Countries ARE really different

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Psychicpoptarts
Wandering Through Town

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Post by Psychicpoptarts »

Sharenei wrote:
We're Neighbors if...

...you know what "Ak-Sar-Ben" is without needing it explained.
...corn and beef make a perfect meal--and you can get them in your backyard.
...you wake up to the sound of a tornado siren, and immediately go back to sleep (or, in case of an actual tornado, you grab your blanket and pillow and go back to sleep in your shelter).
...you've ever referred to the town across the river as "Counciltucky"
...you got mad when the Lancers moved across the river.
...you can properly pronounce "Beatrice", "Kearney", and "Norfolk"
...black and red are your favorite colors.
...you know that Flyover Country doesn't really start until I-80 mile marker 300
...you know that Valentine is not a romantic city.
Last edited by Psychicpoptarts on Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharenei
Wandering Through Town

Post by Sharenei »

*blinks*

First order of business: Gold star for being right. That's not what brought on the blink, though.

You grew up in "Counciltucky"? 1.) Wow, that's awesome--we really ARE (well, were!) neighbors! and 2.) I'm sorry...you guys always seem to get the worse end of the weather stick, and it's REALLY unfair. :P The joys of living in river country, right? ;)
Psychicpoptarts
Wandering Through Town

Post by Psychicpoptarts »

Last edited by Psychicpoptarts on Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

Pel wrote:k, I'm from Australia and last year I went over and toured Europe, going to Italy (no, I did not meet Edward) London and France. Everything was going fine until I decided to go to a KFC in London for lunch. Then - shock horror - I asked for some chicken salt. The girl behind the counter looked puzzled and said, "Salt?"
"No," I said. "Chicken salt!"
But she didn't understand and started getting angry so I left.
So I'm wondering, does London actually NOT have chicken salt, or was the lady behind the counter just Twisted Evil ??
Also, I've noticed in America people say 2007 as "two thousand seven" but we say "two thousand and seven"!!
Anything else that you've noticed is different like that, please post it here!!

(ps. In case you are wondering, in Australia we do not ride kangaroos, and our towns don't look like the set of Crocodile Dundee. If you still don't believe me, search 'Melbourne Australia' in google images, where I live!!)

(pps. This is a VERY weird post. Don't worry, I'm not normally like this!!)
If people actually think Australians ride roos or that Crocodile Dundee is an accurate portrayal of life as an Aussie, they should be slapped over the head. Sorry! But people should educate themselves.

I personally don't know what chicken salt is, sorry, I've been living in my whole in the ground for a while! Maybe it has another name?

Even here in the United States people can have a hard time adjusting to minor things just from being in different areas of the country. I'm a newer resident of North Carolina and people think I have two heads when I tell them I've never made grits. They don't understand, I was born in the Northeast and raised in Florida! It's just something I didn't do. The people I knew in Florida that had grits had connections to the South. I know Florida is in the South, but here's how I see it. Florida is the only state in which you have to head north to get to 'The South.'

How about when people go to France, and they need to ask for ice in their sodas? Otherwise, you'll just get a room temp coca cola! A couple years back I went to visit family in Colombia. I was at a restaurant and had a burger and my aunt who lived there freaked out because I ate the burger with my fingers. How else are we supposed to eat them? I looked around to see people staring at me, they were using forks and knives for burgers! I turned to my aunt and told her that they were the crazy ones and that an American knows the right way to eat an American staple!
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
Sophie Cullen
Wandering Through Town

Post by Sophie Cullen »

I'm from Wyoming.

~We don't all live on ranches.
~We aren't all cowboys.
~We don't all ride horses.

Yeah, I think that's about all the things I've ever had people assume. I do live across from a huge pasture though. They have about 5 horses. I've never ridden one though.
~Supporting Stephenie Meyer 100% Of The Way~
~Midnight Sun Virgin~
mrsedwardcullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by mrsedwardcullen »

I love reading all the posts about different countries. I didn't even know some of these stereotypes existed! I have always wanted to travel to Australia, so those of you from there are SOOO lucky (in my book anyway).

A few things about Arizona:

1) Just because we live here, doesn't mean we live near the Grand Canyon
2) I have actually only been to the Grand Canyon once in my life- and that was just recently
3) Phoenix is one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S.- no tumbleweed here
4) I actually have seen tumbleweed rolling across the highway on my way to Tucson though
5) People here use cars, trucks and SUVs to get around, no wild west trains or cowboys on horses here
6) There really are ghost towns here, you just have to drive a bit to get there
7) Just because you see a bridge, don't assume there's water anywhere near
8) The pavement really does get mushy from being too hot
9) Monsoon season is really the best time of year, clouds make me smile :P
"You're awfully small to be so hugely irritating."
— Edward
aprilshowers
Settled in Forks

Post by aprilshowers »

Murphy wrote:Well, I live it Scotland so it's pretty different to most places. I found out a while ago that as well as English being our language, Scots is also considered a language now. We have different words that the rest of Britian like "Bairns" or "Wains" for children etc. It's strange seeing the differences just in Britian, never mind the world!
I also found out that there are different names for certain brands or games here. I heard our game Cluedo is just called Clue in America. Or the crisps brand Walkers here is called Lays in other places around the world.
And I have no idea what Chicken Salt is or Tim Tams.

And for the record, Scots don't run around it kilts, playing bagpipes, eating haggis and reciting Robert Burns. We also don't all have ginger hair. :lol:
And I never thought of Australian's like that. The steryotype I mean. :D
I am from Scotland as well and I thought I'd add a couple of things.

- When we go the fish and chip shop (which is commonly known as the chippy) when get salt AND sauce on our chips not salt and vinegar.
-Haggis is NOT an animal of any type.
-No-one Scottish says Auch-Aye-The-Noo.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

Elizabeth...
I just had my first grits this week. I told the waitress I wanted to try them (they look scary to me still) and I think the entire restaurant looked at me like I was from Mars!

NC is definitely much different than Michigan!

P.S. I've never heard of chicken salt either but it sounds good!
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

Haggis is NOT an animal of any type.
My husband has an obsession with haggis, he just had a whole case shipped to our house. What is it exactly?
manda87
Settled in Forks

Post by manda87 »

Im from southern california and there are a lot of people who think we're all snobs who drive crazy in really expensive cars and high school girls all have nose jobs, but not all of us our like that...my friends from the east coast sent me a paper of you know your from california when...so ill put up the ones i find are true

* You were born somewhere else.
* You know how to eat an artichoke.
* More than clothes come out of the closets.
* Rainstorms or thunder are the lead story for the local news.
* When all highways into the state say: "no fruits."
* A low speed police pursuit will interrupt ANY TV broadcast.
* Gas costs $1.00 per gallon more than anywhere else in the U. S
* Unlike back home, the guy at 8:30am at Starbucks wearing the baseball cap and sunglasses who looks like George Clooney really IS George Clooney.
* It's barely sprinkling rain and there's a report on every news station: "STORM WATCH 2008."
* The Terminator is your governor!
*Getting anywhere from point A to point B, no matter what the distance, takes about “twenty minutes”.
*You know what “In-’N-Out” is and feel bad for all the other states because they don’t have any.
*You don’t stop at a STOP sign, you do a California Roll.
*You know who the tinsel underwear dude in Venice Beach is.
*You call 911 and they put you on hold.

I also lived in boston (where I swear it kills people to use their turn signals and "masshole" is a common phrase) so ill put some of those up too.

You think it's your God-given right to cut someone off in traffic.
You think three straight days of 90+ temperatures is a heatwave.
You don't think you have an attitude.
You always 'bang a left' as soon as the light turns green, and oncoming traffic always expects it.
You believe using your turn signal is a sign of weakness.
You don't realize that you walk and talk twice as fast as everyone else.
Your favorite adjective is "wicked."

BASIC RULES FOR DRIVING IN BOSTON:

When on a one way street, stay to the right to allow oncoming traffic to pass.
*Never, ever, stop for a pedestrian unless he flings himself under the wheels of your car.
*The first parking space you see will be the last parking space you see. Grab it.
*Double park in the North End of Boston, unless triple parking is available.
*Learn to swerve abruptly. Boston is the home of slalom driving, thanks to the Registry of Motor Vehicles, which puts potholes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them on their toes.
Never get in the way of a car that needs extensive bodywork.
*Honk your horn the instant the light changes.
*Breakdown lanes are not for breaking down, but for speeding, especially during rush hour. Breakdown lanes may also end without warning causing traffic jams as people merge back in.
*Whenever possible, stop in the middle of a crosswalk to ensure inconveniencing as many pedestrians as possible. And if a pedestrian ahead of you steps in the road, speed up loudly and chase him back up on the curb. Peds have no rights.
"To every word of love I heard you whisper, the raindrops seem to play a sweet refrain.”