Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 22 ~ Fire and Ice

Post by natterss707 »

1. What do you think about the honesty the boys show each other?
Surprising but I loved it! It was nice to get inside of Edward's head for once as well =)

2. Are you surprised to see Edward admitting his jealousy and showing less patience?
Not really. It's inevitable that he's going to have those feelings.

3. How did you feel about Edward's four options regarding Bella?
I guess those are all the options he has. I didn't like the leaving her option I don't really know how he could have thought that it would in any way help her. It's obvious that they both need each other and any "option" that doesn't involve that is just absurd. The option that would have them together is the best for both of them, in my opinion.

4. What surprised you most about the conversation they had?
The honesty and how in depth Edward went into detail. And the fact that they were so willing to talk about those things with each other in the first place although Jacob doesn't really have a choice.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
Mrs.CarlisleCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by Mrs.CarlisleCullen »

First off i'd like to say that this is probs one of my fave chapters in the entire saga.!

I think that it was good that Edward let Jake in his head. It sort of helped them both to understand the others perspective of their feelings for Bella.

2. Are you surprised to see Edward admitting his jealousy and showing less patience?
No. I mean we all expected it coming. Like how far can you push a guy ( or in this case vamp) without expecting him to snap. Its also a good thing for Jake that Edward showed his jealously, because hes the one questioning Edward about being unselfish when really Jake's being the selfish one. He shouldn't just think of how he feels for Bella but how Edward feels as well.

I didnt like his leaving option. at all or the option about staying with her throughout her entire "human" life.
I know that he thinks she'd be better off human but seriously its inevitable he knew that obviously one day she was going to be like him so i dont know why he cant just accept that and bite her.

The thing that surprised me the most would be that Edward actually told Jacob the four options that he pondered apon. I know that their conversation was pretty deep, but i didnt expect Edward to go into that much detail about how he thought things should go when he learned he loved Bella.
UntilYourHeartStopsBeating,BellaI'll BeHere-Fighting.
ImNotComingOverAnymoreIfAliceIsGoingToTreatMeLikeGuineaPigBarbieWhenIDo.
Lion_And_The_Lamb
Settled in Forks

Post by Lion_And_The_Lamb »

Have you read the poem Fire and ice by Robert Frost? Its at the beginning of eclipse. Here it is just in case you haven't read it:

Some say the world will end in fire,
Somw say in ice.
From what i've tasted of desire,
I hold with those who favour fire.
But it had to perish twice,
I think i know enough of hate,
To say that for destruction ice,
Is also great,
And would suffice.

I love it! It basically means that between Bella and Edward there is fire; Love. Between Edward and Jacob there is ice; Hate. And between Bella and Jacob there it a pool of hot water; a bit of both!
Stupid, Shiney, Volvo Owner!
SarahGoddard
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by SarahGoddard »

Lion_And_The_Lamb wrote:Have you read the poem Fire and ice by Robert Frost? Its at the beginning of eclipse. Here it is just in case you haven't read it:

Some say the world will end in fire,
Somw say in ice.
From what i've tasted of desire,
I hold with those who favour fire.
But it had to perish twice,
I think i know enough of hate,
To say that for destruction ice,
Is also great,
And would suffice.

I love it! It basically means that between Bella and Edward there is fire; Love. Between Edward and Jacob there is ice; Hate. And between Bella and Jacob there it a pool of hot water; a bit of both!
Interesting - I thought it was refering to the fact that Edward is col, like Ice and Jacob is Fire, not their realationships. Something along the lines of fvouring fire and perishing twice to do with the fact that Bella and Jacobs realationship never really got started and that their friendship nearly perished (maybe more than twice actually)

Absolutly LOVED it! Really really beautiful, touching and downright funny!

umm I dont think I was surprised. Imagine how that must be for him - watching another man, a man who is in love with his soulmate non the less so physically close to her, enjoying it and Edward knowing he cant be too upset because he is practically saving her life. Also he knows how much Bella cares for Jacob...it makes sense for him to be jealous and it was good for him to let it out too I think.

Why (well we know why but still) but given two of the other options (leaving her and hurting her or staying with her till shes old and dies) did he not want to turn her into a vampire earlier???

The complete honesty they shared, but most of all the fact that they were then prepared to fight SO dirty the next day and forget how close to being close they had become. Although it did lay the foundations for their future realationship I think.

PS This was one of my favourite chapters of the entire series!

~1/2 of the infamous Snowgod~
Sarah just needs her Lexily to get her through the day.
Left her ♥ on the Gen Y thread, Rockin' the 3rd person!
:mrgreen:
BellsEdwardalways
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by BellsEdwardalways »

I think that the honesty they showed each other was great. It was an interesting conversation to hear and I enjoyed reading it.

Well, since he didn't think Bella was listening not really. I think it was different for him to admit his jealousy to someone who is just as jealous than to Bella.

Well, the other options he had were nice but because of who he is the option he is in was the one that was going to happen. (It's all part of my whole destiny thing from answering question one for Chapter 13 Newborns).

Good question I am not really sure to be honest. Maybe the honesty between the two and that they called a temporary truce.
http://chelseadawn.webs.com/
Banner by Kimmy. Avatar made by Narnia
Banner by threethings
mama mia
Settled in Forks

Post by mama mia »

This is one of my favorite chapters! Bella is so lucky to have two gorgeous and wonderful men fight over her!

I loved the fact that they were able to let their guards down and be totally honest with each other even though they were mortal enemies. I think they really wanted to understand each other, because deep down inside they knew that the other was not a bad guy. It took a lot of maturity, especially on Jacobs part, to be able to admit their feelings and motivations about Bella and each other. Well of course he didn't have too much of a choice with Edward reading his mind anyway. Edward is very mature, and I really respected his opening up to Jacob.

Not really, I sort of expected it. Hey, he's only human (no pun intended). The guy does have feelings and emotions too! I'm sure it was never easy for him to see how easy and natural the relationship between Jacob and Bella was. He just had to be jealous over that!

I think that Edward always tends to over analyze things. I guess having so much time on his hands, he can't help but think too much and always try to find the best solution. I just feel that he could have saved himself a lot of heartache and arguments between Bella, if he just accepted the fact that turning her into a vampire is the best choice! He couldnt reconcile the fact that turning her into a vampire was not a selfish choice, just because it would benefit him, but that it was the right choice because Bella wanted it too.
mama mia
Settled in Forks

Post by mama mia »

I forgot question #4!

I guess the overall honesty between them was surprising. Edward really opened up and didn't hide anything from Jacob. And Jacob also wanted Edward to understand him too. The part when he was telling Edward that he honestly felt that Bella was better off with him, and that if only Edward hadn't come back right away, he might have found Bella happy with Jacob. Wow, Jacob had me convinced. I think this was the point where I was veering towards Team Jacob. :D
obsessed
Settled in Forks

Post by obsessed »

This was my favorite chapter in the series, because you really get to compare Edward and Jacob side by side. You can relate to both of them and eventhough you know that one of them has to get hurt you don't want either of them to hurt. And I love the title FIRE AND ICE - perfect!
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

I thought it was a good thing. But it also gave each of them something to use against each other. I think.

Well yeah in a way. I think he only told him that because he was being honest with him.

I supposed he was trying to find out what all his options were to try to find what was safest for Bella and what would make her happy at the same time.

That they did decide to be honest even for that small amount of time.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. What do you think about the honesty the boys show each other? I thought it was cool & VERY Surprising at the same time.

2. Are you surprised to see Edward admitting his jealousy and showing less patience? No. It's about time! When I really think about it, it's crazy to me how patient Edward is w/the whole Bella & Jacob thing.

3. How did you feel about Edward's four options regarding Bella? I really can't remember them (it's been a long time since I read this chapter.) I don't have my book w/me right now. So I may go reread this chapter & change my answer later.

4. What surprised you most about the conversation they had? How honest they were & they actually treated each other w/respect.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson