What did you think of the Twilight Series?

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
newtothis
Settled in Forks

Re: What did you think of the Twilight Series?

Post by newtothis »

I really realy enjoyed it. Its somewhere I can completely imerse myself, without a thought to the outside world. I have just finished reading the series for the 5th time (my brother thinks I am crazy) and still love it.

In our year group (16 girls, 10 boys), the girls are divided right down the middle. All the girls were reading them in the other group, and I got curious. I borrowed twilight from the library over a weekend, which was a mistake, as soon as i started I couldn't put it down. Then I finished (by saturday morning) and was left waiting to get New Moon. I bought the next three on the Monday and read them within that week.

Even my brother loves them, I finally convinced him to read them a fortnight ago, and he read them (the series) in 4 days, which is pretty fast, for him.

I enjoyed the movie, but not compared to the book. But as a movie it was great. I'm going to see it again this weekend.
twilightpoint
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightpoint »

I posted another review this time it's about the book.

Agree? Disagree?
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by edward4ever »

MoonBeam09 wrote:Just finished Breaking Dawn and I'm heartbroken, because it's over! I LOVED this saga... I know Stephenie has said she needs a break from vampires... but I really realy really hope she doesn't stop! There are so many characters that I have fallen in love with in this universe. I am so glad the world will keep going at least with the movies. Ack! I have never been so sad to see a book end. I wanted Breaking Dawn to go on forever... and people can say what they want about it, but I was so glad there was a happy ending! I hate how people feel like for something to be artistic it needs to be tragic - I love how SM really creates a fantasy world... and that means happy ending and all. Life can be cruel, I'm glad this world didn't play by the rules... I just can't say enough how much I really want to read more Twlight books... KEEP EM COMING SM!

PS I cried... anyone else feel really sad when it was over, because it was so good?
Yes, I got pretty depressed the first time I finished BD. I walked around for a week literally sighing at everything. Nothing had the same appeal to me anymore. I missed Edward and I looked for him in every face I saw. (and I'm NOT a teenager! I'm a grown woman with a husband and children!)

I finally figured out that I would try and read parts of the books again to see if that helped. Usually, I can't read a book twice...I've read it....what's the point.? But it helped! A great deal! And now I have read the series at least 9 times, not including quick trips to my favorite parts as often as I can. I'm not tired of them yet. I still laugh, smile and get sad at the same parts. Luckily, I don't cry like I did the first time (BAWLED MY EYES OUT when Edward left and felt real pain in my heart when I read pages OCTOBER, NOVEMBER, DECEMBER AND JANUARY for the first time).
I don't see myself ever getting tired of this series. :D
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
CullensGirl14
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by CullensGirl14 »

i first heard of Stephanie Meyer reading a Sunday supplement of The Mail on Sunday, i read it and was very interested in finding the books, but soon forgot about it. I then read an article by a journalist about her daughter reading it, and not being able to put it down, along with taking her to the premiere and meeting the actor playing Edward.

I knew there was a movie and i'm really into reading books about Vampires and Werewolves etc, so before i went to see the movie (which i must get round to doing hehe) i read the books, going in with the attitude that: Books are generally better than the films and if i didn't like it, i didn't have to carry on.

OH MY GOD, i became hooked, i read Twilight first, starting on the train from home back to uni, i got halfway through when i had to stop. In the taxi to campus, all i could think about Bella and Edward. I didn't even talk to the driver like i would normally do. I practically ran to the cafeteria so i could read some more.

I was so hooked, my fiance was talking to me and i actually didn't hear it. I'd completely zoned out. That has never happened before, i mean, i've enjoyed books so much that i haven't been able to put them down, but i've never zoned out.

I finished the book and then had to wait a week before i could pick up the next one (they're my mum's books), i totally agree with the comment about Meyer lacing the books with something lol, i really was like an addict waiting for my next twilight 'fix' if i can call it that.

I read the others over christmas and am now waiting for mum to get round to reading them so i can have them. (I keep looking at them in the shops and get very tempted to buy my own copies then i can read them when i like, but i'm told to be patient).

Twilight is the only set of books that i have actually drafted a fan letter saying how Twilight affected me individually.

My other half doesn't understand the addictiveness of the books...he's too busy (for the majority of his time) on his games console or computer playing a game, he does read, but not often and i don't believe there has ever been a 'twilight' for him.

This saga will become a classic. I will be reading them to my children (when i have children) and my class along with Narnia and The Lord of the Rings. (i may even have to purchase more sets, one for my children and another for class, but not for a few years yet lol.)
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow. How did it come to this?
ECLover
Settled in Forks

Post by ECLover »

Hmm… where to begin? I always been really into Sci-Fi, fantasy movies and TV series, such as Supernatural, Moonlight (Too bad it was cancelled), Ghost Whisperer, Charmed etc. I like reading books in Chinese (Chinese is my first language, so please excuse my bad spelling.. :oops: ) and again Sci-Fi and fantacy only. I never into reading book in English aside textbooks, so when my co-worker came to me one day telling me about Twilight movie and insisted that I should go watch it. I thought why not? I love movies! :D

Before all of this I have no cue Twilight was such a phenomenon, after I watched the movie I was left with wanted more and the only way to quench my thirst were the book, but I wasn’t sure I will get though reading another English book (I have try start reading Harry Potter, and Narnia but never finish any of it) Anyway I decided to stop by Barnes & Noble after fighting with myself unstoppable for a few days, I got there just to realize Twilight has saga and it’s has total of 4 books :P so here I go again thinking, deciding or fighting rather with myself whether to start and finish something or walk away and never think about it again. Well, I’m pound to say I’ve lost the battle :mrgreen: I shopped around and decided that I wanted the book set online from Amazon, but they were out of stock till February :| , I order it anyway thought I have patience to wait for it, but I was wrong…sooo wrong. 2 of my co-workers was reading the 1st book, after watching them I found myself in Barnes & Noble purchasing the cheaper paperback of Twilight that I can find just to tide me over till my book set arrive.

After the few chapters I was hooked, I found myself drawn into the world of Twilight and I can’t put my book down, at last I finished the book in less then 3 days but I was left with more crave, so I decided to cancel my order from Amazon then stop by Barnes & Noble before work to pick up New Moon. Just before I left for work the UPS deliver man drop a box off with my name on it, not knowing what it was I open it and my tears came rolling down, my best friend’s daughter who I love and adore very much got me the book set for Christmas (She must has tired of listening to me talking about Twilight a million of times :lol: ), needless to say I was screaming with joy. Moreover, the saga begin, I am now completely obsessed with the series and went back to see the movie 2 more times. Stephenie Meyer’s books got me to start reading in English and Twilight saga is exactly my brand of heroin… :lol:

Look after my heart — I’ve left it with you.~
Edward

If I had my way, I would spend the majority of my time kissing Edward.~
Bella
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by edward4ever »

ECLover wrote:Hmm… where to begin? I always been really into Sci-Fi, fantasy movies and TV series, such as Supernatural, Moonlight (Too bad it was cancelled), Ghost Whisperer, Charmed etc. I like reading books in Chinese (Chinese is my first language, so please excuse my bad spelling.. :oops: ) and again Sci-Fi and fantacy only. I never into reading book in English aside textbooks, so when my co-worker came to me one day telling me about Twilight movie and insisted that I should go watch it. I thought why not? I love movies! :D

Before all of this I have no cue Twilight was such a phenomenon, after I watched the movie I was left with wanted more and the only way to quench my thirst were the book, but I wasn’t sure I will get though reading another English book (I have try start reading Harry Potter, and Narnia but never finish any of it) Anyway I decided to stop by Barnes & Noble after fighting with myself unstoppable for a few days, I got there just to realize Twilight has saga and it’s has total of 4 books :P so here I go again thinking, deciding or fighting rather with myself whether to start and finish something or walk away and never think about it again. Well, I’m pound to say I’ve lost the battle :mrgreen: I shopped around and decided that I wanted the book set online from Amazon, but they were out of stock till February :| , I order it anyway thought I have patience to wait for it, but I was wrong…sooo wrong. 2 of my co-workers was reading the 1st book, after watching them I found myself in Barnes & Noble purchasing the cheaper paperback of Twilight that I can find just to tide me over till my book set arrive.

