Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: The Official Twilight Soundtrack

Post by Jazz Girl »

debussygirl wrote:I hope that Decode wins best song in the Oscars! It's such an amazing song it should win. With Bella's Lullaby as a runner-up.
Unfortunately, DebussyGirl, they aren't nominated. There are only 3 songs nominated, 1 from Wall-E and 2 from Slumdog Millionaire. Idiots. Maybe we should hold our own Academy Awards, call them the Edwards. Then we know that all the loveliness that is Twilight the Movie would get appropriate recognition. :lol:
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

Jazz Girl wrote:
debussygirl wrote:I hope that Decode wins best song in the Oscars! It's such an amazing song it should win. With Bella's Lullaby as a runner-up.
Unfortunately, DebussyGirl, they aren't nominated. There are only 3 songs nominated, 1 from Wall-E and 2 from Slumdog Millionaire. Idiots. Maybe we should hold our own Academy Awards, call them the Edwards. Then we know that all the loveliness that is Twilight the Movie would get appropriate recognition. :lol:
I noticed that too and I thought that was pretty lame, that the Academy couldn't even pick five songs to nominate! You can't tell me that out of all the movies available in the last year in addition to Twilight, the Academy couldn't have found two more potential nominees. Bruce Springsteen had a really good song in "The Wrestler" with Mickey Rourke that won the Golden Globe. Why couldn't they nominate that? Stupid, stuffy people who don't even know good music when they see it! LOL
Banner by TammyAZ
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Jazz Girl wrote:
Okay well I saw it on the lex's blog awhile ago that said they were. Stupid oscars.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
DunnerheartsTwilight
Being Tortured by Jane
Location: Postaholic. Vampirizing Sarah, Emo Tee-angers! DSCL 4 LIFE

Post by DunnerheartsTwilight »

i love the cd i have pplayed it soo many times that it is the top played cd on my ipod... which is hard to do!!
APPC~Party Manager.Leo~Volturi
Cosimo Tagliano~Jamie-Drake.On The List. Seth-Team Jake
jacobblack101
Settled in Forks

Post by jacobblack101 »

i am dancing to supermassive black hole-muse :D i am so excited our costumes are so kool. i also like the hole soundtrack it is awesome :lol:
scarlet_forever
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by scarlet_forever »

I really like Blackhole by Muse, Decode, Eyes on fire, and flightless bird american mouth. I don't actually have the soundtrack so some of the one's I havent' heard. These few I listed I downloaded. I seem to have heard several diff. versions of Bella's lullaby. Is anyone else having this problem??
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
pharmer4
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by pharmer4 »

mlola619 wrote:^^
Since i started listening to Paramore about 4 years ago, i feel obligated to help you guys out lol. Here's the thing, Paramore writes all of their music based on personal experiences. Decode was written long before they knew it was going to be on the twilight soundtrack, thus some of the lyrics don't fit. Many say that Paramore wrote the song specifically FOR twilight, but this in fact is NOT the case. I *along with many others* talked to Hayley on Paramore's livejournal about being on the Twilight soundtrack. We had all known that Hayley was reading the Twilight books (and loves them by the way) from the band's livejournal, and someone brought up how awesome it would be for Paramore to be on the soundtrack. Once saying this Hayley said something like "Oh that'd be awesome, we have the perfect song for Twilight".
Turns out that song was "Decode" and although not all the lyrics fit, the general idea of the song does. Just because it's the movie's leading single doesn't mean every single lyrics has to match the story and doesn't mean that the song was written specifically for twilight.

I'd like to comment on this, given that I run a site where I (and others) review and analyse songs and their lyrics.

Firstly, it is probable that this song was not written with Twilight in mind - it certianly was not written with the movie in mind, since it was written before the movie was started, and before Paramore was invited to contirbute a song.

Secondly, that being said, She had read the books, so it is possible that she wrote this song with the books in mind. I have found with these books that they certainly do feel like a personal experience (imagine how confusing that can be for me - I'm a middle aged dude on the other side of the planet from the US - how do I empathise so well with a teenage female in northern continental US?) -

back on topic

In either case, even if it was not written for the story line, one of the great things about music is that it has just as much meaning for the listener as it does for the musicians (sometimes more, but that is another debate).

In this case, you can definately pick the parallels with Twilight in Decode. Allow me to elaborate:
How can I decide what's right?
When you're clouding up my mind
Can't win your losing fight all the time
Not gonna ever own what's mine
When you're always taking sides
You wont take away my pride
No not this time
Not this time
Bella's reaction to Edward's behaviour when they first meet - there is an obvious attraction, but he seems to be switching all over the place, and her pride and strength of character make her both annoyed at his behaviour, and intrigued at the same time.
How did we get here?
I use to know you so well
How did we get here?
Well, I think I know
Bella and Edward have begun their association, but she has realised there is something more going on
The truth is hiding in your eyes
And its hanging on your tongue
Just boiling in my blood,
But you think that I can't see
What kind of man that you are
If you're a man at all
Well, I will figure this one out on my own
Bella figures it out, but he won't say what he is unless she says it first.

