What do you look for in a fictional hero?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ragdoll
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: What do you look for in a fictional hero?

Post by ragdoll »

I love heroes that I can believe could exist. They need to have something that makes them different to other heroes so I don't forget them. Like everyone else has said, they have to have imperfections. A perfect person isn't believable at all. There has to be a good balance between good and bad qualities but the character has to have someting loveable about them or noone will ever fall in love with them. I remember reading a book before (can't remember what it was called) where the main girl was completely in love with a man that I could see nothing good in, other than that he was gorgeous. It ruined the story for me - It just has to be believable!
Congratulations to the Irish rugby team!!!!! Grand Slam at last!!!

Team Seth: 'Cos he's the bestest! :D

My quotes forum: http://quotations.forumotion.com/forum.htm
Spartan
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Spartan »

Sharenei wrote:Hmmm...

I guess I'm horribly picky about my heroes; minor imperfections aren't enough, nor is some sort of overplayed tragic past. If they want the "Hero" tag, they are going to earn it in the strongest, perhaps most morally-questionable fashion possible.

I want my heroes to face the darkest sides of themselves--to see within them their darkest capabilities, to confront the monster within. To see with that monster's eyes the darkness inherent in their particular universe. And from there, I want them to decide what they will do with it. Will they rise completely above that darkness--while continuing to acknowledge it and accept it as part and parcel of what they are? Will they try to twist some of those elements and use them for the greater good, even if it means indulging a "scarier" part of themselves? Or does the monster win the conflict, taking an unassailable hold over them?

I've seen heroes of all three categories, though the last would probably be termed the "antihero", in a more accurate sense. Naturally, your mileage may vary.

It's tough to write a story with a good, strong hero. Good luck! :D
I would agree with that entirely - many people dislike Edward as a hero saying that he's too perfect, but though he isn't my ideal hero he still has his demons that develop more fully in BD.

As well as what all the others have said don't give your hero too many flaws - try to stick with few but fatal flaws and make sure he doesn't miss something really obvious that the character would normally have noticed just to develop the plot ( see I felt that Edward should have thought of the blood sooner - though he was probobly too wrapped up worrying about Bella )
* * Sapere Aude * * Jasper is my Edward : D
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I do want them to have flaws, but also I want them to just be GOOD. I don't care even for people like Rhett Butler, who has sorta a dark side to them.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
love_is_noise
Drag Racing With Alice and Edward

Post by love_is_noise »

well i suppose the recent film interpitation of batman is my favourite kind
because he's not a 'hero' in the sense that he is law abiding ad everyone loves him, he is what gothem needs him to e -evn if this mean taking the rap for something he didn't do.
i prefer him to hero's like suerman who are too good -really unbelievable.
also batman is a normal man with no powers, just a super cool belt!
this shows use that anyone can be something great!

also ike hancock where he has to face his demons before he can move on. =-there is a darkside to this movie and the character but it is also full of hope.
Jasper's Army:Captain RuneheartThe Plan:Supreme LeaderTeam Rose
Volturi::Anastasia Team Leah::Therapist Team Esme::Interior Designer
Carrisa
Officially Bitten!
Location: Gushing over my favorite couple while obsessing over various other fandoms

Post by Carrisa »

When I pick up a book I don't necessarily think, "The hero has to be just like this!" But there are some things I love in a hero.

Mainly, I'm not too fond of an angsty hero. They're overdone; there's almost too many of them. I like my hero to be a guy who's confident and at times cocky but is an all around nice guy who stands up for what he believes in and does whatever he can to help. He has a few flaws but not enough to make a terribly long list, he has weakness that he is willing to accept, and has some internal conflicts but never questions on which side he stands (in other words, he's all good with almost no trace of evil intentions). When it comes to girls, I'd like to see him courteous, respectful, and maybe even a little shy; I love strong heroes who have something of a fear of love. And, contrary to many, I love a guy who can do the impossible, someone I know would never exist not even in a millions years from now. I'm not saying he has to have powers, but I'd like him to be out of the ordinary. And not everyone loves him: he has to have enemies, a rival, an evil counterpart, and not every ordinary citizen adores him maybe even some who can't stand him.

I think that sums it up. I love all sorts of heroes but one's that are at all like the above are my favorites. Now, as for my heroines, that's a completely different story!
"Got it memorized?"
Visit me on Gaia Online if you would like: http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/Mina_May
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Tremendous inner strength. Can overcome any circumstance thrown his way. Cunning, savvy, witty, sharp-minded & most of all - comfortable in his own skin. Yeah - a man for me.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

Of my favorite fictional characters, one is dead (a ghost), one can turn into a snake and has a temper problem and only one surviving relative, and one kills everyone who ever wronged her, no matter how small the slight was. Yep Pattyn's my favorite.
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

A hero should be someone romantic, someone that is selfless in every way... maybe someone that is just there when people need her or him... somebody to look up to, somebody that shows you how you can be happy...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house