Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Bluemoonlvr
Settled in Forks

Re: Edward Cullen #4

Post by Bluemoonlvr »

AHAH i love how off topic you guys are! And i also wish he was real. But the sad thing if you think about it is that he can only chose one of us.. Sadly.
Jay to the Nee Image
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

I had forgotten that Carlisle had lived with the Volturi, and thus, probably seen out of control newborns.

Jazz Girl-To clarify, I said Edward would wake up unhappy, possibly upset. I did not say angry. I really can't for the life of me picture Edward angry with Carlisle. I can't really picture anyone angry with Carlisle. He is so kind and compassionate. But, based on Edward's strong feelings about not changing Bella and strong belief that he was a monster, I can't imagine he was happy when he woke up and realized what he was.

I think Edward understood Carlisle's need for Esme, but that doesn't mean it didn't take him awhile to get used to the idea that it would no longer be just him and Carlisle. Obviously, Edward and Esme grew very close, possibly even closer than Edward is with Carlisle. I wonder if their connection was instantaneous. Esme wanted a child and was devastated that her baby boy had died. She wakes up and there's Edward-instant son. Or, did it take time for their close relationship to develop?
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Jazz Girl wrote:
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote::D . Anyways...what do we discuss now?
How about this;
Edward's self-control is often compared to Carlisle's. Do you agree that this is a justifiable comparison, given his "teenaged rebellion"?
No. There is no one who can compare to Carlisle. He is one of a kind. But Edward comes in a close second.
He had a great role model in his'father'.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
hrtwilight
Settled in Forks

Post by hrtwilight »

I have two questions that I have thought long and hard over and have not been able to come up with a clear answer to either.
#1. In NM when the Cullen's vote to turn Bella into a vampire Edward is furious. It says that when he and Bella returned to her house he paced back and fourth calculating, then that's when he asks Bella what she would want more than anything in the world, she says for him to change her, then he asks her what she would give in return for that right? So, what makes him finally willing to accept her turning into a vampire? What is his thought process? Why does he decide to give in? Also, do you think that before Bella even said anything about him being the one to change her that he had those same feelings? That he wanted to be the one to change her (that if she was going to be changed, he was going to be the one to do it?) I know that I am not wording this very clearly. I just have never quite had a grasp on how he goes from being so furious at the idea of her changing to not only accepting it but agreeing to be the one who does it.

#2. This question is not at all connected with the first. This is more of a curiousity question really. At the end of Eclipse, when Edward and Bella are at their meadow and Edward tells her that the deal is off and that he is ready to give into her demands, do you think that if Bella would not have been strong enough to stop him, and tell him no that they should wait to have sex that he really would have??? In other words, if she would have been willing at that time do you think he really would have? I am torn on this one, I keep waivering between yes and no. I would like to hear your thoughts before I give you mine.

P.S. I am sorry if these topics have already been discussed. I am new to this, forgive me please.
navarre

Post by navarre »

hrtwilight wrote:I have two questions that I have thought long and hard over and have not been able to come up with a clear answer to either.
#1. In NM when the Cullen's vote to turn Bella into a vampire Edward is furious. It says that when he and Bella returned to her house he paced back and fourth calculating, then that's when he asks Bella what she would want more than anything in the world, she says for him to change her, then he asks her what she would give in return for that right? So, what makes him finally willing to accept her turning into a vampire? What is his thought process? Why does he decide to give in? Also, do you think that before Bella even said anything about him being the one to change her that he had those same feelings? That he wanted to be the one to change her (that if she was going to be changed, he was going to be the one to do it?) I know that I am not wording this very clearly. I just have never quite had a grasp on how he goes from being so furious at the idea of her changing to not only accepting it but agreeing to be the one who does it.

#2. This question is not at all connected with the first. This is more of a curiousity question really. At the end of Eclipse, when Edward and Bella are at their meadow and Edward tells her that the deal is off and that he is ready to give into her demands, do you think that if Bella would not have been strong enough to stop him, and tell him no that they should wait to have sex that he really would have??? In other words, if she would have been willing at that time do you think he really would have? I am torn on this one, I keep waivering between yes and no. I would like to hear your thoughts before I give you mine.

P.S. I am sorry if these topics have already been discussed. I am new to this, forgive me please.
Don't apologize, these are great questions.

1) I think Edward knew that Bella had her mind set firmly and he could not change that, so in order to sweeten the pot for him, he gave her an alternative that would help him to get what he wanted - Bella as his wife and no other way out of it for her if she wanted HIM to do it. It was a huge concession for both.
Edward turning her and Bella marrying him.

2) This one is tougher for me. But I would love to think that he would stop himself before things got out of control, because of his core values and all. It would have been remarkable willpower for both to stop.
But he has resisted up to this point, so.....who knows.
amethyst
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by amethyst »

Jazz Girl wrote:How about this;
Edward's self-control is often compared to Carlisle's. Do you agree that this is a justifiable comparison, given his "teenaged rebellion"?
Yes and no . . .

Yes because it is implied as much in and out of the contents of the books. The part that it takes Edward every bit of strength to decline such a siren call (. . . la tua cantante) - that as Aro put in his own words “puts Carlisle to shame”. Mostly because at this half of the equation (equation = strength) Edward has to work harder than Carlisle to overcome such an overpowering scent that is supposed to lure out those vampiric instincts. Mind you, natural instincts . . . That, conceivably he has to fight against. Because you see, the difference is simple - to Edward, it was such a surprising, unanticipated, impulsive, unexpected siren call - so strong . . . unfathomable . . . And yet in that same moment he takes a sniff, it took him every bit of strength and some to overcome it, that day and everyday on. So yes, in some ways it does defies Carlisle’s strength.

No, because, Carlisle’s lust for human blood has deteriorated. He said he barely notices the smell anymore. However, in the context of the story, Carlisle IS generally stronger than Edward - so there is no comparison but to look at the equation piece my piece and analyze it - their strength are comparable and especially when you add in the Bella/siren call/la tua cantante incident.
"I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his. . . . . But, till then--if you don't believe me, you don't know me--till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!"
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

If we're talking about who has endured a more powerful thirst and come through it, Edward, if we're talking about overall ability in denying the thirst, and long-standing track record, Carlisle.
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
amethyst
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by amethyst »

Yes . . . But are strong and stronger (Edward and Carlisle) strengths’ comparable? Are they somewhat proportionate with each other. . . ? My opinion is yes. Mostly because the contents of the books said as much and mostly because we get constant implies that for Edward to be in close association with Bella, he needs more strength than Carlisle, that when Edward is in close association with Bella -- it takes him more strength than Carlisle and mostly because how those assumptions were actually proved true by Edward himself. Just my two cents.
"I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his. . . . . But, till then--if you don't believe me, you don't know me--till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!"
navarre

Post by navarre »

amethyst wrote:Yes . . . But are strong and stronger (Edward and Carlisle) strengths’ comparable? Are they somewhat proportionate with each other. . . ? My opinion is yes. Mostly because the contents of the books said as much and mostly because we get constant implies that for Edward to be in close association with Bella, he needs more strength than Carlisle, that when Edward is in close association with Bella -- it takes him more strength than Carlisle and mostly because how those assumptions were actually proved true by Edward himself. Just my two cents.
Excellent points, amethyst.

Oh, and your screen name is my birthstone and favorite color - purple. :D
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

My favorite color too!
Go purple! :lol:
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily