course, I have to recommend that if you're going to start with smut, you should begin with the Black Dagger Brotherhood. I say that because that is how the rest of us began. You know you don't want to be the oddball, right? Exactly. :twisted: :lol:

I also have a really good collection of Vietnam War Literature, if anyone is interested in reading it. I'm a child of a Vietnam vet, and the books allowed me access into a world he kept (rightfully) hidden away. I took a seminar in Grad School on Vietnam War Lit, so it isn't just stuff I've chosen. It's stuff I've studied - somewhat.

New Moon News:
Check it out! Dakota Fanning in talks to play Jane in New Moon! THIS makes me happy! Article
Okay so BDB it is, I think I like that idea anyway and heaven forbid I be the oddball ;) I'm excited now that you said that about Dakota. There is actually a youtube fan vid and in it they had a clip of Dakota playing the part of Jane, they used her role in Hide in Seek where she had brown hair I think, but since seeing that vid I've been rather hopeful.