Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Melanie

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

Melanie is my favourite part of The Host. I definitely think she's a role model - a little short-tempered and violence prone lol, her flaws just make her even more likeable to me; she's strong minded and strong-willed, and her determination to keep Jamie and Jared safe was really touching.
I found it really amazing that she grew to trust Wanda, even though Wanda was everything that she ever despised. I thought it showed real growth in her character; proved by the ending, going all out to make sure Wanda came back.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
Imprinted-2912
Settled in Forks

Post by Imprinted-2912 »

Melanie would have to be one of my favourite characters in the book. It was seriously scary when Wanda couldnt find her in her head...Melanie kinda reminds me of Leah in twilight, sarcastic and a little bit bitter, having to watch the person you love touch and be with someone else. Sam with Emily for Leah and Jared with Wanda for Melanie. I felt so sorry for Mel being stuck in her head and not being able to control her body, and I was so happy when she was finally able to gain back control.
“ Oh my God I just had a dirty dream about you and your brothers!! My eyes...Edward my eyes.,...ew Jasper...oh god I took off his shirt and Emmett...ugh I can't even say what happened there! Ew...” - Bella

Family Therapy Cullen Style by vgjm
Kayla-Bayla
Settled in Forks

Post by Kayla-Bayla »

I have to admit that I spent the better half of my time reading The Host - waiting for more Melanie moments. To me, she just was more compelling than Wanda. I loved her strength and determination and her love for her close ones. I don't know what I would do if some other being in my body fell in love with my other half. GAH! I probably would have killed myself just to stop the torment. Especially if my other half was Jared. 8-)
ImageImage
addictedbooklover
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by addictedbooklover »

I like Mel for how she treats Wanda once she gets to know her, and how she's tough and fights for those she loves, and how she copes with Ian loving Wanda. I think it's good that she ends up with Jared, but I loved the Ian/Jared rivalry.

Team Jacethper! (Jacob, Seth and Jasper) Now, to fit Leah in there...

Thanks Cocoa for the banner :D

mikkib
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by mikkib »

i I liked Mel most of the time. I liked her when it was just her and Wanderer later in the book. I liked her strength but I thought she was really unfair to Wanderer about the "love triangle" thing. I mean, what did she want Wanderer to do? Either, she could be with Jared and know that it was Mel Jared really wanted and accept that. I mean, she doesn't get to control the body, but she experiences it, right? Better than nothing. Or, she wanted Wanderer to be with someone else, thus Jared not cheating. She didn't know it was possible to get her body back during this time and chose to make them all miserable. I think I would have liked her better if she could have dealt with Wanderer with one of the two guys. By this time, she knew what sort of good person Wanderer was and I think she could have cut her SOME slack. This part of the book felt very Bella/Jake. There wasn't an easy answer so she chose to make everyone involved miserable.
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

Trust the host? Melanie was the host.
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
TeamEdward1628
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamEdward1628 »

I love Melanie and Wanderer together. I only wish we could have switched to Melanie's point of view at the end of the novel. I know we were supposed to know what she felt all along through the Wanderer, but I wanted to hear her thoughts when she finally got to be with Jared. I guess Stephenie wanted us to use our imaginations. I did. Stephenie has the power to leave haunting story in your head. I thought about Melanie and Jared long after I finished reading this book.
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

I think Melanie is a really strong character. She can be short-tempered or unreasonable sometimes, but she has many good points as well. She would stop at nothing to protect Jamie or Jared, she comes to be friendly with Wanda, and she helps her and they become like sisters. I liked how they would 'say' things to each other in their thoughts. At the end she was surprising, choosing for Wanda to stay in her body instead of going out of her body, giving Mel her life back. She has a happy ending, which I think she deserves.
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy