Chapter 7: Unexpected

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 7: Unexpected

Post by Alphie »

Many thanks to Greenmom for her help with this one.

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella?

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy?

3. Was the pregnancy as unexpected for you as it was for Bella and Edward?

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs?
allieb
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Chapter 7: Unexpected

Post by allieb »

woww... good questions!!
well i have NOT had kids yet... thank goodness. (i'm a bit young)

well if i'll answer the ones i can!
2) i would probably act like bella. i would know that no matter what, the person i am commited to wouldn't let anything happen to me, and i would take comfort in that. plus, i think it makes (in their case) their relationship more real because it like creates this incredibly tight bond between them, and i would love to have that with someone too!

i dont know if that made sense at all... my mind is a really crazy place to try and figure things out!!

3) nope. i kinda figured something like that would happen. i thought that it was a good twist. now im not saying i had it completely pinned as to what was going to happen... but i had my vague hunches.
Last edited by allieb on Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E<3B .::. APPC-Team Alice .::. Sheila Delucci- Mafia .::. RANDIE REGULAR SINCE #11
He's just going to get ruined by women. .::. Where's Efron?.::. QUADRUPLETS: Syd Nar & Cocoa
Imagine
Settled in Forks

Post by Imagine »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella?
NO KIDS

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy?
If we were that committed, I think it would work out pretty good in the end. He's willing to do so much for her and vise versa, so why wouldn't it work?

Yes! I had totally written that off as crazy fan fiction plot line fodder! I couldn't believe it any more than they did!!

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs?
Yes! It's her baby, and he was just worrying about her health in the first place. She already knew that the baby was more important than she was. Edward just needed to learn that both were as important as the other.
Team Edward :D I made my own icon!
tiffanyh
Settled in Forks

Post by tiffanyh »

My reactions were basically the same. Before I had my daughter, I didn't think anything about being a mother other than maybe some day wanting it. Once I got pregnant, it became the center of my life... the person I would protect at all costs.

I'm going to answer this anyways because I have an opinion... even though it was unexpected, they were already married. So I would assume they would face it together.

Totally. 110%. And I was just as terrified as Edward.

Being a mother, I can understand her need to protect the baby. But, being a wife, I think she could have made a better effort to see it his way. I don't know. Bella acted how Bella needed to act. I don't think it was wrong, really. Just Bella.
Isabella Swan? I promise to love you forever — every single day of forever. Will you marry me?
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 20, p.460
TEAM EDWARD!
geminitwin
Settled in Forks

Post by geminitwin »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella? NA

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy? I would be nervous but happy. She has a loving partner who has the ability to give her everything their family could ever want or need.

3. Was the pregnancy as unexpected for you as it was for Bella and Edward? Not really

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs? Bella didn't understand the reason for Edward's reaction before being defensive. Edward was clearly not communicating with her well enough to help her understand his end of the deal. He was in too much shock and fear to snap out of it to help her understand. It is not like anyone had any idea what this might mean since it had never happened to others like this before. I cannot blame Bella for her wanting to protect the baby, she was just a little uninformed and tends to romanticize everything before seeing the reality of it.
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

I'm only 15, no kids.

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy? Depends on the situation. If i was the same age i am now, fifteen, i would be extremely upset and not want the baby because i know im not ready for kids yet, regardless of the relationship im in. However, if i was older, like mid 20s, than I would probably be okay with the pregnancy.

3. Was the pregnancy as unexpected for you as it was for Bella and Edward? Yes! I couldn't believe it; it was like a bad fanfiction all over again.

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs? I think they both should have talked about the situation before either of them decided on what they were going to do. I thought the discord was mainly because of a severe lack of communication between the two. Edward right away assumed what bella wanted, and Bella never told Edward what she actually wanted-he found out from rosalie.
girlvampsfan
Settled in Forks

Post by girlvampsfan »

4) Yes! I think it was right because she knew what she was getting her self into and she wanted to do it. And even if she didn't at the begining they could have done something when she did. So if she wanted to put her life on the line Edward she try and warn her and then let her do what she feels is right. It's her life mor than it's Edward's ( no matter what he says). :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
3) unfortunally no. My friends are evil they went and told me Bella gets pregnate. The only unexpected part was when. :cry: :cry:
2) If I was 12 about to be 13 like I am now then I would keep the baby and face the consiquinces. I wouldn't be happy with the fact that I was pregnate but i think once the baby was born i would deal with the probles that come with her/him.(Don't worry if I keep doin what I'm doing I won't be pregnate ANY time soon.) :? :| :o
elizabethswan19
Settled in Forks

Post by elizabethswan19 »

I just turned 19 so I'm very close in age to how old Bella was when she found out that she was pregnant. That being said, if I was in the position that Bella is in (married, graduated from high school, with someone who has enough money to support a family so I didn’t need a college education or a job...) I would be ecstatic. I’ll admit at first I would probably be very scared and nervous because at this age / point in my life I'm not thinking about having kids or being a mother. But if I was in that relationship and I found out I was pregnant and that it was happening and I was going to have a baby and be a mother I would realize I wanted it once it was really truly happening.

I was about 95% sure that she was pregnant when she didn’t like the chicken. She had just woken up from that dream about the baby again and her appetite was different. When she got sick I was 100% sure that it was morning sickness and that she was pregnant. After they confirmed that she was pregnant I knew it all mad sense; the strange dreams and eating and sleeping patterns, her fierce need to be with Edward, the sickness, etc,... I think it was more unexpected for them because they didn’t think she could get pregnant because they assumed Edward couldn’t reproduce because no vampire couple ever had. As readers we are on the outside and we know that anything is possible so it was easy to figure out...for me at least.

This is a difficult question because I have never been in this situation so I can’t really relate. I personally don’t think Bella was wrong. Bella loves Edward so much and she honestly thinks that he is perfect so she automatically thinks that any child of his would also be perfect, not a monster that could hurt or kill her. She wasn’t thinking about herself really while Edward was. I think she was more focused on the perfect baby to worry about what Edward thinks will happen to her. Also Edward just jumped into protector mode and he didn’t tell her that he didn’t think this was a good thing so she didn’t know he felt that way.
mitsukia
Settled in Forks

Post by mitsukia »

I don't have kids =3

Umm... I would be nervous at first but if the be happy that I have someone that I know will support me in whatever situation as Edward

eh.. not really I kind of saw it coming already lolz

A baby is part of the mother and when you know that you are caring the fruit of your love within you you would protect no matter the cost as we saw Bella do. She did do the right thing in protecting her unborn child first but I think she should have heard Edward's needs because he was terrified for her life and safety since having children with a vampire was unheard off. =3
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

I don't have any kids.

That is hard to say. Some things you can never predict how you will feel. I would just take things as they come. If I had an unexpected pregnancy, then I guess I would still be happy about it or I would sit down to consider options and talk it over with my guy.

I don't know. I think I wasn't expecting her to get pregnant but then I thought about him agreeing to do the deed before she was changed so I thought something had to happen along those lines.

Well, the saying is that the child always comes first. But that circumstance was so hard to deal with so it is hard to say.