I especially like the "boiling in my blood" line, because the truth really is boiling in her blood, especially from Edward's point of view.
(I'm screaming "I love you so..." But my thoughts you can't decode)
Probably my favourite line, as it directly refers to Bella's ability to block Edward. It also addresses the fact that both of them are acutely insecure in their love - they both feel that their love is so great, that the other can't possibly feel the same, as they never knew they could feel this way themselves. Of course, Edward is the only one of the two who has the ability to know their love is equal, thanks to the last scene in BD . . . .
How did we get here?
How did we get here?
Well, I think I know
- see above
Do you see what we've done?
We're gone and made such fools of ourselves
Do you see what we've done?
We're gone and made such fools of ourselves
I've had discussions with people who say that this line proves this song diverts from the story of Twilight, because she feels they are fools and their relationship is in tatters.

I disagree, for one particular reason

What, of all things, makes more fools of people than anything else?

Love, of course.

sure money, lust, greed etc does this, but truly, Love is the greatest thing on earth for making people into fools. Mainly because in true love, nothing becomes more important that the object of your love, even over yourself. That is, to anyone rational and not in love, a very foolish state of being.
How did we get here?
How did we get here?
Well, I used to know you so well
- again, above
I think I know
I think I know
There is something that I see in you
It might kill me I want it to be true
A reference to the danger in Edward, and it is very true (of course, if he didn't love her, she'd have been dead long before she realised what he was . . .)

Now, In my opinion, I Caught Myself should probably be on New Moon or Eclipse, because it fits Bella's feelings for Jacob so well.

I won't quote this song, but the overall feeling of the song is that she is being caught up in something new and possibly good, but it's not as good as what she really wants.

Of course there is good in it, hence she started slipping in that direction, but Jacob is not the one she believes in (Edward is), so she caught herself, stopped herself, from saying something (ie, I love you) that is meant for someone else.

For the soutrack itself, I think they are some great songs. Being that I spend a lot of time in and around music, I knew a lot of these bands already, but had never taken the time to listen to any other than Perry, Linkin Park, and Collective Soul. Shame on me, really, because now I'm digging Paramore in a big way (something very significant for someone who spends a great amount of time listening to grindcore and death metal), and I am glad I finally gave Muse some time to impress me.

I am also very impressed with Iron and Wine - just listening to the lyrics it is very bitter sweet - a very quirky take on loss.

And lastly, to clarify, Rob's song is from a very defined genre, which no one seems to have picked up on. A lot of people have compared it to country, but I don't think anyone (at least before the 14th page of this thread) picked up on the real genre.

Ie, it is BLUES. Anyone who has spared any time for the greats like John Lee Hooker will definately hear the blues in Rob's song.

It is very very well done - it may not be a "pop" song, in that it is not full of hooks, but it is a very very well constructed Blues song. And, of course, it IS written for the movie, being Edward's thoughts on why Bella would be better without him in her life.

Anyway, sorry for such a long post, hopefully people find it interesting, a different view point to look at.
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
SuperVixen
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by SuperVixen »

pharmer4 wrote:
That was awesome, thanks for all of that. I've been infatuated more with SM's playlists lately and have just begun getting into the movie soundtrack. I never listened to a lot of these younger bands and am glad to say I've been impressed and have new blood to add to my iPod now. Twilight is all the more special to me because of its musical inspiration!
Nothing said Happy Valentine’s Day like a big shiny &%@* unicorn
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Pharmer4 all I can say is Damn! That was an amazing post. I totally agree about Never Think. That, I think, is the great thing about Rob's music. It defies category. It opens your mind to other types of music you might never have otherwise have thought to listen to. Unfortunately, right now, the specualtion is that he is not among the artists to be included on the New Moon soundtrack, which I think is an absolute travesty.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
pharmer4
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by pharmer4 »

Thanks for the comments guys. A lot of the articles I write are more detailed than that, but they might not be about the type of music you like. My profile has the link to my site if anyone is interested, but it is mainly metal, I've voluntarily rated the site MA15+

I am also wondering, does anyone know if there is another place to buy Rob's other song other than iTunes, because on iTunes Australia (and possibly elsewhere), you can only buy it if you purchase the entire album.

Please note I want a place to purchase it - when it comes to music, I am scrupulously ethical - I pay for music to support the artists (especially since my day job as a pharmacist gives me a comfortable-enough income that downloading would be dispicable).

I am wondering what everyone thinks of the other songs on the album - I believe that Perry Farrel's song is the most unpopular, and I think that although it is a well crafted song, this dislike is well justified, as it does not fit well with the feel of the saga, or the movie.

The Black Ghosts' "Full Moon" I think is fantastic, as is MuteMath's "Spotlight" and Blue Foundation's "Eyes On Fire" - very very good songs.

On a similar track, has anyone bought the cinematic soundtrack by Carter Burwell - he's a pretty impressive composer, I must say.

I especially like his explanation for the original of Bella's Lullaby - I believe you can find his background story to it on SM's website.
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here