Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Heart_in_Hand
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Carlisle Cullen

Post by Heart_in_Hand »

Lightwish wrote:am still dying to know Carlisles story....who made him, what he was as a human at the time and why he has no powers. Maybe he does have powers and just has shown them in the book yet...I dont know.
I believe this is all explained in Twilight. There is an entire chapter dedicated to Carlise's story.

--EDIT--

I just checked Twilight, and it is chapter 16. The title of the chapter is "Carlisle".
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."
.xLostWayx.
Settled in Forks

Post by .xLostWayx. »

LIKE, OMC CMO CARLISLE! I shall own this thread (or, in NON proper english, PWN!)

Carlisle, in my eyes is the awesomest vampire EVA! (Felix trailing close behind) :lol:

Carlisle's story is pretty cool. I loved it! :geek:
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

Carlisle needs some love!

Which of his "children" do you think that Carlisle favors second to Edward and why?

(Sorry, kind of a lame question but its all I can come up with right now :oops: )
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

roseaurora wrote:Carlisle needs some love!

Which of his "children" do you think that Carlisle favors second to Edward and why?

(Sorry, kind of a lame question but its all I can come up with right now :oops: )
That's a good question, in which the answer is not coming to me. I can't even make a good educated guess but I know its Alice for Esme.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
roseaurora

Post by roseaurora »

An answer isn't really coming to me either. I can't think of any place in any of the books where he seemed to favor one of the other "kids" over the rest... hmmmmm...

The best I can do is maybe eliminate Jasper from the running.. I don't think Carlisle is as closely bonded to Jasper as he is to the others.

I also might eliminate Rosalie... while I think Carlisle is understanding of where she comes from when she treats Bella so poorly in Twilight, I think that it disappointed him that she wasn't willing to help protect Bella. Just seems like the two of them clash in profound ways, with Carlisle being so compassionate and humble and Rosalie being so self centered at times.
I ♥ my Lexily!
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

I don't think Carlisle has a favorite child, he might have a soft spot for Edward, because he's the eldest, but that's about it.

I disagree that Jasper could be eliminated from the running; I think Carlisle and Jasper would bond because they both have an almost innate calm, and Carlisle would respect Jasper greatly because of the continual effort he puts forth to be good, to keep up with the lifestyle, when he could so easily turn his back on it.
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
roseaurora

Post by roseaurora »

I'm getting some of these ideas out of what I've read in the PC. While I think that Carlisle and Jasper have a deep respect for each other, I don't think there is a father/son relationship between them, and if there is, it isn't nearly as strong as it is for the others, that is why I would eliminate him:
PC #2:
Jasper is the most "vampire-y" of the Cullens, and, while he’s fond of them all, he’s not bonded to them the way the rest of them are. The way Alice most definitely is.
And the idea that they prefer Edward comes out of the PCs as well:
PC#7:
Q. Does Esme have a favorite son or daughter? (What about Carlisle?)

A: Esme and Carlisle love all their "children" in different ways, but they both have a soft spot for Edward because he was with them first, and he’s such a deeply good person. The others are good, too, but Edward is special. And I’m not just saying that because I’m in love with him.

So, that is what I was going off of with my question.
I ♥ my Lexily!
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

I agree with roseaurora. I also read the Personal Correspondence, so that might be why. I thought SM made it pretty clear that Edward was the favorite for both Esme and Carlisle. As Roseaurora already pointed, out there are some quotes in the PC. In the outtake from NM (available on SM's website) where Rosalie calls Edward to tell him Bella is dead, she says Edward is Esme and Carlisle's favorite and they've both been miserable without him. Some of the conversations Edward had with Esme and Carlisle in NM, particularly when he was trying to decide whether or not to leave so he wouldn't hurt Bella, really showed how deep the connection and bond was. As far as Jasper, I also agree and would have pointed out the exact same PC quote roseaurora already did. Additionally, Bella mentioned that she got the feeling Jasper only stayed with the Cullens because of Alice. And, in BD, Esme was gushing over Alice when they returned, but no one really acted excited to see Jasper. I love Jasper, so that is not a criticism, it just goes to show that he was not as bonded with the family. So anyway my order of favorite children for Carlisle would be: Edward, Alice, Emmet, Rosalie. I excluded Jasper because I do not think they have a father/son bond, although they both care about each other and do have alot in common. For Esme: Edward, Alice, Rosalie, Emmet. Again, same goes for Jasper. But as compassionate and kind as Carlisle is and as sweet and nurturing as Esme is, I really doubt the difference is very noticeable; they are both caring and wonderful to all of the Cullens.

Do you think Carlisle and Esme view Bella as their child, on equal ground with the others? I know they liked her, cared about her, did a lot for her (protecting her numerous times, etc). But, did they view her as THEIRS or just as Edward's wife who they cared about and would do anything for IN ORDER TO KEEP EDWARD HAPPY? Before Esme met Bella, I think she encouraged Edward to kill her if that was the only way he could stay with the family; she didn't want him to leave them in order to protect Bella even if it meant Bella would die.
Heart_in_Hand
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Heart_in_Hand »

eclipserox wrote:Do you think Carlisle and Esme view Bella as their child, on equal ground with the others? I know they liked her, cared about her, did a lot for her (protecting her numerous times, etc). But, did they view her as THEIRS or just as Edward's wife who they cared about and would do anything for IN ORDER TO KEEP EDWARD HAPPY? Before Esme met Bella, I think she encouraged Edward to kill her if that was the only way he could stay with the family; she didn't want him to leave them in order to protect Bella even if it meant Bella would die.
I think at first they accepted Bella because she made Edward happy, and they wanted him to be happy. However, once they met Bella, and later on when they understood the depth and severity of the bond the two shared, I believe they began to see Bella as their daughter... and love her as such.

Bella was the other half to Edward's whole. Both Esme and Carlisle knew that, and wanted her to be safe and happy too. I don't know how to explain it, but Bella and Edward became unseperable... you could not care for and love one without also caring for and loving the other.

This goes back to the conversation we had awhile ago about Carlisle's opinion on Bella's pregnancy and the abortion. Was he for it because he didn't want Bella to die... and if so why? Because he loved her and wanted her to live, or because he wanted Edward to be happy and not loose Bella? Same concept I think...

In retrospect... Carlisle could also support the abortion because he himself was afraid of what it would be... but somehow I can't see him being so...selfcentered? I think whatever it was, he was more concerned about the others than about his own fears or apprehensions.
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I don't know that I can agree completely that Edward is necessarily Carlisle and Esme's favorite. I too have read the PC, and absolutely believe that they have a special affection for Edward as the "eldest" but also as the youngest (he is chronologically youngest of all of the siblings). And, as SM points out, he is naturally a good person and a leader. But, I don't think that is neccesarily the same thing. I guess I define "favorite" as giving him special treatment, an inequality in affection shown etc.. But, I think, in Esme and Carlisle's case, they are parents who are truly able love each of their children as individuals; communicate and support each one equally in a way that is appropriate for each of their personalities. And, it is for that reason that I think they consider Jasper to be just as much one of their children as Edward or Alice or Rose or Emmett.

I think it might appear to us as readers that Edward is their favorite particularly because of the circumstances under which we see them interacting. Edward has been unattached for so long, to the point of worrying Esme that he is missing an essential part of his adult make up because he was so young when he was turned. And, he is the child with the greatest needs during the time we get to watch their life unfold. So, it is natural that we would see Esme and Carlisle working hardest to help him, to support him. But, for example, I think the same would be seen of their support and help for Jasper after the birthday party, but we don't get to see that.

As for where Bella fits into the mix, I think they view her as a daughter, not a daughter-in-law. I agree with Heart_In_Hand that Bella was truly the other half to Edward, and that is how they came to know her. But, just as they did with Emmett and Jasper, they very quickly came to know and love Bella for being Bella, not the other half of Edward. That certainly enhanced the package. But, again, I see Esme and Carlisle as parents whose children are each unique gifts to them to be loved as individuals.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS