General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Vampire Special Talents

Post by Lunna-san »

ringswraith wrote:So I wasn't sure where to post this, but since this is the thread about special talents...

Ok. Breaking Dawn, the chapter where Bella and Edward spend their first night in their new house (cottage, whichever you prefer). Bella asks him how the others do it, since they're up and about all day, fully clothed, in public... Basically asking how they deal with the desire. Edward laughingly tells her that she's only seen his family during the day, and that she's been sleeping nights. That there's a lot of time to do things when you don't need to sleep.

So, perhaps this is just me, but- this had me thinking.

Picture it. Every night, you have three pairs of couples who are most likely being very romantic. (I'm putting it mildly here.)

Every night. Three pairs of couples, all in the same house.

In the same house where one of them can read their minds. Every night.

(/waits for that to sink in.)

Now that you've thought about it- can you blame Edward for spending all his nights with Bella? :lol:
OMG! Poor Edward! :lol:

Seriously, I'm picturing Edward locked on his bedroom with those CDs like "Learn Portuguese in Three Stepts" really loud just to tuned off the err... noises. I don't know did he just went to the woods. Much better staying with Bella.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Okay. So it seems I've managed to derail this thread with my last couple of posts.

Not apologizing for that, but I hate to see a thread die, so...

For anyone who's read the posted version of Midnight Sun: (possible spoilers if you haven't read it) Edward discovers that Charlie's mind is somewhat shielded, just like Bella's. He can only pick up the tone of his thoughts.

From Breaking Dawn, Eleazar makes the comment about how Edward stumbles onto someone like Bella quite by happenstance, when he mentions that he's never been able to read her mind. I wonder- if Charlie were turned into a vampire, what ability do you think he'd have?
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

???I have no idea!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
wow, let me get back to you on that one.
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

Made you think! :lol:
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

The story that BuffyGrl3 and I wrote is finished and posted on fanfiction.net.
here's the link if anyone wants to read it:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4820154/1/The_Delajio
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
NZTwilighter
Settled in Forks

Post by NZTwilighter »

I think that if Charlie were to become a Vampire he would have a similar talent to Bella.

As his mind didnt completely block out Edward i would think he would have the watered down version of Bella's blocking, where she blocks everyone apart f(rom when she wants) maybe Charlie would only be able to block certain people? or only block when he is concentrating on it?

This has lead me to another question, if Charlie and Bella's talents would be similar due to what we asume is the fact that they are related, would this mean all blood related relatives (prior to their change) would have similar powers?

We saw with Jane and Alec that they have symetric talents of each other, one to cause pain the other to take it away, which could prove or disprove my theory however we would also need to consider the circumstance's in which they were changed - burning at the stake - which Edward ( i think ) tells us helped form their talents?

. . . BUT dont talents manifest from the moment they are born?

see here i am going around in circles confusing myself, sorry! but im interested in what everone else has to say about this?
I enjoy the cold, diamonds and hearthrobs.
Team Edward.
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

Ah, nature vs. nurture, vampire special talents edition...

Well another thought to throw out there is that Aro changed his sister because he thought if he had a power she might get one, too. She did, but Didyme's power, to carry an aura of happiness around her, was nothing like Aro's.
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

Just wanted to add: From the Personal Correspondence, I believe we learn that both Jane and Alec kind of refine their powers when they are burned at the stake. Jane learns to inflict that pain on others, while Alec learns to deaden sensation so as not to feel the pain.

If the relationship theory holds true, there's a lot of possibilities here. For example:

1. It would help explain Edward's mother's plea to Carlisle on her deathbed.
2. Alice's niece from her sister, who still lives, might have a talent as well.
3. The whole concept of Charlie's mind could be a latent talent.
NZTwilighter
Settled in Forks

Post by NZTwilighter »

Ooooooooooooooh ringswraith very interesting!

That could explain exactly why Edward mother told Carlisle to save her son!!!!
But why would she not want it for herself also?

who_needs_fangs also makes a very good point regarding Didyme and Aro - i cant think of a way that this could possibly fit with my theory so prehaps this dissproves it.
I enjoy the cold, diamonds and hearthrobs.
Team Edward.
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

NZTwilighter wrote:Ooooooooooooooh ringswraith very interesting!

That could explain exactly why Edward mother told Carlisle to save her son!!!!
But why would she not want it for herself also?

who_needs_fangs also makes a very good point regarding Didyme and Aro - i cant think of a way that this could possibly fit with my theory so prehaps this dissproves it.
Well, if you think of it this way:

Related people might have talents run in the blood (so to speak), but the talents don't have to be related at all. Perhaps they have a similar source, mode of operation, something along those lines- but they don't have to be near-identical.

I'm going to delve into my geeky side here, but let's take Marvel comic characters. The Fantastic Four, specifically. Mr. Fantastic can stretch. Invisible Woman turns invisible and projects invisible force fields. Their son has the ability to change reality- bit of a departure from stretching and invisibility. :)