Chapter 5 ~ Cheater

A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Re: Chapter 5 ~ Cheater

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be?

No not really I thought that they were talking about a big bear that's all.

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to "make the most" of working alone with her?

I think that he probably did try in the begining because Bella said that he didn't walk her to class anymore, so at some point he did. But I think he noticed that she wasn't interested or even all there so he gave up.

3) What did you think of Bella's motorcycle plan?

I loved the it but thought that she was loosing it. love to try new things and she was looking to be dangerous what beter way than to learn how to drive a motorcycle. I want to learn maybe next time I go to Guatemala.

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did?

I figured there was going to be strong relationship there, but I knew that for Bella it would only be friendship and for Jacob it would be another thing. I think that Jacob is handsom but not an Edward, he is very funny and easy to talk to when he is not acting stupid.

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not?

She felt that if she left Forks it would be like if he had never existed, as if she had dreamed it all up and that she couldn't live through.

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not?

Well I didn't dislike him in Twilight I just thought that he should mind his own bussiness and he was concerned about Bella's well being that's all. So my opinion of him was still the same, I liked him.
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be?
I didn't think much of it. I just thought oh great more danger in the area. Nothing more than that.

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to "make the most" of working alone with her?
I think he just kind of realized how depressed she was and that she wasn't herself anymore. He knew she didn't do anything anymore so I think he just gave up while she was in her "zombie" state.

Ridiculous but I too was looking forward to hearing his voice again.

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did?
I thought they would be friends but I never thought it would get to that level. I liked that she found something to make her happy for the time being but I didn't want Jacob to replace Edward in a romantic way.

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not?
I suspected it. I knew she wasn't going to leave because of that lingering presence. I think in the back of her mind she thought he had to come back eventually.

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not?
I didn't really get a bad impression of him, but I did grow to like him a little bit more.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

At first I thought it was another vampire, maybe Laurent. But I didn't think that someone would mistake him for a bear. I knew that it was going to become very important because SM never puts in little things like that without it coming out later in the story.

I think that he accepted that she was not goiong to be the same again and sorta gave up on her. I thought that he might try to get closer to her, but it didn't surprise me that he didn't.

I thought it was rather clever myself. It wasn't the most dangerous thing she could do, but it would definately be affective.

I had always had a soft spot for Jake and I was glad that he was gonna become a bigger part of the story. I didn't think that they would become as close as they did, but I'm not complaining about it.

I wasn't surprised at all. If I was her, I wouldn't want to leave Forks either.

It changed slightly. When Edward was around, Billy seemed like an over concered parent, but now he seems more fun loving anf happy.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-i didnt think much of it besides the fact that "oh a big bear is in the neighborhood". i didnt think it would be as important as it was later on.

-no not really, when edward was gone, bella wasnt bella, she wasnt herself. mike probably noticed that and didnt try to make the most of them being alone together.

-again, it was dumb, but i was still deperatley wanted to hear edwards voice.

-yes, i liked jacob, at first. i thought he was just a kid who was too young for bella, but for some reason i knew he would become important to her.

-no i was really suprised. bella would always be attached to forks, because thats where she met edward, and if he ever came back looking for her there, she didnt want to be gone.

-i think my impression changed a little bit. he seemed nicer and more friendly towards bella so it made me like him a little bit more then before.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

Not at all. I didn't give it any more thought.

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behaviour toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to "make the most" of working alone with her?
I don't think he wanted to be with Bella like that at the time. I mean, she didn't sound like a lot of fun to be around during those days.

I thought it was a good idea. :lol: After all, what's wrong with driving a motorcycle?

I liked him as Bella's friend. He wasn't Edward, but he was warm and sweet and he helped Bella through a hard time in her life. I couldn't help but liking him for that. :)

Not really. Bella obviously didn't want to forget Edward and since she didn't have anything left of him, I can imagine that she thought it would feel as if he never existed in the first place if she went somewhere outside of Forks.

Yeah, my impression of him did change. I started to like him more. In Twilight I thought he was annoying but now he turned out to be okay.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

I didnt pay too much attention the first time around that I read the book, I was still upset that Edward was gone. But the second and third time around, well yes by then it was obvious that the "huge black bear" was relevant to the story LOL.

I was a little surprised that now that Edward was not around he wouldn't harrass Bella to go out..but he probably looked at her face and knew that she was just not there. I actually think it was kind of nice him to let her be.

I thought...yeah that is definitely stupid and reckless. I am not a fan of motorcycles, but if this would make Edward come back then I thought go ahead ride it.

I thought he was a sweet kid. He helped Bella during a very difficult time and for that he gets brownie points. Yes I knew he would become someone important in her life because at that time she didn't have anything to hold on to. BUT..I didn't like enough for me to say "go ahead Bella forget about Edward and stay with him". Nope.

I was not surprised. If I was Bella I would probably want to stay too. Now, whether its healthy or not its a completely different matter.

Not really.
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~ i was scareddd. i didnt think much of it.

~i was suprised, i figured he'd nag her alot.

~hahahha i laughed. Bella on a motorcycle is a hilarious thought.

~ he was okay. i didnt figure he'd be that important in future books though.

~not suprised at all.

~ no, he still had the same impression on me.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
readmymind
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by readmymind »

I didn't think much of it at the moment, but i stored it away in my mind for future reference.

I think he was just used to zombie Bella.

The story just got a whole lot more interesting.

I liked him. He seemed really nice and fun. I didn't expect him to play as big a role has he did.

I wasn't surprised. It made perfect sense to stay where her memories were.

Kind of. In twilight I liked him but thought he needed to mind his own business. By New Moon I had realized he was just protective.
Last edited by readmymind on Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight Sun: She was dreaming of me. And it wasn't even a nightmare. She wanted me stay with her, there in the dream.--Edward Cullen
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be? I thought that it wasn't important at all, so I just blew it off.

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to "make the most" of working alone with her? I think that Mike had tried to get Bella to go out with him when she was in her "zombie stage" and just gave up after a while.

3) What did you think of Bella's motorcycle plan? I think it was a relatively good idea, considering all of the other things that she could've done to cheat.

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did? I thought that Jacob was okay, but I didn't see him becoming such a big part of who she is.

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not? I wasn't surprised because this is where her good memories were, and I think that she had a voice in the back of her head saying that he would come back.

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not? My impression of Billy did change because he seemed more relaxed and not always worrying about Bella's safety.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

Questions supplied by Seraphyn -

The very first time it was mentioned, I thought it was kind of strange. By the second time, I knew it was important, but not why.

I was a little surprised, but then again, Bella had been a zombie for so long, that he probably just gave up on her.

I thought that she was definitely a bit unhinged, but I could understand her desperation. If she could only hear his voice when she was doing something stupid, dangerous and reckless, then this was definitely a good plan.

I liked Jacob. He was always happy and sweet and he could make Bella laugh. I thought that he was a really good friend to Bella, but I didn't think that he'd play the role in her life that he does later.

I knew she was staying because of Edward. She'd already stated that she couldn't bear to live in world where he didn't exist, so I figured that she wouldn't want to go some place totally devoid of his memory/presence. She needed to stay in Forks.

I actually liked Billy before, just not his interference. I always thought that he considered Bella as family and was just looking out for her welfare, so my impression of him didn't change much.