Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Worlds

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

Mrs. Emmett Cullen wrote:I thought the one that sounded the most interesting was the bats. Flying, whoo! That must be fun. I also wonder how they establish their different names, though. Like, 'Fords Deep Waters'. What planet did he get that name from?
I'm not sure about Fords. The See Weeds, maybe, as they spent their life underwater?
I agree about the Bats. They sound the most fascinating to me; definitely where I'd want to be sent if I had to leave Earth. Communicating solely through music would be so amazing.

I think the worst thing about it all would be the travelling; taking a hundred years floating through space to get to a next planet seems so tedious. Though I suppose they wouldn't notice the time flying...
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

I want to be on the planet of the bats!! that sounds so awesome!!!!
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

I don't think any of the worlds described sounded particularly appealing. Save for Earth, of course. But that's probably because I value my senses and my thought processes. And... I kind of like being on the top of the food chain, heh.

I did kind of wonder though why the other worlds didn't seem to have nearly as many co-existing species as we do. The most I ever remember mentioned was two or three, whereas on Earth we have about a bazillion or so.

Also, did you ever wonder why the souls only came after the humans? Were there souls put in cats and dogs, do you think? Meh, I suppose that wouldn't be necessary if their sole purpose for invading was to make the world a better place. Which kind of makes me wonder why they didn't possess the evil fire beast things. Weren't they eating poor flowers or something? Violence! They should have inserted themselves into the fire beasts and had them figured out a better way to eat. Same for the Claw Beasts.

Did it ever mention how the souls got the idea that they had a right to force their morals on every other species in the Universe? And how the little wormy things even got off of their planet in the first place?
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

Black wrote:Also, did you ever wonder why the souls only came after the humans? Were there souls put in cats and dogs, do you think? Meh, I suppose that wouldn't be necessary if their sole purpose for invading was to make the world a better place. Which kind of makes me wonder why they didn't possess the evil fire beast things. Weren't they eating poor flowers or something? Violence! They should have inserted themselves into the fire beasts and had them figured out a better way to eat. Same for the Claw Beasts.

Did it ever mention how the souls got the idea that they had a right to force their morals on every other species in the Universe? And how the little wormy things even got off of their planet in the first place?
Yeah, I think they figured there wasn't much point in making cats and dogs their hosts, because they wanted to make Earth peaceful, and it was humans wrecking it lol. And then I guess they didn't see the point in taking over cats and dogs once they'd taken over the humans, because humans are so much more advanced than the cats and dogs. At the top of the food chain, as you said, lol.

I think it said somewhere in the book that they were working on finding something else for the fire-flower-eater things. Because people thought it was barbaric, but they just hadn't yet found another food source; instead they'd done their best to make sure the flowers didn't suffer (didn't it say somewhere that the flowers used to be burned alive?). Which I guess you can make comparisons with humans eating animals, really...
And with the whole Claw Beast thing, Wanda said that they didn't have a very good intelligence span. So I guess it would be a little tricky to find another food source with little brain space :S

Little wormy things, lol. Yeah, Wanda told Doc, didn't she? That the Vultures discovered them, and the Souls took over them because they weren't nice; then they took over the planets that the Vultures had taken over. I guess whether they were right to do that is a different point; but there's a kind of logic in wanting to make things better, I think.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

Yea, I'm rereading the book (wtf lol) and I just read the part about the fire things. But I still don't know how the souls knew that they could insert themselves into hosts or how to perform the procedure- or even how they did it before they had hands/fingers. Will I read about that too?
slightlyobsessed
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: Joining a 15-Step Program for those who make unseemly comments on Rob Pattinson's Thread...

Post by slightlyobsessed »

That's a very good question, Black, and one I've been wondering myself for a while.

How DID the Souls get into the bodies without hands? I mean, even when it was just the vultures they were inhabiting? How did they discover the process? How did they perform the surgery without the dexterity necessary for a potentially dangerous operation?

And right before they inhabited the first human, how did they figure out the best method for implantation?

I wonder if SM is going to share the answers with us at some point.
ImageImage
OFFICIAL ROBNAPPER LEGAL REPRESENTATION
APPC: Shopaholic
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

So I'm not going to be getting an answer? Great.
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Post by threethings »

Black wrote:So I'm not going to be getting an answer? Great.
I'm sorry you didn't get an answer Black. There's also a "host Q&A" thread, future questions might be answered quicker over there.

I don't think you read about that. But my answer to that would be, that's their life, that's what they're born to do.
It's like we know how to do stuff just naturally, so do they.
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

I'm not blaming any of you for not being able to provide an answer. I'm blaming the book! >= /
Because apparently it's not in there?
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Post by threethings »

Black wrote:I'm not blaming any of you for not being able to provide an answer. I'm blaming the book! >= /
Because apparently it's not in there?
I don't think so. I read it a while ago though, so maybe. . . .
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage