Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Edward Cullen #4

Post by Lunna-san »

Jazz Girl wrote:Ariadnee & Navarre, thanks for the kind words. I sometimes worry that my passion for certain issues gets the better of me. Thanks for backing me up. :)

Question Time:
What do you think life was like when it was just Carlisle and Edward?
I imagine a very quiet, lone house. At least, for Edward. Feeling bored stuck home all day, trying to keep himself busy, trying to controll his bloodlust and adjust to the diet.

What I think it bothered him the most it's the fact he knew he had great powers and he also had the ethics, so why couldn't he just go and drink from some bad guy, like a rapist or a thief? At the same time, he saw Carlisle and his motives, his ideals... he wanted to do the right thing.

Since it was just the two of them, as others had posted, I imagine them moving a lot, visiting the Denali Clan with a bit of frequency, but probably working to give them a comfort life.
Heart_in_Hand
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Heart_in_Hand »

Bluemoonlvr wrote:Okay Im new to the board.
I have a question you know that Edawrd said that he didnt always live with Carlisle. And that he lived on his own. When he was on his own was he a veggie? And maybe was this when Edward was a newborn?
We know that when Edward went off on his own it was a rebellion against the veggie diet. He hunted human's, but limited himself to bad people who were going to kill, rape, or otherwise attack innocent victims. While he justified his killing with the fact that he only killed bad people, he could not live with the monster he was seeing in himself, so he went back to Carlisle and Esme.
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

bite_me wrote:I think it makes sense for carlisle to go to denali, tanya and that would be able to help with the newborn edward, and it is in a remote place, so it would be easier.
Yes, I agree. I can see Carlisle seeking out the help of others who were similar in their hunting habits, more role models and more hands on deck to help him with an, at the very least, unpredictable newborn. But it does take the question back to a more basic level. What would Edward have been like as a newborn? Most posts I have read agree that the reason Bella was so controlled was her preparation and choice in the matter. We know Edward didn't have that, so would he have been as bloodthirsty, as savage as a typical newborn. We don't have much to go on, as even when Bella becomes a newborn, he doesn't talk much about his experiences. He only comments that he remembers well how difficult and disorienting it is, and that he remembers the raging thirst. I think we have to assume that he was pretty close to typical. But, being with Carlisle (and the Denali coven, if you accept that), he would have been at least exposed to the idea of feeding on animals vs humans, before he tasted human blood. So he would know there was an option. I also think his mind reading ability would help in tempering his bloodlust. Once he identified it for what it was, understood the source of the things he was hearing in his head, I think that Edward's inherently good nature would have at least tempered his thirst a little. Maybe he at least got through that difficult period a little faster, accepted the veggie lifestyle a little faster.
Carlisle's endless compassion and patience would really come in handy in dealing with a newborn. Ironic how Carlisle and Jasper would seem so similar in that role. But, especially once Carlisle identified Edward's gift, I can imagine it actually made things a little easier. EclipseRox, I don't know if I agree that Edward would have been angry with Carlisle. I think Carlisle would have told him immediately the entire story of his parents' deaths and Elizabeth Masen begging him to save her only son. Edward's love and respect for his mother, his understanding that she always wanted the best for him would have, IMO, at least tempered any anger he had over it. By no means do I think he just got over it, so to speak. There's a reason Edward sees himself as a monster, but I think that came later and out of his own doing. He recognized from the outset that Carlisle was trying to save him the only way he could. Plus, I think his experience of Carlisle's loneliness through his thoughts would help as well.
So, I see those early days as a mix of a struggle to help Edward through the newborn insanity, a tenative but constant journey towards respect and friendship, and tempered excitement of realizing that neither was alone in this strange world.

EclipseRox, you do bring up a fantastic question though, about Edward's initial feelings when Carlisle found Esme. We do know without any doubt that he his extremely close to his adopted mother. And, I think Edward, again particularly with his gift, would recognize the difference between Carlisle's need for a friend and companion and his need for a mate. Two very different things. But, I wonder if Edward's "teenaged rebellion" started when Carlisle turned Esme? If it was precisely that initial reaction you are talking about that precipitated it? Huh?

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:Jazz Girl...you astonish me. I loved that. Your post was the most amazing response I've ever read. Kudos to you! :)
Thanks. As I said to Ariadnee and Navarre, I sometimes fear that my passion gets away from me and annoys my friends here. It is nice to hear that it is appreciated by some. :)
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

:lol: That's nice to hear Jazz Girl. Well new Edward*swoon die* question:

How do you think Edward lived or managed himself alone when he was in his "rebellion" years?
Bluemoonlvr
Settled in Forks

Post by Bluemoonlvr »

I also give Kudos to Jazz girl your relpys are amazing!
Jay to the Nee Image
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I wonder about Edward's first hunt. If Carlisle was working in Chicago and bit Edward in his quarters, Edward would have been surrounded by humans when his transformation was complete--unless Carlisle carried him to a remote area while he burned--which would not have been a bad idea, because if Edward was screaming in pain for three days it would have been noticed--even in Chicago! In addition, Carlisle would have wanted him to be in a "safe" place when he turned him loose on his first hunt.

I'm not all that sure that Edward "missed" his parents when he emerged from the transformation. Bella talked about how murky her human memories were, and though I believe Edward's character indicates he was close to his parents, still . . . he was an older teen, and older teens (especially from that era) were typically ready to move on from their home life. That reality, combined with his new vampire mind and new imperative urges, convince me that explanations probably came later, after the "edge" of Edward's newborn madness wore off.

Edward stayed with Carlisle and Esme for a while before his "teenage rebellion." I think he was thrilled that Carlisle had found Esme. He didn't need constant attention from Carlisle and he wasn't emotionally lonely . . . yet. I don't think Edward felt the need for female companionship until he met Bella. I got the impression he was romantically untouched--which is why Esme was so concerned about him: he seemed unnaturally uninterested in the opposite sex. Edward would have felt the joy in Carlisle and Esme's minds, and that joy would have brought him happiness as well. I don't believe he was envious of what they had. I believe his rebellion was more about appetite than anything else. Edward had to discover his conscience for himself--just as we all do.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote::lol: That's nice to hear Jazz Girl. Well new Edward*swoon die* question:

How do you think Edward lived or managed himself alone when he was in his "rebellion" years?
I would say he had to be secluded. By the time he went out on his own, I believe he would have been better controlled. We know that it was about ten years after his 'birth' that he had his fit of rebellion, so I think he had control over his 'appetite'.

One thing I noted was that he recognized his own short-comings and that 'playing God' was wrong. He missed his family and instead of being anymore prideful ( convincing himself he did not need anyone), he went home and Carlisle and Esme welcomed him back; like the father to the prodigal son, they proved that their love for Edward was unconditional and forgiveness was abundant). Niiice!!!

That, to me, is a truly good family environment. imo. :)
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Awww, navarre like always excellent responses. Glad to see you online! :D
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:Awww, navarre like always excellent responses. Glad to see you online! :D

Back at ya, ma'am!!! ;) :D
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!

:D . Anyways...what do we discuss now?