Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Post by ringswraith »

edward4ever wrote:3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
I'm not sure why this is a question for this chapter but...Yes, it's a learned behavior. I believe he learned it from his parents (Edward and Elizabeth). My opinion? :?: It is amazingly rewarding to ones soul to be generous, in everything.
Just to answer the first part of your response: It was when Edward explained that the island was named for Esme, because Carlisle gave it to her as a gift. Bella thinks about it:

A gift. Who gives an island as a gift? I frowned. I hadn't realized that Edward's extreme generosity was a learned behavior. (pg. 78, Breaking Dawn hardcover)
twilightsagaaddict
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by twilightsagaaddict »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
I didn't think Bella would be hurt, but the bruises didn't surprise me too much. I was VERY surprised about the pregancy-the fact that she was so tired and then so hungry (and I've had 3 kids, you'd think I would have caught on! :lol: )

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”
I think his reaction was typical Edward-he knew it was going to be diffcult, and took the blame all on himself; he really thought he had badly hurt her.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
Yes, I think it is a learned behavior, not only from his birth parents, but how generous and loving Carlisle and Esme are. (it also helps that they have more money than they know what to do with.. ;) )

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
I hoped he would falter! LOL! Especially when he saw how happy it made Bella-and that always seems to be his goal: to keep her happy.
Proud resident of Rob's Halfway House !!Image
Banner by TammyAZ
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
-I think I thought that Bella wouln't really get hurt, because Edward would be trying so hard not to hurt her in anyway.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”
-Edward wasn't trying to sour Bellas mood.He really thought he was a monster for bruising her and he was definetly justifiyed in expressing how he felt, even if wasn't what Bella wanted to hear.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
-Yes, I think that Edward learned to be generous because Carlisle is, but I'm not saying that Edward wouldn't still be somewhat generous even if it weren't for Carlisle. I think it's cute how he wants to give Bella everything he can (:

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
-Yes ! I knew Bella would somehow get to him to make love again ! Edward loves her so much that he'll do anything for her, so I knew that there was someway she would get her way haha.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
geminitwin
Settled in Forks

Post by geminitwin »

I have to admit I reacted the same way Bella did, "Wow, she's not hurt so bad! How great!". I was then immediately embarrassed that I had. When Edward pointed out that by being pleasantly surprised it had turned out as well as it had that meant she was completely aware of the amount of danger she was putting herself in. That does make it seem completely irresponsible and reckless. That being said, I still would have gone through with it if I was her. She had a good point, wanting to experience things as a human before.... Edward wants her to experience life as a human and doesn't want to take those things away from her.

I think he was justified initially but needed to cut himself some slack. The fact of the matter is that he didn't kill her or even hurt her horribly. Clearly, he was able to make progress with just being around her and then kissing her as time passed. So why would this piece of their relationship be any different?

I think it just comes with the territory when you love someone, you want to give them everything they have, regardless of whether they really need or want it or not.

No way! He couldn't stop himself from kissing her and the eventually got easier with time.
Seeker-Mar
Wandering Through Town

Post by Seeker-Mar »

Unfortunately I had read the Entertainment Weekly review before I was a fan of the books. From that review (Which I found to be rather sleazy and unfair.) I expected Bella to be mangled. Then when I read it I wondered, 'What was that reviewer talking about?" I mean some bruises is not that bad. I was happily surprised but also not surprised because I knew Edward would never really hurt her.

Yes, at first. I think all honorable men are horrified at the idea of hurting a woman, especially a women they love. Also, I think he was really worried that she was seriously hurt. However, after Bella reassured him he should have trusted her and made love to her again. Healthy marriages are about trust.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned . Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?

Yes, I figured it came from Carlisle. However, another poster pointed out the vampires, "fixed" personalities so then I began to think that he may have learned this from his human father. After all he had given Edward's mother a very nice ring and wasn't the huge heart diamond her's too?

No, I expected him to hold firm so I was SO HAPPY for them when he didn't. ;-)
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. James 3:17
lauren00
Wandering Through Town

Post by lauren00 »

Thiis is one of my favorite chapters. Truly. It's where Edward and Bella get to share their love:) So romantic.

As i was reading this chapter i kinda got the feeling that Bella was going to end up having a child with Edward.But i was surprised when i found out Nessie was half human half vampire. Her ability is pretty cool too,
i didn't imagine it like that, but still it turned out good. :)

I love you, too, Momma. We’ll always be together.
Renesmee Cullen, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 35, p.675
elizabethswan19
Settled in Forks

Post by elizabethswan19 »

I learned a long time ago to let Stephanie Meyer surprise me. I didnt know what to expect. I knew something would happen though. Just wasnt sure what.

No. I understand he was mad with himself, but she woke up laughing and not even realizing she was hurt. When he realized she was ok and not angry with him, but happy and feeling great, he should have let it go.

Haha! Yes, I do think it a learned behaviour from Carlise and everyone in the family. Bella is his first (and only) love. Before her he watched Carlise spoil the love of his life Esme and the same with his siblings. He has seen what his family does for each other and he wants to do everythng for Bella and spoil her and take care of her the same way because thats what he knows how to do.

Yes. I did think that eventually Bella would change his mind...
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

Honestly, I didn't know what was going to happen. I knew that Bella was gonna get hurt somehow, but I guess that I didn't figure how much or how badly. And the outcome shocked me.

I don't know how to answer this question. I just figure that he was trying to explain himself. Like I said, I don't know how to answer this question.

I think that he has some learned behaviors. But, when it comes to generosity I'm not sure about it. When Bella learned that she was buried all over, I didn't totally understand the conversation she had with Edward.

I did at first. But, when Bella started making suggestions that she wanted to wait and that she wanted a semester of college. . . I thought that it had something other than to do with going to Dartmouth.

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
-veiled-
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by -veiled- »

- Actually, I think that I expected her to be hurt & with bruised and what-not, but of course, it was well worth it! :p

- I don't think he should have made anything out of it because Bella didn't feel like it was something she regretted. He too it a little too far, I think. Especially on how important the day was; the first day of her life as a "wife".

- I agree, I think that because he has been around Carlisle so much & sees how he wants to help so many others, that Edward might feel a little obligated to be that way (because he is "evil" or the "bad guy" and such), but at the same time his connect w/ his family including Bella, helps encourage it.

- I did expect it a little. He is a persistent and sticks w/ what he says UNTIL he gives in, which he seems to do. For example, when he realizes that he shouldn't be speaking to Bella, but if you've read "Midnight Sun", he gives up & goes w/ the "flow".
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I didnt think that she would be hurt any more or less. I mean there is always that chance that he could have like bitten and killed her, but we all know he wouldnt be able to actually do that.

I dont think he was justified. Obviously Bella had NO problem what-so-ever as to how the night turned out. She was very happy.

I mean he was born in a different time. So they way guys or men back in that time acted different, and thats where i think he probably learned his gererosity from. Most people who were born in the earlier 1900's are nicer that those who were born, in lets say after 1985.

I think she. We all know it is hard for him to resist her, though he has been doing it since they have been together. But now that they're married, i always thought it would be different, and maybe just a little harder for him to not want to touch her, or be with her sexually.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]