Countries ARE really different

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Christine!
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Post by Christine! »

Well, actually I'm sure if that's the exact time, but everything just closes really early. You can't go anywhere past nine atleast.

Yeah, usually on;y go to Ptown to shop...since our malls only have like 2 good stores. Hah.
previously ChristineAnn, incase you didn't figure that out:)
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

I live in Kentucky, and people here don't marry their cousins.
We aren't a one horse town
It's not "the middle of nowhere.
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
Psychicpoptarts
Wandering Through Town

Post by Psychicpoptarts »

Last edited by Psychicpoptarts on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlainaTwilight
Learning to Love Green

Post by AlainaTwilight »

Psychicpoptarts wrote:Because my dad was in the military, I was born in Japan. I lived there the first 7 years of my life. When my family moved back to the United States, I was completed frazzled. I did not like it here. Japan from what I remembered was SO peaceful, and the people who live there are the nicest people I've ever encountered. I found it somewhat shocking how NOT peaceful it was here. Now that I'm much older the only thing that I really wonder is why does Americans use spoons, forks or sporks to eat soup? I find chopsticks to be much easier and effective! lol :) Or maybe it's just me...?

My dad is ex-military. (he got injured durring the Gulf War in 91 and was discharged) So I was born in Britian (dad was stationed there from 1988-1995), and lived there for the first 5 years i was alive (we had to move after my dad was discharged, and my mom finally got US Citizenship). Yea...I have a mild accent, my mom is from Britian but my accent isn't as strong as hers (you really only hear it on certian words), and I have dual citizenship. I've grown used to living in the US, since I've spent 12 years here. I like both countries, but I prefer London to Portland.
Psychicpoptarts
Wandering Through Town

Last edited by Psychicpoptarts on Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
steph
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by steph »

im from oklahoma and there are alot of misconceptions about the state..some:

We have tornados every day
No, we only have them during tornado season...like april through sept.
Everyone lives on a farm
Nope, we do have big cities and i personally have never lived on farm.
Everyone drives a pickup and wears cowboy hats
Some of that might be true but not all of it, if you go to the smaller towns you will see more trucks and cowboy
hats but not in the bigger cities (Tulsa and OKC)

Yes, we have a large population of indians but they do not live in teepees or scalp people...i was actually asked once if i knew someone that had been scalped by an indian, some people are so ignorant lol
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

I'm originally from Michigan and...

We really do use our hand to point to where we are from.

We do vacation at Cedar Point.

We do bake with soda and drink pop

We do always end up having Canadian change

Families are broken over the Michigan/Michigan State game

I have had little league games snowed out

Our year does have two seasons: Winter and Construction

I do know how to play Euchre.

Now I live in NC...

And I do LOVE the sweet tea down south
Biscuits and gravy are kiler here
And people say ya'll everywhere you go
Psychicpoptarts
Wandering Through Town

ashleygill03 wrote:We do bake with soda and drink pop
I'm SO glad you call it pop, and not soda! I grew up in Iowa. And it's pop, not soda. :)
Psychicpoptarts
Wandering Through Town

Last edited by Psychicpoptarts on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharenei
Wandering Through Town

Post by Sharenei »

On the topic of countries:

Less than a year after I was born, thanks to my dad's ties with Uncle Sam, we moved to what was, at the time, West Germany. We were fortunate in that we were able to find housing off-base, in a small town (well, our section seemed small to me) about an hour's drive from Ramstein. My first language was German, and my sisters and I spoke it with the fluency and comfort of the locals--and our neighbors greatly appreciated (and might've even been amused by) this. Being the only English-speakers--let alone Americans--in town was a highly enlightening experience. All in all, it was a firsthand lesson in the kindness, tenacity, and sheer neighborliness of the average German when one made an effort to work with them. Things were quite different at the American school we went to, though...but that was as much of a classist issue as it was a cultural issue. I have stories that serve as strong reminders today, but I'm already getting long-winded, so I'll save those for the interested. (And yes, for the record, I was there when the Wall came down. Mom let us stay home from school for that.

Now, in the Grand Tradition of Memes:

We're Neighbors if...

...you know what "Ak-Sar-Ben" is without needing it explained.
...corn and beef make a perfect meal--and you can get them in your backyard.
...you wake up to the sound of a tornado siren, and immediately go back to sleep (or, in case of an actual tornado, you grab your blanket and pillow and go back to sleep in your shelter).
...you've ever referred to the town across the river as "Counciltucky"
...you got mad when the Lancers moved across the river.
...you can properly pronounce "Beatrice", "Kearney", and "Norfolk"
...black and red are your favorite colors.
...you know that Flyover Country doesn't really start until I-80 mile marker 300
...you know that Valentine is not a romantic city.