Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Sleepwalker
Settled in Forks

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Post by Sleepwalker »

ShinyNewVolvoOwner wrote:
sarah! wrote:I'm scared because I didn't think the Golden Compass was very good and did not relate to the book that much. I really really hope he doesn't do that with New Moon.
I think that the reason the Golden Compass was not faithful to the book was because the studio was afraid of how the public would take the religious connotations. In His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman made it pretty clear that he's not a fan of God. In the last book, God is killed. So I think that the studio believed (and they're probably right) that the parents would be concerned about what kind of message that is to their children. Even without staying faithful to the book I've heard from a few Moms that they were still concerned about taking thier kids to see the movie. So as I understand it, Weitz would've loved to make a faithful adaptation from book to movie. I think that with New Moon he can have his chance!
Just to clarify, they don't kill God. In Amber Spyglass, They kill an ancient angel who pretended to be God. This angel was tricking everyone to believe he was God because the real God wasn't around. Have to point this out because people always mix up the details on what happened in the book.
Anyways...the movie was nothing like the book, but I still enjoyed the movie nonetheless. Great directing and graphics too.
BiteMeRob
Settled in Forks

Post by BiteMeRob »

I'm not really sure what to expect... I mean, I loved the way Catherine Hardwicke directed Twilight. I thought all the close-ups and generally the way it was done was fantastic. I hope it doesn't change too much in New Moon. Although I've heard good things about Chris Weitz.
Because of Edward Cullen, human boys have lost their charm.
Thanks Stephenie Meyer! Now I'll never find a man.
Devious Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Devious Cullen »

I did like the Golden Compass, but it's one of those movies that is just special effects overload, and just so... bright and... fake. Is the best I can come up with. I can't explain it in my current tired state.

I don't want that for New Moon. I hope it isn't too much different from the way Twilight was shot. Because one, I like the way Catherine shot it, though there is room for improvement too. But two, if it comes out and is hugely different it will be stupid. There needs to be continuity. Of course there will need to be effects for the wolves, and again for the Vamps, but no more than that. Nothing too elaborate. Don't overload.
louise
Wandering Through Town

Post by louise »

Does anyone know if Chris W is going to do Twilight Tuesdays? I don't see anything on MTV's site about it. Thanks.
TopazLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by TopazLove »

Devious Cullen wrote:I did like the Golden Compass, but it's one of those movies that is just special effects overload, and just so... bright and... fake. Is the best I can come up with. I can't explain it in my current tired state.

I don't want that for New Moon. I hope it isn't too much different from the way Twilight was shot. Because one, I like the way Catherine shot it, though there is room for improvement too. But two, if it comes out and is hugely different it will be stupid. There needs to be continuity. Of course there will need to be effects for the wolves, and again for the Vamps, but no more than that. Nothing too elaborate. Don't overload.
I get what you are saying, but I think the vamps need to be a bit more polished. :D
soozabooza54
Frozen in Time

Post by soozabooza54 »

I was really impressed with Peter Fac's story about the "stitches" scene in New Moon - that it originally wasn't in the script, but CW said it was important so wrote it for the movie. I love that scene, so I'm excited that he valued it too. :)
E<3B
My pop culture blog - check it out! - http://asyetuntitled1.blogspot.com/
shortstuff
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by shortstuff »

soozabooza54 wrote:I was really impressed with Peter Fac's story about the "stitches" scene in New Moon - that it originally wasn't in the script, but CW said it was important so wrote it for the movie. I love that scene, so I'm excited that he valued it too. :)
yeah man, CW went up like 10 notches in my book when i heard peter say that.. i'm feeling much more optimistic knowing that he thinks scenes like that are important to the movie and took the time to even write it himself to make sure it was included and done right...
ShinyNewVolvoOwner
Settled in Forks

Post by ShinyNewVolvoOwner »

louise wrote:Does anyone know if Chris W is going to do Twilight Tuesdays? I don't see anything on MTV's site about it. Thanks.
:o What is Twilight Tuesdays?!?!?! sounds intriguing :mrgreen:
and so the lion fell in love with the lamb...
Bastet

Post by Bastet »

join the dark side, we have cookies :)

Devious Cullen

Post by Devious Cullen »

Uhm, I am sceptical.

But if it is true, that is pretty unfair for the cast. They all, or most atleast, already have other jobs lined up that they'd be looking forward to - and have to just drop. Very short notice for them. I am super excited for these movies, but I think a year between each is still awesome.