Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
xjuliatm
Settled in Forks

Re: Alice's visions

Post by xjuliatm »

sunny wrote:There weren't three options. There were only two--Edward killing Bella in a meadow, and Bella being a vampire. Alice's vision of herself and a human Bella as friends isn't one of the ultimate endings of the story, it's a vision of some time in the next few days. Alice is happily looking forward to her friendship.

Edward wants to change the future, and construct a third possible future, where Bella lives out her life as a human, and he stays with her. But when Alice sees him decide to take Bella to the meadow, instead of to Seattle, she recognizes the meadow from Bella's death scene, and panics. The time for Edward to decide between Bella's fates is coming soon, and she might miss out on her human friend.

I wonder what Edward's reaction is when his tightrope between two bad options becomes a desperate attempt to avoid the inevitable. Poor Edward.
hmm... thats a way of seeing it, i didnt really think of that .. but these are all guesses right? we actually dont know what she saw yet, am i correct?
sunny
Settled in Forks

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Post by sunny »

I think we do know. He talks about the monster loving his even 50/50 chance of drinking Bella's blood. Which means their are only two ultimate endings to Alice's visions. What she didn't realize is that her friendship and love of Bella only get to happen if the vampire ending is chosen.
xjuliatm
Settled in Forks

Post by xjuliatm »

i think i gonna have to read those chapters again, lol
thanks for everyones opinion, they clears things up for me, esp. sunny, thanks a lot
SparklingDiamond
Wandering Through Town

Post by SparklingDiamond »

by childofthe80s on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:03 pm

I loved how insecure and vulnerable Edward was about the whole thing.
I was really struck by this as well. Reading from Bella's POV, he seemed so sure of himself. I loved reading how normally human his emotions were regarding Bella. It was wonderful to see the insecure side of Edward. This just made me love him all the more! One of my favorite scenes this far, I haven't finished yet, was when he was watching her sleep and she spoke his name. His joy just flew off of the page at me. Plus, reading from his POV has really changed my feelings of NM, when he chose to leave. I had always assumed that it was harder on Bella than it was on Edward. However, after reading what I've read of MS, I can't imagine the agony that Edward must have been going through in the moment that he left Bella alone in the woods. Plus, the torture that it must have been for him to hide his gifts for her under the floorboards of her bedroom. This just goes to show how great his love for her truly is. The fact that he could withstand such personal torment in order to, he thought anyway, better her chances at a normal human life.
Smitten
Settled in Forks

Post by Smitten »

I gave in and read it...

I loved hearing his side. How he interacts with his family...the conflict that exists with his choices. You really didnt see that before. How much he doubts...so many human traits. I didnt want the story to end. I am thankful for the small portion we have been given. Not thankful for the circumstances though.
Li'lBit
Wandering Through Town

Post by Li'lBit »

SparklingDiamond wrote:Plus, reading from his POV has really changed my feelings of NM, when he chose to leave. I had always assumed that it was harder on Bella than it was on Edward. However, after reading what I've read of MS, I can't imagine the agony that Edward must have been going through in the moment that he left Bella alone in the woods. Plus, the torture that it must have been for him to hide his gifts for her under the floorboards of her bedroom. This just goes to show how great his love for her truly is. The fact that he could withstand such personal torment in order to, he thought anyway, better her chances at a normal human life.
So true - and it made so much more sense that he left in New Moon as well, since he had been trying to convince himself all along that when he loved her enough he would be able to find the strength to do that.
"Sure, [snow] was drier than rain -- until it melted in your socks."
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

Possibly the Best Moment in Twilight/Midnight Sun....: "Bite me."

Who know Edward would EVER say anything like that? I LOVED it!! :D
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
MyEdward
Settled in Forks

Post by MyEdward »

I loved Midnight Sun. I knew from twilight that Edward really loved Bella. But i never realised how quickly and intensely he realised he loved her, I thought it was more of a gradual thing.

I was really disappointed that it stopped just before the meadow scene as i would love to see that scene from Edwards POV. I hope that one day the complete version of Midnight Sun is published. I think I would be heartbroken if it never came out.

I loved every single part of the 12 chapters. I loved how Edward was watching Bella all the time and she wasn't even aware :D
Do I DAZZLE you?
mandustries
Learning to Love Green

Post by mandustries »

SM did it again. I read the leaked chapters last night, and I couldn't stop. I prefer reading things in hard copy, but the chapters sucked me in just like the other books did. Strangely enough, everything seemed new through Edward's eyes. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I found myself wondering about and looking forward to seeing/reading the nuanced differences.

I think it was interesting to see how Edward saw himself as he essentially stalked Bella. He saw himself as creepy, but he was following a compulsion greater than his view of social rights and wrongs. The way he fell was irreversible; it reminded me all the more of imprinting. His world was altered, irrevocably, the first time he heard Bella say his name in her sleep.

Plus, Midnight Sun makes him so ... human. Jealousy, anxiety, worry, anger ... all these things are very human emotions. Ed's not perfect (although his imperfections make him even more perfect, right? :)) and even though he doesn't believe he has a soul, it's obviously there.

Wonderful. :D
Banner made by me! Avatar by LJ user lookingtoescape.
I'll never hear thunder the same way again.
Read *Jasper Lurks*--The writings of two Twilighters.
Psycho Psocko
Settled in Forks

Post by Psycho Psocko »

Midnight Sun turned out to be SO different than what I expected. Edward was my favourite character right from the start of the series. I always thought he was interesting, but I didn't think we were anything alike. But then I read what was actually going on up there and it was like SM was reading my mind as she wrote it! Of course the circumstances are different (DUH.:lol: ) but the way in which Edward's character worked through the problems (the constant mental battling, second-guessing himself, and never-ending flow of thought) is exactly the same as what I do. There was such a sense of. . .affirmation in reading the chapters. It's rare that I find someone (even if it is a fictional character) who I can identify with like that. It was just so cool to have that "You're like me!" moment. :D
Last edited by Psycho Psocko on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.