Tim Burton movies

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
AnaBanana
Wandering Through Town
Location: Stuck in a deadbeat town in the middle of nowhere...

Re: Tim Burton movies

Post by AnaBanana »

I love Tim Burton movies. I've seen all of them except for Coraline... No one will go with me. :( Its a tie between Nightmare Before Christmas and Sweeney Todd for my favorite. But I'm way excited for Alice in Wonderland. Another year is to long to wait!
These volent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which as they kiss consume.

~Romeo & Juliet
edwardlikeshaystacks
Often Mistaken for a Bear

Post by edwardlikeshaystacks »

Ana, I saw Coraline yesterday and it did not disappoint in giving me an eerie creeped out feeling that no cartoon should but I loved it! The 3D bit was crazy, everything was just jumping out at you.

Wait, they're remaking Alice in Wonderland?
Team Quil: Clove Ottawa
Emmaline-Jane: is the "Toph" of Lexicalia.
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

edwardlikeshaystacks wrote: Wait, they're remaking Alice in Wonderland?
Yep :) Johnny Depp is playing the Mad Hatter, Helena Bonham Carter is playing the Red Queen, Anne Hathaway is playing the White Queen; and Alan Rickman is playing the Caterpillar. According to various websites, anyway.
I also heard that they're going to use CGI or something and make Helena's head three times as big as normal :lol: this film is set to be amazing, with that cast and that director.

But then amazing wouldn't be a new thing when it comes to Tim Burton films, would it? The man is a genius. The Nightmare Before Christmas has to be my favourite Burton film, but Beetlejuice makes me all warm and fuzzy inside too, and Sweeney Todd was AMAZING.
I just saw the Batman that he directed the other day for the first time. The Joker scared the bejeebies out of me, but it was an amazing film. More colourful than the new one, I think, and the new one was cool enough!
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
edwardlikeshaystacks

There's a white queen? *thinks back to movie* was that included in the book?

Oh snap, Tim Burton did Beetlejuice? No wonder. That movie scared the bajeebies out of me.
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

edwardlikeshaystacks wrote:There's a white queen? *thinks back to movie* was that included in the book?
The white queen and the red queen are included in the sequel to Alice, that is Through the Looking Glass. Most of the characters in the movies are usually taken from Through the Looking Glass: Tweedledum and Twedledee, the speaking flowers, Humpty Dumpty. The queen in Alice in Wonderland is actually the Queen of Hearts who plays croquet with Alice, while the red and the white queen play chess.
The books are wonderful, I highly recommend them. If you don't want to read the books I suggest the BBC version of Alice: it shows only the events in the first book but it's a faithful representation of the actual Alice in Wonderland plot.

Regarding Tim Burton, I must say I agree with all of you: he's a genius! I absolutely adore his movies, even the minor ones such as Ed Wood. I cannot wait to see Coraline...
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

edwardlikeshaystacks

I think I actually have the looking glass sitting somewhere on my bookcase. Oh! I highly recommend seeing Coraline, most definitely. It never ceases to give you a good chill down your spine. :)
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

before reading the posts on this thread I didn't realize I had seen almost all of his movies, crazy!

the only ones I really like are Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, and Beetlejuice.

never been a fan of the Nightmare Before Christmas. and I didn't like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which surprised me, I though that I would.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Well, pennybug84, I think I understand you...Tim Burton's movies are more "difficult" than one might think. They're not the classical hollywood blockbusters, though they are big productions. Ed Wood or Mars Attacks are very strange and many don't like them.

Since I've noticed nobody has mentioned it, is there anybody who likes Ed Wood?
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

jonsgirljen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by jonsgirljen »

I have to say that my fiance and I are both huge Tim Burton fans! I know that everyone else has already said it, but he is a genius! There really isn't another word for him...his movies are amazing...so dark and mysterious. I loved his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Sweeney Todd! They were both amazing...it's been a long time since I've seen The Nightmare Before Christmas, but I remember liking it...he's just awesome!

I can't wait to Alice in Wonderland...I didn't even know that he was doing it until today...but I'm gonna see it now. Anytime that you put Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, and Helena Bonham Carter together...it turns out amazing!
DarkMuse
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion
Location: In 'The Corner' of Rob's Halfway House mumbling about cookies and unicorns.

Post by DarkMuse »

How is it that I never knew this thread existed? I need to take my head out of Rob's backside for a minute and take a look around at the world. :lol:

Tim Burton is by far my favorite director. Tim + Johnny + Helena = magic. I freaking love all of his's movies (the ones I've seen) and I cannot wait for Alice In Wonderland. He has a very warped sense of humor and I completely dig it because so do I. Lol. Yeah he does use Johnny alot and I'm more than ok with that. Johnny is my favorite actor next to Rob. Actually, until Rob came along, Johnny was my number one absolute favorite actor of all time from the age of 10. Oh wait, this is a Tim Burton thread. My bad. Lol. Tim pwns all!

Just saw the picture of Johnny as the Mad Hatter. *squee* I'm so friggin excited!
Rob's Halfway House Resident » Cullenist » HHBS Member » Monkey Junkie
╰☆╮ Nikki is the TomStu to my Rob ╰☆╮