Chapter 3: The Big Day

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ment2be134
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 3: The Big Day

Post by ment2be134 »

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella? Well, when i read this chapter to be honest i thought that something along the lines of Bella having a baby because in past when a lot of time was spent on dreams it usually came into reality later in the book. though i kinda put it out of my head because i was like that could never happen, haha so much for that idea. But as for it being the night before her wedding that wasn't the meaningful at least for me.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?I don't know it might have been that Rosalie thought it really wasn't going to change anything if she was mean to Bella, and in some ways i think that after Rosalie shared her story with Bella the had some more compassion for each other.

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself?
I think that that she was just commenting on how Alice wanted to do every thing her self because form what we've seen of Renee she is observant but unlike Bella she isn't stubborn and is easily persuaded

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?Because i think that people get blind sighted when there are other things crowded around or when your afraid of what will happen, but when she was looking into Edwards eyes i can only imagine what she was seeing and she finely realized that NOTHING else mattered.
dragonrider713
Wandering Through Town

Post by dragonrider713 »

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella?

There may have been some significance to it, but not that I can see. To me, it seemed like the dream stemmed from her thinking about the immortal children before falling asleep.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?

Rosalie never got to have the wedding that she wanted when she was human. She was probably living through Bella a little bit, wanting to be a part of it.

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself?

I really think it was just her commenting on how Alice wanted to do everything.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?

I don't think that Bella ever really saw herself getting married, until it was actually happening. She realizes that she wants to be tied to him in every way possible.
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella?

At the time, I didn't think the dream was foreshadowing that Bella was going to get pregnant. SM usually used Bella's dreams to allude to something, though, so I thought it would be significant in some way...I just didn't expect Bella to actually have a baby! As the dreams continued through the honeymoon, I began to suspect.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?

I think Rosalie hated the choice Bella was making, but like she said at the end of New Moon (the scene where they all vote on Bella's becoming a vampire) she is not opposed to having Bella as a sister, she just doesn't want to see Bella give up her chance of being human. I think Rosalie felt like she'd shared her feelings on the subject and now she'd just have to accept Bella's choice.

I simply think it was a place for SM to add in some humor. It was a line that kinda broke the ice for Bella and allowed her to laugh. The build up to the wedding was intense and I think that moment broke it up a little. I don't think Renee really suspected anything...I think she simply meant to imply how much Alice was in control and handled all the details.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?

I think all along she was simply afraid of the idea of being married...ahe was afraid of the institution. I don't think she actually ever stopped to consider that she'd be humanly tying herself to Edward by doing this until at that moment during the ceremony. I think once she realized she was able to forget about everyone else and see the truth of the matter...that she was saying 'yes' to Edward, to being with him forever, she realized it wasn't such a big deal.

Thank you Naureen!!
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

I think because she was thinking about children her subconscious dug up the memory of edward saying he wished she was pregnant, and this was her mind's way of telling her that she would actually truly love her child if she did become pregnant, and that though she didn't think she was, it was actually a big thing for her to give up.

I think she finally understood why Bella was doing this, and she just wanted to be nice.

I think a bit of both. Renee probably noticed, but she would have already seen that the Cullens were a bit odd, and wouldn't actually mention that - she was just remarking about Alice being a control freak. She would have talked to Bella if she had seen anything major.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?[/quote]

Because all the embarrassing and terrifying parts were over, she had told her parents, she didn't trip down the aisle, and she finally got to think about what becoming Edward's wife really meant instead of worrying about trivial things.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
Seeker-Mar
Wandering Through Town

Post by Seeker-Mar »

I think she had this dream to be a story arc. To scare us for her future pregnacy and to contrast the murderous child in this dream with the child in her other dreams that just needed protection. I think it was clever writing to scare us yet tell us at the same time that the baby would be, okay. ie not some evil thing.

I think she just wanted to welcome Bella into the family. I think she also just loves weddings. In my opinion people mis-understand and mis-represent Rose. Especially Edward. She is vain and that is her weakness and character flaw but she is also kind and she tries to be moral. I mean she's never tasted human blood.

No, I think it probably just irritated her (as much as you can be irritated by a Cullen ;) ) that Alice was being so controlling. I think she also likes to justify her lack of involvement in Bella's life.

From my own experience getting married (with a serious commitment) is powerful. It just feels so pure and right, no matter how much determination it took to get there.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. James 3:17
-veiled-
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by -veiled- »

- I believe that it was all the talks they had about the immortal children. She was overwhelmed w/ it, and of course - had the dream. But I also think it was because she maybe realized that she wanted a child, and if she had one that it what she would create. But she would do anything to protect the child.

- I think after Rosalie had told her about the choices that she never had because of the circumstances in which she was changed, Bella & Rose grew a little bit closer. Bella understood why Rosalie was so jealous/angry at the fact that Bella was human. Rose wanted to help in "Breaking Dawn", I think, because she realized that things can't change for her and she came to accept it.

- Well, Alice can be Alice! haha. Yes, I think she was a little to excited and some point & that's what Renee means. However, at the same time I think it means that she had a vision of Bella's "perfect" wedding, and only she could pull it off.

- Those two love each other! Of course, she knew that she was winning. She thought she was losing her friends, family, & experiences that she couldn't get back, but after looking at Edward I think she realized that she would be able to find those things w/ him. *sighs* I love this book!
isaella swan
Settled in Forks

Post by isaella swan »

at first to be honest i thought that bella would want to create an immortal child once she was immortal herself cause she wouldn't be able to get one...but that would just not have been bella...on the other hand i couldn't see her get pregnant either...even after finishing breaking dawn i couldn't imagine her as a mother...

bella was living rosalie's dream which is getting married; as we know now she was just about to fulfill it when she became a vampire...she just tried to get a sparkle of bella's happiness...

i don't think renée ment anything more than just how "obsessed" alice was with the whole wedding thing and expressed ironically that she in fact appreciated it

first of all bella was only opposed to marrying because of her mother's experiences/she didn't want to be the stupid high school girl running off with the rich guy; but then she realized, mostly because of renées unexpected reaction, that the whole thing she's into is much more serious and that she is too mature to repeat her mother's mistakes...and finally: this is the perfect true love, how can you be opposed to marrying edward!!! :D
perfection, eternity and true <3
TEAM EDWARD knight in shining volvo
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I think that there is some significance to this. I think that its kind of getting her ready for what she will be having to deal with in the furture. Though when she has the nightmare she isn't sure what its about, or why she is having it. But once she found out she was pregnant, i think that she kind of knew that thats what was going to, or might happen to her baby. And even in the dream she wanted to protect that child too.

Im not really sure what motivated Rosalie to actually be nice to Bella. Maybe she was finally understanding that Bella would be a part of her family, and she has to play nice so that everyone doesn't get all pissed at her. Ya know?

I think that she was just simply remarking that Alice wanted to do anything.

Im not sure. Maybe that she knew by doing what he wanted her to do she knew she would be winning. [like she stated]. I think she just also realized that maybe she liked the Title Mrs. Cullen. She was a part of his family, and we know how much she loves them.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
tiffanyh
Settled in Forks

Post by tiffanyh »

I think it was just Bella being worked up about it all. Stress of the day ahead of her... things she's not even aware of in the back of her mind... and things she's not aware of for her future.

I think Rosalie realized that Bella was part of the family... and nothing was going to change that. Instead of being mean and callous, she'd just decided to accept her. Maybe not 100%, but at least enough to be friendly and try to reach out to her.

I think it was a simple remark about Alice wanting to do everything. I'm sure Renee dreamed of the day she'd be able to help her daughter get married... and the same for Charlie, though he'd never admit it. I don't think anything should/could be read into it.

I think she just had to be in the situation to fully understand it. Being in the moment opened her eyes and heart to what she was really gaining and doing. I don't know about anyone else, but my heart sighed with relief that she, at that moment, changed into a woman... the woman Edward loved and knew she'd always be... and always had been underneath that hard outer shell she sometimes puts up.
Isabella Swan? I promise to love you forever — every single day of forever. Will you marry me?
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 20, p.460
TEAM EDWARD!
BellaJayne
Settled in Forks

Post by BellaJayne »

Alphie wrote:Thanks to jenni_elyse for the discussion questions!

I think it is partly Bella just being Bella, but as we have previously seen in New Moon, Bella's subconscious plays a rather large part in her dreams. Is it possible that, knowing that herself and Edward are going to have sex once they are married, that her subconscious is possibly warning her to use some form or birth control? Finally a human instinct in an inhuman setting? In her waking mind she'd never believe it was possible, her subconscious is a different story altogether. Also... Stephenie Meyer usually sets up the looming possibility of danger near the begging of the book, is it possible that this is a big set up, to plant the seed of worry for the future of the characters in the readers mind?

This has got to have something to do with Rosalies desperation to have a normal life, by getting married, Bella is fulfilling a small part of that desire, and so therefore, a small piece of Rosalie's resentment is chipped away, sparking a brief moment of kindness and kindred spirt-ness in Rosalie. Hey Presto.

Renee is perceptive, but not that perceptive. If she hasnt already guessed that Edward is a vampire, she's not likley to. It's probably more of a back handed remark at the look that would have flitted across Alys's face everytime someone tried to take away a teency bit of that control :D

Because in this instance, Bella knows that Edward is all she will ever want. Afterwards, she gets thrills out of being called his wife... it's clear that she wanted this just as much as he did. Again, its her subconscous playing a part. She makes herself believe that it is all a matter of convienience, because she's frightened by what people will think, especially Renee, but in reality, her subconscious wins out and lets her finally feel the desperation to be so entwined to Edward.
She really does like the idea of marriage deep down!