A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Waking Up

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel? No, it made sense because when Edward left, he took her heart with her.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not? No, because the sun on the water would remind Bella of Edward, and who knows what would happen.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship? Jessica doesn't see past the outside. No, she wasn't a good choice because Jessica is a HUGE gossip. This messed up their friendship because Bella was acting so strangely.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger? I thought it was really him. I thought that she should have resorted with something else rather than putting herself in danger. She should have done something else that would have made Edward mad.....like......DATING MIKE NEWTON!!!! (I'm shuddering just at the thought)
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
lilmisstrouble
Location: Isle of Esme. Between feathers and broken headboards.

Post by lilmisstrouble »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?
Not at all surprised. Anyone who has ever had their heart severely broken/been dumped/ lost someone they loved, can easily relate to that. Besides, Edward is the real thing. The soul mate. So the dude who comes up to her and says "you are my life now" bails on her. For all she knew, that's what he did - he took off and left her high and dry in the woods, well not technically dry because it's Forks, but I digress. I disagree when people argue against that and say "oh but he didn't really leave". Oh, yes he did. That was his plan. He changed his mind, but yeah, the plan was to leave for good. And that hurts like a mother, of course.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?
From Bella's perspective I disagreed because staying in Forks would be her last drop of hope that she could carry. If he were to return, for whatever miraculous reason, she would still be there waiting. Now if it were me, I would've gotten the hell out of there. The least amount of memories I could carry on with me, the better. Sometimes when it's over, you just gotta go with the clean cut route. And the reason why Charlie wanted her to be close to her mom is because her relationship with Renee is more of a best friend than a parent. And Charlie felt powerless. Who can blame him?

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?
She chose Jess because Jessica is so self-centered that she wouldn't worry too much about Bella to ask questions or mention the E name. Bella wasn't ready to talk about her breakup yet and so she just wanted an easy escape to prove Charlie that she was doing better. Obviously her relationship with Jess didn't progress much after that fiasco of a girls' night out. Jess probably thought Bella was a little on the weird side to begin with. After walking out on a movie and being strangely drawn to serial rapists standing outside of a random bar, I'm sure Bella didn't climb any higher on the social skills ladder for Jess.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
Oh I was hoping it was his voice! I had NO idea. Just like Edward can read minds, maybe they had some strange psychic sync with each other - or at least that's what I thought.
Her solution to put herself in danger was romantic, I must say. Stupid, yes. Reckless, yes. But then again, she was also going out of her way to break her promise she made to Edward. And that was just a coping mechanism for her.
"Does my being half-naked bother you?"
Yes, please take the other half off. xoxo

http://www.whatwouldedwardcullendo.blogspot.com
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?

No, actually. She was in a void, trying to keep the pain away. She and Edward were each others first and true loves and that is way harder to get over than a first crush. I felt really badly for her--most of us have probably been where she was, if not to the same extent.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?

I kind of agreed with Charlie. From his point of view, he was trying to distance her from the source/place of hurt, he didn't know what else he could do. I don't think it would've worked though.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?

I think that Jessica was the perfect choice because Bella wouldn't have to put much into the interaction--Jess is just self-centered enough that she would have the lion's share of the conversation. Angela would have been too hard because she's too observant and kind and would want to try to help Bella feel better--Bella wasn't into feeling right then. I think that Bella's actions strained the relationship because Jessica was just out for a normal, fun time and Bella kind of showed a darkness that really scared her.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?

At first I did think that Edward was really there, but then I soon realized that he couldn't read Bella and he didn't have the gift of putting his thoughts into other's minds. I thought that Bella was a bit over the edge with her extreme sports/danger solution, I mean the girl is a walking accident waiting to happen as it is. But, I could understand her need, her addiction for Edward. He was just as much like a personal brand of heroin for her as she was to him. That kind of love, need is almost impossible to give up.
Last edited by 4everklutzy on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~no, i knew it had to be painful. :(

~no, i liked the atmosphere of forks, so i wanted her to stay.

~ she wouldnt have to talk much, because Jess does all teh talking for her.

~ i really thought it was his voice. i liked her solution because i wanted to hear edwards voice more.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
bellaandedward23
Settled in Forks

Post by bellaandedward23 »

I wasn't really surprised because Bella was surounded by Edward for pretty much the whole time, I felt depressed when Edward said he didn't want to be with Bella.

No, just because she was moping around all the time waiting for Edward she should just go home to her mom, that doesn't sound right she could try to hang out with her friends again. Like when she hung out with Jacob.

Because in the book it said that she was the first person she thought of when she wanted to have a girls night out. I actually think that Angela would have been a better choice. Because I think that Angela would have supported Bella more about not talking to them, because she was depressed that Edward left. Now that Bella all of a sudden decideds to have her friends back in her life after not talking to her in like forever it would have been hard for Bella's friends to talk to her again.

I think that it was just her mind but she thought that it was edward's because she hung out with her so much and his last words her be safe for charlie, and besides that she probably heard edwards voice because she knew that edward had never stopped loving her after all. Because she still loved Edward and Edward still loved her so when she did dangerous things since she knew way deep down that edward still loved her she could hear his voice.
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

Bella and Edward got so close so fast, that this didn't surprise me at all. He took a piece of her heart and soul away with him when he left. Losing that much of yourself would make anyone feel numb and make life seem dull. I think I was just as depressed reading about it as she was living it.

No, I don't think Bella should have gone to live with her mother. Running away from her feelings wouldn't help anything. Even if she had been better for a while, her feelings would have caught up with her eventually and she would have been back to square one. If I had been Charlie I probably would have insisted that Bella get back to her life much sooner than he actually did. I understand she was upset, and I don't blame her. However, I think she needed a good swift kick in the butt to help her get some normalcy back.

I think she picked Jessica because Jessica is so self absorbed. Jessica wouldn't ask Bella too many questions and would just want to talk about herself. Bella wouldn't have to deal with more than she was ready for at this point by hanging out with Jessica. I think Jess was a good choice for Bella's reasoning. But, I think Angela would have been a better choice. Angela would have been more supportive and understanding of Bella. She would have listened if Bella needed to talk, or just hung out if that is what Bella needed. Jessica is self-absorbed and a gossip so this definetly had a negative effect on their relationship.

I figured she was just hearing things in her head becuase if she had really heard him, everyone else would have heard him too. And, if he had been close enough for Bella and everyone else to hear him, then he would have done something to stop/save her. I thought her solution was both fair and insanely stupid lol. It was fair for her to break her promise to him, because he broke his promise to stay with her. However, putting herself in danger was simply stupid.
scarlet_forever

Post by scarlet_forever »

I felt really bad and sad for her. Especially, when Charlie said...it's been months..no calls or letters. That hit hard. Still wanted to kill Edward for all that. lol. I was like how could you????

I did in the parenting sense, but I could also understand why Bella would want to stay. But if Edward did decide to come back and she went to Florida, it's not like he wouldn't be able to find her. ;)

I think she chose Jess b/c Jess talks alot and it doesn't involve Bella having to talk alot. I think she should have chose Angela, but then Angela would have probably expected her to talk some...so really no one seems like a good choice. I def. think she weirded Jess out for good!!

I pretty much knew it was in her head. I do think she is crazy for putting herself in danger like that, but it shows she really loves him and how messed up her world is w/o him.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

I had a hard time relating to her just shutting down like that. I was surprised that she was so totally gone. I felt bad for Bella, but also frustrated because I didn't understand how she could just go into herself like that.

Yes. The happiness she felt when she was with her mom was second only to the happiness she felt w/ Edward. It seemed like a good idea for her to try to recapture some of that particular happiness.

Like a lot of teenage girls (including myself when I was a teenager), Jessica has a hard time seeing beyond her own perspective. Bella chose Jessica because she was safe -- she wouldn't ask any hard questions and certainly wouldn't notice if Bella didn't talk much. For this reason, Jessica was a good choice. I think this event drove them apart in a way.

I thought it was just in her head. She'd just woken up from a living coma, so hearing voices (esp his voice) didn't seem too far off her mental state. I thought it was kind of "typical Bella" for her to continue to put herself in danger to feel closer to Edward.

Image Image Image
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?

1)No. Empty, cold, lifeless - just like her. Understandable.

2)No. Because Renee' and her location would not have helped Bella. Bella needed to stay in Forks because it was the only thing she could hold on to that kept Edward real to her.

3)Jess was an incessant talker and that would keep Bella from having to answer needless questions about herself.
Who knows. Changed it permanently.

4)I actually thought that maybe he had some supernatural gift that maybe he could feel her or see her, then you read a little further and realize it is just her subconscious wanting to hear him.
Stupid, but for Bella, I'm not surprised.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel? I was a little I just didn't expect her to so incredibly depressed and lifeless.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not? I kind of did because I thought it could only help.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship? Because Jess is very self absorbed and it's all about me and would talk a lot and Bella wouldn't have to do too much. I don't know if it was a good choice because it kind of affected their friendship for good.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger? I didn't think it was really him. I was surprised by her decision to try to hear his voice more & putting herself in danger. It's really stupid who knows what could happen?
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson