A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
saturnsugar16
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by saturnsugar16 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

I did relate to her pretty quickly. I am also a very mature person with absolutely no athletic ability and not a whole lot of fashion sense.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?

I was a little surprised that Renee would choose to go to baseball games instead of hanging out with her daughter. My mother would have done the opposite, so I was a little surprised. I do think Renee loves Bella but she is just a little immature for her age. Charlie reminded me a lot of my own dad. Not one to get too involved in things unless it was necessary. Charlie lets Bella have the space she needs but is happy to help her out, like with buying her the truck.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?

I thought most of the guys were just interested in her because she was something new to look at. Jessica only seemed interested in Bella because she wanted to share in some of Bella's spotlight. Angela seemed the most genuin to me. She seemed like the type of person I would want to meet on my first day at a new school.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?

I was definetly intrigued.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?

I thought maybe he was extremely stuck up and didn't want anything to do with the ordinary new girl. However, that also seemed strange because he had never met her and she could have been just as snobby as he seemed to be.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

I wouldn't say I was hooked yet, but I was definetly interested in reading more to find out what Edward's problem was.
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
Nothing really. Perhaps the shyness, observing and mentally noting everything, thought analysis.

Renee is rather free spirited and Charlie is still in love with her and hasn't let go. Oy, do I know that feeling.

Eric was different from the movie, and my friend and I made fun of him while watching it because he reminded us of exactly someone we work with. Jessica talks, I know girls like that and they don't stop.

Both. Someone just doesn't act like that normally, so it's scary yet intriguing.

Odd. You wonder why he's so irate and the scene where he tries to change his schedule...

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
A little hooked, but more so because of Edward's actions.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

I did relate to Bella a little bit. I'm rather unathletic and very pale. I also tend to be a little shy around new people and hate being the center of attention.

Renee seems a little immature for a mother of a 17 year old. Charlie is very quiet but seems like he is happy to have Bella come stay with him.

Most of the guys seemed like they were interested in Bella as more than a friend, and Jessica wanted in on the attention Bella was getting. Angela seemed like the perfect person for the new girl at school to be friends with.

I was intrigued by Edward because I coudln't figure out what his problem was.

I had no idea what his problem was. He was being very rude.

I was definetly interested in reading more because I wanted to see what was up with Edward.
Bellsuz
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Bellsuz »

No, not at all. The only similarity would be the shyness.

Renee: I felt she was rather selfish and childish. But I did like the closeness she and Bella shared.
Charlie: He seemed quiet and a lot like Bella. I loved the car ride and how they stared out the window while talking about their emotions. I do like how they were both content with being quiet and not needing to fill the silence.

I thought it was funny how they were so excited to have a new person at school. Especially the guys!

I was super intrigued by Edward. I didn't feel scared at all. Did others? I wanted to know all about him and his family.

I couldn't figure it out! I wanted to know what set him off, why he acted the way he did and where he went!

Yes, I was hooked the first time Edward looked Bella's way in the lunchroom.
Image Credit to emaleth @ Vesperarium :)
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

The shyness for one. I have always been like that. Since I have gotten to this age I am now I have gotten over most of it though.

I liked Renee. She is like a free spirit. Charlie seemed serious and laid back.

LOL I thought Jessica was a ditsy person. I liked Angela, Eric seemed annoying and Mike seemed possessive. Tyler, there was no hope for that boy lol.

Okay I will have to admit that I was somewhat intrigued. Mostly because I wanted to see how he was. I was also intrigued with the rest of the Cullens though.

Well I guess he didn't expect to be shocked by her that way. Since nothing like that has ever happened to him then it was sort of surprise.

I was hooked. If the first Chapter doesn't hold my attention then more likely it would take me forever to get through the rest. It was interesting and I wanted to find out what happened next.
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

Isn't the chapter called First Sight?

I related to her in some areas, but others not so much. We both have brown hair, similar heights, both shy (me more so than her), but she thinks alot differently than i do.

I hated Renee, but I thought Charlie was ok. He's a dad-what're you gonna do?

They seemed nice and welcoming. My opinion of them would change in later chapters though.

Intrigued, mostly. I knew from the back of the book that he was a vampire and that they would eventually fall in love...so I was just impatient for the romance to start ;)

I didn't really think much of it.

Not hooked yet, no. But i really liked Stephenie's writing style though. I didnt read the second chapter until a few days after the first actually. Thats when i got hooked lol.
hannaa
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by hannaa »

I've never really related to Bella.

I liked way more Charlie. I'm so different from Renee. Charlie is more like me and I live his personality.

I thought they were normal high school pupils. I didn't like them so much, I thought they were annoying :D

No, not at all becuase I did know what the story was about, I was more interested and I wanted to know more about him.

Like I said, I did know that he was a vampire so I thought it was becuase of that. But I didn't understand why exactly did he behavie like that.

I was totally hooked, I read the whole series in 4 days :D
Sometimes the right thing for one person is the wrong thing for someone else - Charlie
Team Edward And Team Jacob
I'm on the list
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

I related to Bella a bit -- from the perspective of being the new girl, and feeling like she wasn't going to make friends.

They seemed a little over the top! They were the at two extremes -- the friend mom who wasn't really a parent, and the dad who wants to be a dad and doesn't really know how.

Ugh, I disliked Jessica and Mike was -eh-. Kind of irritating. We just see Angela a little bit (if at all) this chapter.

Um... Based on Bella's perspective, I guess I thought he was a little weird!

That it was weird! Tho I knew why he was the way he was.

I can't really answer this question -- I was totally into the series before I started to read Twilight.

Image Image Image
peacelovetwilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by peacelovetwilight »

Like Bella I am extremely clumsy and accident prone. Also I hate to be the centre of attention so I really felt for her starting a new school right in the middle of term.

Charlie seemed to be like a typical father who hasn't seem his daughter as much as he would have liked to. Renee came across as kind of irresponsible.

I thought they seemed like typical high school kids. Jessica seemed like the average popular kid who wants to know everybody's business and talk about them behind their backs. Mike and Angela seemed nice. Eric came across as slightly geeky.

Intrigued. He seemed interesting and I wanted to know why he hated Bella so much.

Well I already knew he was a vampire from the back of the book. So I knew his behaviour was somehow connected to that.

I was interested but I wouldn't say I was hooked. I only really got hooked after Port Angeles.
Like a stalker. An obsessed stalker. An obsessed vampire stalker- Edward Cullen
Edward Cullen used to be my ideal guy. Then Robert Pattinson came along. Now Edward's number two.
you.are.my.heroin
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

Kinda sorta, she was just a normal girl. Oh and she was a clutz just like me.

I thought they were both caring and loving parents in their own ways.

Some of them were nice but I thought that some just wanted to be her friend cause she was new.

OMG I was so intrigued.

I thought he was shy :oops:

I was hooked, I need to know what happened next.
**Kathryn**