The Classics -- Films, books, etc

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Re: The Classics -- Films, books, etc

Post by dimber »

fanMNM wrote:Dimber...

I think you explained that really well! I agree...

Some people tend to believe that a book isn't a classic until it's been cannonized...but I think that it should be based on the amoutn of time it's stood as a favorite among readers...same with movies!
I agree with you about this. Academics and critics tend to consider only what has been already included in the canon but then, again, it depends upon a lot of things what you consider canonized or not. For example, Tolkien is considered a classic in the States and in the UK. In Italy he's just dismissed as a minor author: I had to change my research project to get into the PhD program.
I think the time test is definitely the most effective one for music, books and films.

xXBeSafeXx It's always like that...my English teacher at highschool used to criticise a lot my old-fashioned taste in both music and books. Unbelievable, a teacher!!! :o Never mind what they say to you, just go on and read what you enjoy, either classics or not...reading must be, first of all, a pleasure.
For example, I've never read the Russian novelists and I'm not ashamed...I never had to for study reasons and I found their prose too "heavy" for my taste. I don't think there is a point in reading something just because everybody says that's a classic.

Talking about music, good old Frank is definitely a classic. I love his songs and his voice was so amazing!
I think another classic is..............THE BEATLES!!! There is another thread totally devoted to the Beatles but there are only three or four of us :( I think they are the best. In their discography you can find all genres, all types of songs...you never get tired!!!
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I agree with you that Russian literature is kinda heavy...I still have Anna Karenina (did I spell that right? lol) and am trying to get through it. And I do think it is interesting how different regions around the world recognize authors, works of art, music, etc, so differently...

So what is everyone's favorite classic book, movie and song/singer?

Thank you Naureen!!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

My favorite book is Persuasion by Jane Austen, but I don't think I can say a favorite movie or musician. But I think my favorite classic song is Someone to Watch Over Me.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

My favourite book is with no doubt the Lord of the Rings trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkien. It's a universal book, you can find practically everything in it...I keep re-reading it over and over again!!! I will even marry on Bilbo's birthday :lol:

Regarding music, definitely The Beatles. Again, their discography is a mix of the music genres I love most...absolutely amazing.

It's more difficult to pick up a favourite classic movie because it really depends on the mood. I guess BBC's Pride and Prejudice and Sar Wars would be among my favourite regardless my mood ;)
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I have to confess a hatred for the book The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka...

I don't have any idea how people decided this is a book that should be considered a classic that should be studied for years...ugh! I had to read it for a World Lit class and it killed me to get thru. Truly awful and I didn'tg et anything from it...

Thank you Naureen!!
addictedbooklover
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by addictedbooklover »

I haven't read any classics except Jane Eyre, which I enjoyed even if it took me ages to read and every second page there was a word I didn't understand.
I have watched lots of movie adaptions of classics, especially Jane Austen ones.
Oh, if Anne of Green Gables is a classic then I've read two

Team Jacethper! (Jacob, Seth and Jasper) Now, to fit Leah in there...

Thanks Cocoa for the banner :D

maddy<3twilight
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by maddy<3twilight »

Wizard of Oz... :lol:
RR! ~ Major Dark! ~ I <3 Peeta! ~ J<3B ~
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

Today in math my teacher was making some point and then said, "As Shakespeare's Julius Caesar would say, "Y tu...'" and then I said "Brutus". A lot of the people in my class looked at me weird and I would say about more than half of them did not know that line. And I'm in an honors class. I mean, I'm not Shakespeare buff, but COME ON!!! Some lines you just know.
I think it's sad that some of the classics are dying these days.
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

debussygirl....WOW!! The idea of that many people not recognizing that line is crazy to me!! I guess I just always thought it was one of the more recognizable quotes...even if you hadn't read it, most people know where it comes from and could finish it, like you did....

I swear, I'm going to make my kids watch and read all the classics so that at least some of tomorrow's generation remembers!! LOL

Thank you Naureen!!
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

Oh, and I posted this already on the Audrey Hepburn thread, but...
I had to dress up for Audrey Hepburn for school once, and as far as the outfit and the hair I looked just like her. So first off, most people didn't know who I was except for one girl. I wasn't too worried then, I'm nowhere near as pretty as Audrey. But then I tell them who I am and the say, "Who's that?" I said, "She was in My Fair Lady, Sabrina, Roman Holiday, Breakfast at Tiffany's..."
Then one person said, "Breakfast at Tiffany's? Did they get that from the song?"
:shock: :shock: :shock:
I swear, my generation needs some culture!