Twilight Speculation thread

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Re: Twilight Speculation thread

Post by SenorGimp »

New question:
How would the story have progressed differently had Jacob assumed his role as Alpha right from the start?
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

SenorGimp wrote:New question:
How would the story have progressed differently had Jacob assumed his role as Alpha right from the start?
SenorGimp, let me reciprocate the holy crap!! God, this is one that really requires some serious thought. And, there are so many factors that could change one seemingly insignificant thing, but derail the whole saga.
Okay, Let me first explain that, in answering this question, I am assuming that you mean he takes the Alpha role over from Sam as soon as he phases for the first time. So, from there, I don't think Jacob being Alpha would have effected the events in NM at all, with the exception that he and Bella would never have had the confrontation stemming from his not being able to tell her what he was. As alpha, he would have overruled the taboo so he could explain to Bella what is going on. But, other than that, all pretty much the same.
As for Eclipse, I think that would have been relatively similar, as well, as far as major events. Jacob would still elect to protect Bella at LaPush, giving her those experiences. He still would have had the pack join with the Cullens to fight the newborns. I think my first major conflict would be whether or not Jacob ends up camping with Bella and Edward, thus kicking off everyone's favorite chapter, and all that follows it. Would Jacob have been able to put aside his desire to care for Bella to take the command position with his pack during the battle? I'm just not sure. I really can't seperate the two halves of Jacob; the one with responsibilities to his pack and the one who is so desperate to be with Bella.
The first major difference I see is in BD, and it would likely change the entire outcome of the saga. First and foremost, would Jacob have disappeared at the end of Eclipse? I don't know. Again, alpha Jacob may not have been able to leave due to his pack responsibilities. But, 16 year old heartbroken Jacob literally had to leave for the sake of his sanity. So, let's go with the theory that everything is essentially the same up until the wedding. When Jacob shows up at the wedding. Here is where everything goes haywire. While Jacob is having his moment with Bella and they discuss the honeymoon, Sam isn't there to force Jacob to calm and to leave. So, maybe, just maybe, Jake goes wolf right there and trashes the reception, going after Edward. Here's a big showdown and I can't say who wins, who loses or how many are hurt.
But, for argument's sake, and because we know from Jacob's book in BD, that he literally couldn't phase because Bella was right there and he didn't want to hurt her, let's say that he's able to walk away. Bella and Edward have their wonderful reception, head to Isle Esme, conceive Renesmee and return home with their cover of Bella having picked up some rare tropical disease.
Without a shadow of a doubt, Jacob leads the attack on the Cullens as soon as Seth tells him Edward & Bella are back with their What does a rooster have to do with this?-and-bull cover story. There is no recon mission for him to find out the truth, no opportunity for him to see Bella to find out the truth, none of that. The pack attacks. The Cullens defend. I can't even begin to think about who does and doesn't make it. Maybe it goes best case scenario, and Jacob sees Bella before there is too much carnage and he calls off the attack with just a few injured. But, Bella would still never forgive him I think after that. You know Edward wouldn't. But, let's go all the way, worst case scenario. Jacob goes for Edward. Edward reacts instinctively. Bella, as she always does, tries to put herself between them and ends up hurt or...gulp...dead. I can't even go any further. No matter way you slice it, the story does not end nearly as happily.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

Yeah, I was thinking much along those same lines, but thank you for actually iterating it (holy crap, i didn't even know that iterate was actually a root for reiterate, until the spellchecker failed to put a red squiggly line under it) for me, I prefer to have others validate my opinions prior to actually stating my opinions, that way I know they weren't swayed by my amazing persuasiveness.. lol
:D
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

What if Renee and Charlie had gotten back together??
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

sarah! wrote:What if Renee and Charlie had gotten back together??
Sarah!, totally depends on when they got back together. Do you mean Bella moves back to Forks because Rnee and Charlie have gotten back together and, therefore, Renee is there throughout the story? Or, say the emotion of the wedding and then Bella's "illness" reunites them behind their daughter? The when would definitely change the what.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

yes depends on the when..
if it were from the beginning of the series, I imagine Bella wouldn't have gotten away with having Edward in her room every night, because renee seems like the type of person who is very worried and overprotective of her daughter, even though she doesn't really know how to show it...
Bella wouldn't have been lured to her ballet studio by James, because he would have just kidnapped Renee for real, thus lending actual credence to his threat to her life...
Actually, James may never have met Bella, because Renee might have been a bit more suspicious of Edward than Charlie was, and might have told Bella that she couldn't go out..
Actually, scratch that, she probably wouldn't have minded...
Hmmm, well Edward might not develop his opinion of Bella as being such a martyr, since she wouldn't have moved to Forks to give her mom time to be with Phil, just because her mom moved back in with her dad, and Bella couldn't stay in Phoenix by herself..
I don't suppose Bella would have been quite as able to find the Vampires A-Z site either, since she only had the crappy lowspeed internet connection so she could stay in touch with her mom.
You know what, I'm just going to wait for the timeframe to be clarified, because this could go on forever, and it might be in response to a different scenario entirely..
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Question:

Why do you think werewolves can't have quantifable supernatural abilities like vampires can?
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

I'm not entirely sure on that one, but I'll wager a guess.
Werewolves are not as fully a part of the supernatural world as Vampires, and therefore don't necessarily require such a quantifiable talent, because, to put it simply, werewolves are not necessarily resigned to the fate of being a werewolf (shape-shifter) forever, as they can go back to being normal humans when the Vampire threat in their area is no longer pressing, whereas Vampires are Vampires for all of eternity, or however long they live, and therefore would not have to worry about returning to humanity and the issues of giving up such a talent that that would entail.
Also, maybe it has something to do with the fact that Vampires have an extra chromosome compared to werewolves, the only flaw in that reasoning being that Renesmee has only 24 chromosomes, and also has a quantifiable supernatural talent, so I think my first explanation fits a bit better, but that might be totally wrong too.
Or maybe it's the fact that the werewolves (shape-shifters) are basically as strong as Vampires when in their human form (witness Bella breaking her hand on Jacob's human face), so the very fact that they can phase at all could, conceivably be considered a quantifiable supernatural talent...
I don't know...
Jazz Girl, help me out here! :!:
Nerd
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Nerd »

I agree a lot with what SenorGimp posted. They get to shift back into humans at the end of the day. I think that's the determining factor. Aside from being stronger, taller, and more built, their human body can only handle so much.

I think the vampires get that extra kick, though, because they're re-programmed into being the perfect predators.
Skank Bale Image Let's roll! | Klutzy Chanteus | Official member of the Dork Squad
Visit here & here DAILY to donate to my city! | Thoughts of a Twi-hard: A Blog of Rants
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

SenorGimp wrote:I'm not entirely sure on that one, but I'll wager a guess.
Werewolves are not as fully a part of the supernatural world as Vampires, and therefore don't necessarily require such a quantifiable talent, because, to put it simply, werewolves are not necessarily resigned to the fate of being a werewolf (shape-shifter) forever, as they can go back to being normal humans when the Vampire threat in their area is no longer pressing, whereas Vampires are Vampires for all of eternity, or however long they live, and therefore would not have to worry about returning to humanity and the issues of giving up such a talent that that would entail.
Also, maybe it has something to do with the fact that Vampires have an extra chromosome compared to werewolves, the only flaw in that reasoning being that Renesmee has only 24 chromosomes, and also has a quantifiable supernatural talent, so I think my first explanation fits a bit better, but that might be totally wrong too.
Or maybe it's the fact that the werewolves (shape-shifters) are basically as strong as Vampires when in their human form (witness Bella breaking her hand on Jacob's human face), so the very fact that they can phase at all could, conceivably be considered a quantifiable supernatural talent...
I don't know...
Jazz Girl, help me out here! :!:
SenorGimp don't despair..I think your answer is actually right in that sense. But I would love to hear Jazz Girl's response. I love hearing you novel posters so go back and forth! :lol: