General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
twilightsagaaddict
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #3

Post by twilightsagaaddict »

I have a question about Eclipse~ when Edward is taunting Victoria and she sees Seth, Edward says to her "Is he really so much like the monster James tracked across Siberia?" (pg 548) what is Edward referring to? I've read it 3x and still am not sure.

Thanks! :)
Proud resident of Rob's Halfway House !!Image
Banner by TammyAZ
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

It was the first hint to the fact that the pack members weren't actually werewolves. Apparently James had encountered a real werewolf at some point and hunted it. Victoria saw Seth and thought about the creature James had tracked and Edward read her thoughts about it and then made that statement.
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

twilightsagaaddict wrote:I have a question about Eclipse~ when Edward is taunting Victoria and she sees Seth, Edward says to her "Is he really so much like the monster James tracked across Siberia?" (pg 548) what is Edward referring to? I've read it 3x and still am not sure.

Thanks! :)
Yeah, what roseaurora said. According to SM, James did encounter a true werewolf in Siberia and tracked it. This tells me that the 'Children of the Moon' and the wolves of LaPush must be very similiar in physical appearance.

Has anyone ever thought what would really happened if the werewolves and the Pack ever encountered each other?

Who would win that fight, I wonder. Hmmmmmm, interesting!!

Would a bite from a true werewolf on a Pack member kill them, turn them or have no effect whatsoever. I tend to think it would probably turn them to true werewolves, but then again it could be like vampire venom and be poisonous/lethal.

As Edward would say "Hmmmmmm."
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

navarre wrote:
Would a bite from a true werewolf on a Pack member kill them, turn them or have no effect whatsoever. I tend to think it would probably turn them to true werewolves, but then again it could be like vampire venom and be poisonous/lethal.

That is a great question and I have no idea what the true answer could be...although I tend to lean toward the idea that a true werewolf bite would be lethal to one of the pack members as a vampire bite would be.

I also have another couple of questions to add, and since I am new to the Lex, bear with me if it's already been asked...

I can't find where it is...which is super frustrating to me! But somewhere there is a part where Edward asks Bella if she'd like him to list for her all the suitors who'd be interested in taking his place in her life. He tells her that she'd probably guess some of the names on the list but she might be surprised by a few of them. Who do you think would be on the list?? Obviously there'd be Jacob and Mike Newton...and Eric and Tyler...but I can't think of any non-obvious names. It just made me curious...

My second question is...why didn't Alice see Bella in danger when Laurent met her in the meadow? I am assuming Alice could see that Laurent doesn't kill Bella but wouldn't the end result disappear since the wolves saved Bella just as Bella's future disappeared when Jacob saved her from drowning? What made Alice react to one and not the other? Just curious what other people's thoguhts on this was...

~Michelle

Thank you Naureen!!
navarre

Post by navarre »

fanMNM wrote:
navarre wrote:

That is a great question and I have no idea what the true answer could be...although I tend to lean toward the idea that a true werewolf bite would be lethal to one of the pack members as a vampire bite would be.

I also have another couple of questions to add, and since I am new to the Lex, bear with me if it's already been asked...

I can't find where it is...which is super frustrating to me! But somewhere there is a part where Edward asks Bella if she'd like him to list for her all the suitors who'd be interested in taking his place in her life. He tells her that she'd probably guess some of the names on the list but she might be surprised by a few of them. Who do you think would be on the list?? Obviously there'd be Jacob and Mike Newton...and Eric and Tyler...but I can't think of any non-obvious names. It just made me curious...

My second question is...why didn't Alice see Bella in danger when Laurent met her in the meadow? I am assuming Alice could see that Laurent doesn't kill Bella but wouldn't the end result disappear since the wolves saved Bella just as Bella's future disappeared when Jacob saved her from drowning? What made Alice react to one and not the other? Just curious what other people's thoguhts on this was...

~Michelle
The answer to your first question is in Eclipse - the chapter called "Compromise" I think. It is were Bella is staying the night and she and Edward are finally alone and she begins to bargain with him, so forth.

The second question, I think, is because Laurent was not looking for Bella so to speak he was actually hunting we he came upon her. Remember in Eclipse and Alice's visions were spotty because Victoria knew how to find her 'blind spots' by doing things that Alice could not anticipate. Something like that. Alice was looking for the obvious - and the non-obvious is a 'blind spot' for her. I hope that makes sense.
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

navarre wrote:
fanMNM wrote:

My second question is...why didn't Alice see Bella in danger when Laurent met her in the meadow? I am assuming Alice could see that Laurent doesn't kill Bella but wouldn't the end result disappear since the wolves saved Bella just as Bella's future disappeared when Jacob saved her from drowning? What made Alice react to one and not the other? Just curious what other people's thoughts on this was...
The answer to your first question is in Eclipse - the chapter called "Compromise" I think. It is were Bella is staying the night and she and Edward are finally alone and she begins to bargain with him, so forth.

The second question, I think, is because Laurent was not looking for Bella so to speak he was actually hunting we he came upon her. Remember in Eclipse and Alice's visions were spotty because Victoria knew how to find her 'blind spots' by doing things that Alice could not anticipate. Something like that. Alice was looking for the obvious - and the non-obvious is a 'blind spot' for her. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for pointing out where it was! I found it...page 445 of Eclipse :) Thanks! But I still can't think of anyone else's name Edward would put on a list of Bella's suitors that isn't obvious. Anyone have any ideas who he could be implying?

As to the second question...you could be right...Laurent may have been using the trick of changing his mind to confuse Alice, but I thought it seemed pretty clear his intent was to kill her. The wolves even explained, later in the book, that they waited to go after Laurent until they were sure he had the intention of killing Bella. So I would think Alice could have picked that up. I dunno...

Thank you Naureen!!
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

I just figured that Edward was talking about other boys at the school that were never actually mentioned in the books... or maybe it is the biology teacher! :shock: haha. J/k!

As to your second question, you are right, seems like Alice should have caught a flash of it as soon as he decided to kill Bella, but Alice isn't perfect with her gift. It could be that she was focusing on Edward at that time, or Jasper or something else. For whatever reason, she didn't see it. That's how I justified it to myself anyway, haha.

EDIT: shatarah's post below has a better explanation for the second part! I totally forgot the fact that Alice had promised not to look in on Bella. :oops:
Last edited by roseaurora on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
shatarah
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by shatarah »

fanMNM wrote:I can't find where it is...which is super frustrating to me! But somewhere there is a part where Edward asks Bella if she'd like him to list for her all the suitors who'd be interested in taking his place in her life. He tells her that she'd probably guess some of the names on the list but she might be surprised by a few of them. Who do you think would be on the list?? Obviously there'd be Jacob and Mike Newton...and Eric and Tyler...but I can't think of any non-obvious names. It just made me curious...
They're non-important names. People who more than likely did not really catch Bella's attention at school enough for her to remember (such as Lee). He'd never really met the La Push guys till much later and I doubt they'd be on that list. Only Edward would have really been aware of the others because of their thoughts.
My second question is...why didn't Alice see Bella in danger when Laurent met her in the meadow? I am assuming Alice could see that Laurent doesn't kill Bella but wouldn't the end result disappear since the wolves saved Bella just as Bella's future disappeared when Jacob saved her from drowning? What made Alice react to
Alice promised Edward she wouldn't look for Bella's future, so she did not see Laurent's meeting with Bella or her blurring out of sight. Alice told us this when she returned to mourn for Bella's loss.

There were probably other times that Alice would slip and see Bella's future, however she spent a good amount of time just being a virtual zombie there wasn't really much to see. When she wasn't a virtual zombie and was with Jacob so much of the time, she couldn't see accidental visions.

Why did she see Bella jump and then blur out? It's probably because she was visiting Tanya at the time and had thought of Bella (being so near to her then) and that put Bella back into her visions even if she might not have intended it. So she saw Bella jump and saw her disappear when Jacob became involved.
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Those are all great explanations...thanks so much!

I had forgotten about Alice's promise to stay out of Bella's future...and there are lots of possibilities as to why she picked up on the one of Bella jumping.

Thanks for giving me stuff to consider :)

~Michelle

Thank you Naureen!!
navarre

Post by navarre »

shatarah wrote:
fanMNM wrote:I can't find where it is...which is super frustrating to me! But somewhere there is a part where Edward asks Bella if she'd like him to list for her all the suitors who'd be interested in taking his place in her life. He tells her that she'd probably guess some of the names on the list but she might be surprised by a few of them. Who do you think would be on the list?? Obviously there'd be Jacob and Mike Newton...and Eric and Tyler...but I can't think of any non-obvious names. It just made me curious...
They're non-important names. People who more than likely did not really catch Bella's attention at school enough for her to remember (such as Lee). He'd never really met the La Push guys till much later and I doubt they'd be on that list. Only Edward would have really been aware of the others because of their thoughts.
My second question is...why didn't Alice see Bella in danger when Laurent met her in the meadow? I am assuming Alice could see that Laurent doesn't kill Bella but wouldn't the end result disappear since the wolves saved Bella just as Bella's future disappeared when Jacob saved her from drowning? What made Alice react to
Alice promised Edward she wouldn't look for Bella's future, so she did not see Laurent's meeting with Bella or her blurring out of sight. Alice told us this when she returned to mourn for Bella's loss.

There were probably other times that Alice would slip and see Bella's future, however she spent a good amount of time just being a virtual zombie there wasn't really much to see. When she wasn't a virtual zombie and was with Jacob so much of the time, she couldn't see accidental visions.

Why did she see Bella jump and then blur out? It's probably because she was visiting Tanya at the time and had thought of Bella (being so near to her then) and that put Bella back into her visions even if she might not have intended it. So she saw Bella jump and saw her disappear when Jacob became involved.
A thousand times better response than mine, shatarah!
It makes perfect sense.