Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
porscheturbo911
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Post by porscheturbo911 »

*Bloodlust* wrote:
There were so many times that I was caught off guard because I was so sure Bella was right on her assessment on Edward and then BOOM! We find out she couldn't be farther off mark[Twilight was right next to me at ALL times for reference ;) ]. His mind works in strange ways.
That's so true! His mind does work in strange ways :P!
For me, the one thing that took me by complete surprise and I would never have guessed was Edward's insecurity. We knew he thought of himself as a monster, but it was more "I'm condemned to this inhuman, half-life and that's what makes me a monster." His real insecurites spell from so much deeper than that. He couldn't even fathom that Bella's heartrate sped up because she found him attractive! Literally, he had no idea just how into him Bella was.
That shocked me so much. It was so funny because he honestly didn't know that he was attractive! It was also shocking how in love he was with Bella. I never thought that he would fall in love with her that fast.
Another thing I wasn't expecting was his humour. Truly, Edward Cullen is a funny, HILARIOUS vampire-man. His mind, so dark and brooding, is quite possibly the most entertaining place to be. He's sarcastic! Something that wasn't to be expected. He comes up with the quickest retorts, but half the time keeps them to himself. He's just so...amusing! I LOVE LOVE LOVE when he's questioning Bella's sanity and contemplating taking her to a mental hospital. That's just beyond funny.
You just took the words out of my mouth XD! I could not stop laughing at certain parts of MS. My brother would stare at me strangely, and all I could do was giggle to myself!
I always thought when he watched her sleep(before she knew about it) that he simply watched her from her window. I didn't imagine he actually sat down in the room AND explored the house!
Me too! I had no idea he actually watched her from inside her room!
The bottlecap was another thing I found humourus. At first I thought..."creepy" but then it really was just sweet. Strange, but sweet.
I thought that was the cutest thing ever! That was one of the things that made me love Edward all the more! :D
sunny
Settled in Forks

Post by sunny »

The draft was FASCINATING, even in its raw form. It was amazing—clear evidence of Stephenie’s increasing technical skill to accompany her phenomenal storytelling gift. It promises to be as good as Breaking Dawn, or even better. It illustrates how good at writing Stephenie was even when she wrote Twilight. Because she makes us agree with her narrator, even if we know better.

We see it most clearly in The Host. She shows us a parasitic, self-righteous, expansionistic society of alien worms, who have nearly destroyed the whole human family. And then she makes us love them. It is blatant skill in The Host. It is subtler in the Twilight series.

We have, in Midnight Sun, a completely different, yet internally consistent, view of the character we know best, the narrator of hundreds and hundreds of pages.

Even those of us who recognize that a teenager moving away from a place she loves so her mother can be happier must be selfless—even those who know that she shows qualities of kindness, maturity, independence, love—have a difficult time really appreciating Bella. Because she doesn’t appreciate herself.

Stephenie wanted Midnight Sun to explain Edward to the world, but we already know him. We know his real value. We have seen him for who he is, who Carlisle knows he is, who Bella knows he is, and who Jacob finally admits he is. We don’t really need Edward’s internal thoughts and feelings to explain who he is. After all, he doesn’t see himself any more clearly than Bella does.

What we all needed was an explanation of why Edward fell for Bella, what makes her so special, why he loves her. And the amazing thing is that he loves her for all the qualities that were already there, but that she doesn’t value about herself.

Midnight Sun, the partial draft, leaves me wanting more. More Edward, and Alice, and Carlisle, and Rosalie, and Emmet (Stephenie gives him the funniest line in the book. “She lives in Forks, remember? So she gets rained on.”) More of the real Charlie, the real Bella, and more of the love Edward feels for Bella, which is surprising in its scope, its timing, and its intensity in this partial book. Not surprising in that it is unbelievable, or inconsistent with his words and actions in the other books. But surprising because Bella, herself, would be surprised.
leannia
Wandering Through Town

Post by leannia »

I think that since Stephenie said that these books are all about choices, I think that she should choose to be flattered and finish Midnight Sun. I thought it was wonderful. What an amazing writer to be able to pull this off. I hope that this is just a knee-jerk reaction and that she will soon be able to think rational about this. I would truly love to have all four books from Edward's perspective.

I loved the part where he was seriously wondering if Bella needed to be comitted to a mental hospital...
I loved how he described how the angel put together his perfect girl just for him...
I loved his list of character traits that he loved about Bella...

I thought it was absolutely wonderful and I hope she will choose to see this breach of copywright as adoration for her wonderful stories and her ability to tell them well and decide to finish Midnight Sun. I was sooo looking forward to reading it next fall. I wish I knew how to e-mail her so I could beg her to finish the story and not let this breach ruin something wonderful.
Monica
Settled in Forks

Post by Monica »

What I love about Midnight Sun is that even in it's raw and unedited form, it is still...beautiful, heartfelt. It doesn't feel like it's a crappy rough draft. It feels like the real thing to me. Like I'm reading an online book.

My favorite points/quotes:
-how Edward goes from being the responsible one to letting love take him over and soften him
-you see that he doesn't know exactly what to say to Bella. In Twilight, it seemed like he was just spitting out the perfect lines to her as if he'd practiced them in the mirror or something. But MS proves that he was just as nervous around Bella as Bella as around him.
-it makes Edward more human
-“Why won’t you leave me alone?”
Believe me, I wanted to say. I’ve tried.
Oh, and also, I’m wretchedly in love with you. pg 112
-It bothered me some, though, the way she saw Bella. Rosalie actually thought the
girl was plain. How could she believe that? pg 147
-I wanted so badly to race across
the campus, too fast for human eyes, and snatch her up—to steal her away from the boy
that I hated so much in this moment I could have kill him and enjoyed it. pg 158

Sorry about the long post...but yeah. If only the meadow scene was availble, even though I'd rather read the book as a whole. But I trust Stephenie and respect every decision she makes. As well as feel sorry for the low blow. But that's not what this forum is about...

So yup. There's my view.
Bobbi
Settled in Forks

Post by Bobbi »

xjuliatm wrote:i was wondering if anyone caught what alice's vision was at the end when she said its the same meadow and edward, i love her, edward
i dont know, maybe im just slow, or do we not know what her saw yet?
Alice had seen three possible outcomes: Bella staying human, Bella as a vampire, and Bella dead. Apparently the vision of Bella being dead had occurred in the meadow. Alice saying "I love her, Edward," was her telling Edward not to let that happen. At least, that's my understanding.
xjuliatm
Settled in Forks

Post by xjuliatm »

Bobbi wrote:
xjuliatm wrote:i was wondering if anyone caught what alice's vision was at the end when she said its the same meadow and edward, i love her, edward
Alice had seen three possible outcomes: Bella staying human, Bella as a vampire, and Bella dead. Apparently the vision of Bella being dead had occurred in the meadow. Alice saying "I love her, Edward," was her telling Edward not to let that happen. At least, that's my understanding.
is that what u think or is that like what it is?
cause like we actually dont know yet right? cause edward keeps pushing it away, so basically if SM continues to write it then we will find out what the vision was about right?
sorry does that make sense?
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

Bobbi wrote:
I think this is exactly right. Alice saw that the meadow would be the deciding factor of their relationship. Either Edward would kill her, or he wouldn't. Alice was just letting him no he HAD to make the right decision.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
Breathe Bella
Settled in Forks

Post by Breathe Bella »

I saw it the same as Bobbi. We do know that Alice had these flashes of the 3 outcomes but that they weren't clear. Because Edward was not clear on how to proceed with his relationship with Bella. But when the plans firmed up for not going to Seattle, but instead spending the day together Alice's vision was firming up. You need to remember in Twilight that the meadow scene was crucial in that it was where Edward decided that he was strong enough to not kill Bella, so until that moment Alice would still be having visions with negative outcomes for Bella.

Well I finally broke down and read the draft on Stephenie's site and WOW. I even went straight back to the beginning and read it again - staying up all night and thus making me a really tired and cranky mum. But it was just too brilliant to have all the gaps filled in on Edwards behalf. And the Cullens - what a joy it is reading about the interactions and getting full insight into their existence. The humour in those 12 chapters was also something I adored, because I'm sure I saw a lot more humour - no matter how dark it seemed sometimes - than others did in the preceeding 4 novels. And to have Stephenie confirm this with these versions of events makes me a truly happy reader.

Please don't let the wretched souls that violated your rights ruin the chance for this wonderful story to be told Stephenie. You have created the most exciting, honest, loving, humourous and truly breath taking 'other world' with the Twilgiht saga and I don't want to leave it. I don't want it to end, not when I know that this is sitting there waiting to be told.
bwaywriter
Settled in Forks

Post by bwaywriter »

http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=74123635260

Please join that group to petition the completion of Midnight Sun and show love and support for Stephenie!
sunny
Settled in Forks

Alice's visions

Post by sunny »

There weren't three options. There were only two--Edward killing Bella in a meadow, and Bella being a vampire. Alice's vision of herself and a human Bella as friends isn't one of the ultimate endings of the story, it's a vision of some time in the next few days. Alice is happily looking forward to her friendship.

Edward wants to change the future, and construct a third possible future, where Bella lives out her life as a human, and he stays with her. But when Alice sees him decide to take Bella to the meadow, instead of to Seattle, she recognizes the meadow from Bella's death scene, and panics. The time for Edward to decide between Bella's fates is coming soon, and she might miss out on her human friend.

I wonder what Edward's reaction is when his tightrope between two bad options becomes a desperate attempt to avoid the inevitable. Poor Edward.