After the few chapters I was hooked, I found myself drawn into the world of Twilight and I can’t put my book down, at last I finished the book in less then 3 days but I was left with more crave, so I decided to cancel my order from Amazon then stop by Barnes & Noble before work to pick up New Moon. Just before I left for work the UPS deliver man drop a box off with my name on it, not knowing what it was I open it and my tears came rolling down, my best friend’s daughter who I love and adore very much got me the book set for Christmas (She must has tired of listening to me talking about Twilight a million of times :lol: ), needless to say I was screaming with joy. Moreover, the saga begin, I am now completely obsessed with the series and went back to see the movie 2 more times. Stephenie Meyer’s books got me to start reading in English and Twilight saga is exactly my brand of heroin… :lol:
What an awesome testament to this saga! Bridging the language barrier because you craved the story of Edward and Bella so much! That is incredible! Thank you for sharing that EClover! :D (I am quite the Edward Cullen lover myself!) ;)
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
Vanquish
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Melbourne, Australia...cruising with Edward in his Vanquish

Post by Vanquish »

I'm not much of a reader. Maybe because I hated reading all those books we had to in school for english and stuff. But last year was my last year of high school and heaps of my friends started talking about this book Twilight. I was like are they crazy!?!?!?! BOOKS?!??!?!?!?! Boy was I wrong. lol. So after my exams/finals I saw the ads for the Twilight movie and it got me intrigued. Well maybe RP got me more intrigued. :D So I went out and bought Twilight and I couldn't put it down. I was in love! lol. Then I went and got NM and E and read it in that same week. I was obsessed and it became the centre of the universe for me. Then I saw the movie and couldn't get enough of it. And just this weekend I bought BD because it just came into stock and I finished it in 2 days. But now I'm kinda sad....because it's over. However this has to be the best SERIES in the whole wide world. Nothing can beat this. And I will read it over and over again. I've read E a few times. I'm just goin over my fav parts of BD but I will re-read the whole series because I kind of feel a bit empty now. lol. It feels like I have nothing to do now. I can't even remember my life before I first read Twilight. But I'm so glad that the rest of the series will be turned into movies...so I'm not completely empty just yet. :) Oh and I can't wait for MS!
But a HUGE thanks to SM for writing these books. She's fantastic!

TEAM EDWARD
"For the first time in a century, I felt hope."
"I squared my shoulders and walked forward to meet my fate, with my destiny solidly at my side."
True believer in Cullenism.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

MoonBeam09 wrote:Just finished Breaking Dawn and I'm heartbroken, because it's over! I LOVED this saga... I know Stephenie has said she needs a break from vampires... but I really realy really hope she doesn't stop! There are so many characters that I have fallen in love with in this universe. I am so glad the world will keep going at least with the movies. Ack! I have never been so sad to see a book end. I wanted Breaking Dawn to go on forever... and people can say what they want about it, but I was so glad there was a happy ending! I hate how people feel like for something to be artistic it needs to be tragic - I love how SM really creates a fantasy world... and that means happy ending and all. Life can be cruel, I'm glad this world didn't play by the rules... I just can't say enough how much I really want to read more Twlight books... KEEP EM COMING SM!

PS I cried... anyone else feel really sad when it was over, because it was so good?
You have NO idea. I am starting my 14th time around after taking a very hard one month reprieve from this saga. I hope, hope, hope I never, ever, ever get tired of these wonderful books.

In them, I can lose myself and live vicariously through the characters. My life is very intense as it is and I NEED these books. Yea!!! for my happy ending too!!
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

While I resisted at first, I am sooooo glad I finally gave in. Let me back up just a minute to say that I have been a bookworm from the moment I learned to read, which was very early in life, just after I turned 4. As the story goes, I brought a book out to my dad and told him he didn't have to read me my bed time story because I could read it myself. He asked me to show him. So I opened up and started reading. Since it was one of my favorite stories, he thought I had just memorized the story. He pulle dout a different book, one of my brother's, and I read to him. I was hooked from that moment, the moment I realized I could go so many places in my head. Anyway, I have always loved fantasy/sci-fi novels. Since 1998, Harry Potter and his band of misfit teens have been my happy companions. That's where Twilight comes in...

I hadn't even heard of Twilight until summer of 2007, when Eclipse knocked Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows off of the best sellers list. How could such a thing have happened. This trifle of sappy ya schmaltz push aside the epic ending of one of the greatest stories ever printed. You've got to be kidding me. Maybe I was just getting too old, out of touch. I was almost 30 after all. Maybe this was turning into a kids game. But, I stubbornly refused to even look and see what the fuss was about. I am a Buffy zealot, so what could this new vampire romance do but bastardize the fantastic and unbeatable original.? If only I'd given in sooner....

So, fast forward to August 2008. My husband and I are out for date night, for once browsing Borders free of the interuption of child requests. It so happens to be the midnight release party for Breaking Dawn. I was definitely intrigued. We had gone to the last three HP release parties, and the fervor seemed fairly similar. "Ach! Not this again!" I said to myself. But, I had to listen to all of these people talk about these characters that they loved so much...Edward....Bella....Alice...Jasper...Jake. I watched two women, relatively close to my own age even...get into a shouting match of Edward vs Jacob, each passionately defending their hero. Hmmm...well, a book that inspires this kind of passion has to have something. So, I gave in. I purchased Twilight. As I handed over my cash that night, the clerk behind the counter looked at me. "Welcome to the dark side," she said with a wink. "You'll like it here."

Unfortunately, it wasn't until a business trip late in September that I got to really read Twilight. Wow!!! Stephanie's characters were so compelling, so real. I was so caught up that I finished the book on the 2nd night, staying up until 4 am because I could not put it down. I was officially hooked. Unfortunately, life intervenes at the most inconvenient times. I was desperate to read the rest. But, that's crazy time for my job and I had absolutely no free time at all. That was also when I started hearing talk about the movie. I resolved that I would not see the movie until I had at least finished the series. I wanted to be able to judge it as a true comparison.

And, so, as I left my house for a well-earned Thanksgiving trip, I stopped at Borders and picked up New Moon and Eclipse (the didn't have any copies of Breaking Dawn) I finished them in three days, and I was overwhelmed. In my head, I was warring; Jacob vs Edward, Edward vs Jacob. How on gods' green could this be resolved. I was torn. And, this just so happened to coincide with some personal rough times. It was a relief to have a place to go where my reality seemed so inconsequential. But, I had to know how it ended!!! So, it was back to Borders. I was 400 pages in by the time we reached home, and I absolutely refused to stop until I finished. At 4 am that next morning, I read, "The End" and I was in tears. Partly because I was so happy for Edward & Bella and the family. And, partly because I was grieving that it was gone. I slept for a few hours, had a cup of coffee and immediately pulled out Twilight again.

I am starting my 5th read through the series, and am no less amazed or moved. Each time, there are all these little details that make themselves clear to me. And now, my husband and oldest son both are along for a ride. After watching Twilight move me the way it did, my husband secretly borrowed my copy, just to see what I was so enthralled in. He quickly finished the rest of the story, and he and I often sit together at night just talking about different aspects of the story. My oldest son, 11, is also quickly approaching TwiGuy status. He was ecstatic yesterday when I took advantage of the snow day home from school, and took him to the library to get New Moon, so he could continue his learning.

I can put it no better than my friend, Navarre;

navarre wrote:In them, I can lose myself and live vicariously through the characters. My life is very intense as it is and I NEED these books. Yea!!! for my happy ending too!!
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
LionKilledTheLamb
Settled in Forks

Post by LionKilledTheLamb »

Where to begin... I saw the hype and decided to give it a chance. I was highly disappointed in the entire series. I read all four books cover to cover and found nothing redeeming about them. The chatacters are one-dimensional, Bella is a Mary Sue, Edward is a rapist and abusive, Jacob was the only character that actually developed and had personality but he ended up being something completely disappointing, there were hundreds of plot holes and spelling errors, the dialogue was painfully verbose, there was absolutely nothing that wasn't predictable, Meyer did almost no research on any of her topics, and the entire series is covered with anti-feminist ideas. Now, I'd be delighted to chat with some intelligent fans of the series and compare notes (which is why I joined this site when I am clearly not a fan), but I have a feeling I am only going to get hate-mail.